“More Than We Expected”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Meadville
Burlington, Canada
“More Than We Expected”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed here from Aug 7 to Aug 9 2008 ... At check in we were greeted with geniune warmth, and presented with a choice of cold drinks.
Room: smaller that we are use to, but nicely presented, clean & comfortable.... reception called to make sure that everything was ok, and could they do anything else....nice touch.
Cookies, a selection of ice cream, popcorn & coffee were availiable in the lobby in the evening. Complienentary breakfast selection (sausage, hash, eggs, cinnamon buns, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt etc) was fine, although we arrived at "rush hr" and some of the hot dishes were slow to be replenished.
All the hotel staff are friendly and always smiling.

Great hotel, great staff!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 26, 2008

The previous reviews held true for us. The staff is the friendliest that I have ever encountered. The rooms are classic Holiday Inn Express tiny, but clean. The breakfast area was well stocked and tasty. I would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dexter, MI
Reviewed May 22, 2008

This was without a doubt the best Hoilday Inn Express I have ever visited. It is evident throughout the building that customer service is their #1 priority. The only comparison I can make is to the Disney Cruise I took with my family (twice) where every person went out of their way to deliver the best customer service. At check in the people were pleasant and helpful and notified me of the available amenities and the nearby restaurants, including mentioning the evening's manager specials. I received coupons for the italian restaurant. Check in went quickly and easily.

When I got to my room I did note it was smaller than other rooms I had been in before, but with a king size bed, desk, TV, and bathroom, I am not sure what I would do with more space. The high speed wireless internet access was perfect. There were candies in the room when I arrived and instructions for connecting to the internet, how to use the shower control, as well as a spills rag with a request to use instead of the regular towels. The normal shampoos, conditioners, and soaps were all there but there were two of each. I only needed to use part of one container but it is nice to know if I had a longer stay I'd always have a reserve. In addition, there was small container of Bath and Body Works lotion!

In addition, although the room was obviously a little older, the maintenance and condition was immaculate. There were little clues all around that show the little things that go wrong in a hotel room are addressed before they become big problems.

The real difference here, though, is the staff. I cannot tell you how many times I have said "Hello" or "Good morning" to a hotel employee in a hallway and had them mumble a response and try to avoid contact as much as possible. Not at Meadville!!! Every person I spoke to greeted me with a warm smile and asked if everything was OK with my stay. I went down to get a burger (the manager's special was a cook out on a grill in front of the hotel) and the buns were all gone. As soon as I turned around to ask for some help there was someone heading toward me with a bag with buns.

This is just a terrific place to stay and I have stayed at many HIE locations that could easily improve signficantly just by doing a few of the things they did at Meadville. I am hoping I get the chance to travel there again!

• Liked — Great Service, Clean and Comfortable Room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe S
Connecticut
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Relatively new hotel, very friendly staff, convenient location in Meadville. We will stay here again on our next visit to the area

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
niagara
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Oh my goodness. We had to drive from Niagara area to DC - on the way we drove past pittsburgh before stopping, but on the way back, we wanted something "halfway plus an hour" - that put us exactly in Meadville. I had originally looked at Cranberry, and was underwhelmed by what I saw - decent choices for $100 it looked like.

But then I saw the reviews on here and called HIE meadville, got the AAA rate of $80 something (can't remember) - and had a wonderful experience from the first telephone contact.

The hotel itself is pleasantly nice - lobby, breakfast area - all kinds of little extras/free foods and drinks all day. The phenomenal customer service continued on arrival.

The downsides of the room - as has been mentioned, it's a bit older but looks to be renovated in the important aspects. So carpet, wallpaper in bathroom, little nooks and crannies were not a treat on the eyes.

So that's the bad - I can't even list all the good.

- the towels - soft, nice, an "oops" towel by the sink for spills
- the toiletries - nice shampoo/conditioner and bath and body works lotion - plus the extras you don't seem to get anymore like shoe shine wipe, etc
- the pillowcases - labeled as to whether pillow is soft or firm
- the coffee maker - FINALLY - hot chocolate for those of us who don't drink coffee or tea!!!!
- the artwork in the rooms and hallways, the bed, the little chair even though the room is small - all fantastic

They really and truly went the extra mile to ensure provision of the things that matter. We got there after a long, difficult weekend (death in family), I'm pregnant and wasn't in great shape (meaning tired, lightheaded, etc) - and it was our anniversary and we had forgotten in the grief of the weekend.

we asked them to order a snowstorm so we'd be stuck there the next night! (They offered to remove our tires instead, so as not to have to deal with snow.)

We ate at the Italian restaurant, got a 10% coupon from the hotel without even asking, and were just amazed, it seems this town is a deep well of courtesy and service. I just kept looking around and wondering how they are able to offer so much, so generously.

I can't say enough - we are VERY critical, we do a lot of research, and we have stayed in a lot of hotels. This is one place I will recommend widely, we will hope to stay at again, and it's a place I hope continues to do very well - they deserve it.

• Liked — Quieter than our street but right off highway, phenomenal service, great amenities
  • Disliked — older carpet, drain in tub, older heating system
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annniagara_8
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed December 7, 2007

A very nice hotel, the staff and service sets it apart from the usual "if you wanted a 5 star hotel you should have stayed in one" attitude I often encounter in HIE properties. The entire hotel is clean (parking lot, lobby, halls and rooms) and everyone was helpful and friendly. There was a manager's "reception" Monday thru Thursday in the lobby featuring a different theme every day.

It is also conveniently located just off the highway, and close to downtown Meadville. It shares a parking lot with an Italian restuarant and a Perkins, with an Applebee's just across the street. It has all the usual business services plus a great wireless internet connection.

I stayed in a single room that featured a nice bed, clean, almost like new beddings, and a decent sized bathroom. The room, typical for a single at an HIE (meaning on the small side), also had the usual iron/coffee maker/hairdryer and a generous sized bathroom. Due to a scheduling conflict the hotel had to put me in a suite for the price of a single on my last night... it was awesome, with plenty of room, it also had the usual suite accessories of a mini fridge, microwave, bar area.

The hotel also offers a complimentary breakfast, it is standard continental breakfast fare, plus cereal and a few hot entrees. It was good but not spectacular, although its better than nothing and probably beats a breakfast sandwich from a drive thru place.

• Stayed December 2007
3 Thank purple_gorillaz
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 30, 2007

This is, by far, the best hotel in Meadville! The beds are new, the staff is friendly, but most importantly it has WiFi access. The breakfast in the morning is also very good. If you have to stay in the Meadville area, stay here!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jalst60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meadville
Hampton Inn Meadville
Quality Inn and Conference Center
Cobblestone Hotel and Suites
Cobblestone Hotel and Suites
#1 of 1 in Greenville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Meadville? Share your experiences!