“This was my 8th visit”
Review of Mountain Dale Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McClure
Mountain Dale Farm
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have been coming here since 2006. We always stay in the New Cabin which is ideal for two people. If you like cats this is definitely the place to come. Just about every year we see new cats and often kittens. We took one home in 2009 and another one this year. There are two recent litters still there, but the kittens are too feral to pick up. The two mothers are very friendly.

Chickens were laying about 10 eggs every day. Some are blue in color. Lots of fun to gather them.

Son Issac raises beef and you can order nice cuts from his store N S Truman. They deliver to farm most days.

We will be back for 10 days next year.

If you want to go to a small country church, there are several within 15 minutes. I like St. John's Ridge Lutheran on Old Stage Road. Beautiful view and friendly people.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brad S

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a wonderful relaxing time on the farm. We spent 2 nights. We enjoyed walking the grounds, hanging out on the porch of our cabin and talking to other guests. The highlight of the trip of course was when our 2 daughters were able to feed the animals. It was an amazing experience and they went above and beyond with patience and all the info shared. This was toward the beginning of a 12 day road trip we were on and at the end of the trip both girls listed holding the baby bunnies as one of the highlights of the whole trip. We loved that we gathered the eggs and had them for breakfast the next morning. The whole thing was a relaxing and extremely enjoyable experience for us all.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Amber M
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We got there around midnight, after a long ride from our home. Felt bad that we had to wake up Sally, but she was nice to hand us the map of the farm to guide us to our cabin. Next day, we woke up refreshed. The whole experience was just memorable. Just to be away from the hectic and wifi, it was worth it. My kids really got to enjoy. My teenagers made friends, whom they made plans to come back next year around the same time. so i guess now we have an annual destination. The chores, the interaction with the animals and farm was lot of fun. The cabin was clean and had the necessary kitchen materials. We didn't need to eat out, we went grocery shopping for good daily meals...and the fresh eggs that kids picked for breakfast everyday.
Our cabin was for 8 people, it was 6 of use and we were all comfortable. There were two bedrooms upstairs, 1 queen and 1 twin beds each bedroom and a bunk bed on the first floor.
Just amazing and peaceful.

Room Tip: They sell souvenir apparel with Farm logo.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Thank Eli S. F
Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a delightful discovery - both for the pastoral setting and for the sweet proprietors: Ken and Sally! We had planned a quiet weekend away in another part of PA, then changed our location at the last minute to support our friends in their time of need. While we cam to Mountain Dale out of necessity, we will return because of our wonderful experience. Gregory & Colleen Davidson

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GregoryDav
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In July 2012 I stayed at Sally and Ken's Mountain Dale Farm bed and breakfast for a week. The cast of farm animals included chickens, geese, peacocks, rabbits, horses, cows, goats, pigs, kittens and an old german shepherd named Brittany. Since I am from the city I found living at the farm very interesting and fun. I even got a chance to collect the eggs from the henhouse!

Their farm was the base of operations for me and six other students taking the McDonald's Digital Nature Photography Workshop. Sally and Ken were very gracious and made us feel right at home. Ken is also an auctioneer and the farm has a treasure trove of old signs, antiques, paintings, statues, and other very cool stuff making it rich with photographic opportunities. My room was located directly above the kitchen in the main house so every morning I woke up to the smell of homecooking. The delicious food was prepared fresh everyday. I highly recommend spending time at their farm to explore the beautiful surroundings and to enjoy a peaceful retreat.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We have used Mountaindale farm 3 years for our family reunion and plan on going back again this year. We have had between 25-40 people and Sally and Ken (the owners) have been extremely helpful with making sure everything goes well. The kids love saving scraps to feed the animals and hiking in the woods. The parents love being able to let the kids play outside without having to worry about traffic. With so many of us we end up using 4-5 of the cabins plus the Apple storage building for our common space which has a pool table/ping pong table/lg room for gathering/plenty of folding tables and chairs so everyone could sit together for meals and a large kitchen that was perfect for all the cooking we did.

Keep in mind this is a working farm in the middle of a country setting. There are animals on that grounds that will make noise and I also have seen a mouse or two but thats all part of being on a farm. For the people who commented on the mismatched furniture/animal noises/etc I would suggest staying in a hotel where you can have industrial furniture with no character and contend with the noise from the hallway and next room. For me I would spend my vacation on this farm any time

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Gary F
Reviewed October 13, 2011

After having read some of the reviews on this site, I was a bit nervous about having booked our stay at Mountain Dale. It was at least however, a reminder that we were visiting a farm and should expect it to be just that.

We never heard the dog barking, in fact Brittany the Shepherd was an absolute doll. She loves people and is super affectionate. Was there farm equipment and random "stuff" hanging around the grounds? Yes, but it didn't bother us at all - it's a working farm; the owners are very busy doing their daily chores, I'm sure landscaping and groundskeeping is not at the top of their priority list! I wouldn't have felt nervous letting our 2 & 3-year olds walk around with area with us.

I'm not going to lie about the mice - there was definitely a "pitter patter" going on in the attic of our cottage that brought about a couple, "did you hear that?" ...but even that was not as disturbing as one might think.

You have to put yourself in the context of your environment / surroundings. I would advise bringing a white noise machine if you don't want to wake up with the roosters, but that's just common sense, you're on a farm! Can't speak to the reviewer who found animals in the dresser drawers except again, you're on a farm and these are not hotel rooms--heck the buildings are probably not occupied full time and they don't have a full-time cleaning staff so I'm sure it's a struggle for the owners.

We and our friends enjoyed seeing all the animals, especially the baby ducks and chicks. We also saw a calf, goats, sheep, geese, goats, a peacock, a baby barn kitten, and all sorts of chickens wandering about. I tried scaring the fainting goats but he just kinda stumbled away - guess it takes a lot to spook them now!

We didn't get the opportunity to do any of the chores, our stay was brief. But the family was friendly and there certainly wasn't any sense of obligation that we needed to do any hard labor. If you want to have a quiet, lazy stay, I think the option is there to let it be what you want.

We stayed in the "Log house" which is just the right size for four people (2 full-size beds). Larger groups should be prepared to use the bunk beds, as that's what the remaining capacity listed on the site is. The furniture was dated and eclectic, but clean and certainly useable. The fridge looked new and super clean.

The TV looked like something my grandma had back in the day but as the folks there say, people don't come here to watch TV (bring a little DVD player though if you have kids looking for their favorite shows, you literally get 2 channels!).

The nearest restaurant (or anything) is 10-15 minutes away, so be prepared to either cook your own food or do a little driving.

I felt compelled to give some comments to counteract some of the foul reviews I read, and tell folks that if they're prepared to stay on a farm and accept what comes with that, you'll have a really nice time here. We look forward to bringing our boys next time to get familiar with the animals and learn how they are cared-for.

Room Tip: If you don't want to sleep on bunk beds, confirm ahead of time which cabin will best suit you an...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Brian T

Been to Mountain Dale Farm? Share your experiences!