“Great location for weekend getaway”

Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Matamoras
Reviewed June 8, 2007

We stayed here overnight on our way to the Poconos. The hotel was clean, beds comfortable, bathroom clean. We had dinner & breakfast in the hotel. Dinner was OK but not the greatest. Breakfast was better considering its free. Caution - even though the hotel has 40 acres of land in the rear, the ducks or geese have control of these 40 acres & their droppings are all over the ground. I tiptoed around the droppings because the view from the path looking towards the pond or lake is awesome. Too bad you can't walk to the canopy & romance with your significant other by the lake. On the positive side, the hotel does have a patio that's clean & no geese droppings. The only problem is you have a partial view of the pond. I had to do some studying & the patio was a great place to study outside. As for location, there's plenty of shopping in Matamoras & Port Jervis. Also the hotel is ideal for Delaware Water Gap adventure.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy L
There are newer reviews for Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing

Reviewed February 11, 2007

This was the third time we had been to this particular hotel. It was recommended to us three years ago by someone whose family frequented the lobster buffet. the first time I booked a room I did it through [--] and got a good rate. When we go to the desk. The staff mentioned that they had just put jacuzzi tubs in some of the the rooms. We were able to go see the room before deciding. The tub was brand new and the the room was spotless. Mind you this was the first time. We ate at the buffet and had a great time.

The second time we went the room smelled very smokey. WE burned candled that we had brought from pocono candles to get rid of the smell. We had the lobster buffet and had a great time.

The third time we went, just this past weekend. We were very disappointed. We got the same room(202) and the whole room smelled like smoke, the air/heater was no working properly, and the knob was broken on the tub so that you could not adjust the jets. The TV remote was not working properly. Also the bathroom was very dusty under the vanity. They had called to tell us that the pool would be closed for most of Febuary to be painted. I thought that it was a poor choice with presidents weekend and valentines day coming up. The buffet was good. However, some of the lobsters were just too big. If you donot have your own teeth you had better ask for smaller lobsters. The free breakfast was nice however, it didnot include juice. I wonder what people did who had children who did not drink coffee. We would definitely go back for the buffet, but I donot think we would stay there again. It definitely has slipped within the past three years.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank champagnewishes
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I have stayed here 3 times and am planning a trip back for Valentines Day. The key to staying here and enjoying yourself is remembering that this hotel is a Best Western...in the middle of the boonies of Eastern Pennsylvania. This is not a 5 Star hotel in New York City and they don't claim to be. I have stayed here several times because I had reasonable expectations that they fulfilled.

First of all I was drawn to this hotel for the Lobster Buffet, and to tell you the truth I love lobster so much, I might have made the drive from Central, CT even if there wasn't a hotel attached to stay at. Also, coming from CT, an all you can eat lobster buffet for $45-50 bucks is a great deal, you won't find it in New England (if you can even find one at all, the only other one I ever saw in Stonington, ct is 70 bucks) Anyway, the lobster varies depending on the season (you can't resonably expect an amazing huge yet fresh lobster in December people, come on). I always have fun going to the bar after dinner. It is nice for dinner and drinks to celebrate a special occasion but I wouldn't have an event here like a wedding unless I was really hurtin for cash.

Moving on... yes some of the rooms aren't that attractive, but if you're paying $60 on expedia, what do you expect? I wouldn't pay $200 for these rooms though. For the people complaining about bathtubs, I reccomend getting one of their jacuzzi rooms, those are so awesome. Also--free wireless internet-can't beat that.

The lobby is attractive, looks like it was decorated by a grandma, but thats ok-alot of grandmas stay here--one even has a cute little doll shop right next to the reception desk.

As others have said, I have experienced problems with the large groups that frequent this hotel--alot of school groups, some from the inner city, pass through on ski trips or other excursions and can be a bit loud. I feel for both myself and for the staff when this happens, because its not easy to go up to a customer and ask them to be quite, we're all entitlement b*tches these days. This is a problem with people's behavior and common courtesy, not the hotel staff. I had yelly teenagers outside my door, all it took was a stern warning and they would go away, if it gets worse, try asking for one of their chaparones.

The only beef I had with these people is that if you go to their websites, wether at bestwestern.com or expedia/priceline/whatever, theres a little bit of a bait and switch. They try and make it look like this hotel is right on the edge of the Delaware River, but it isn't--its next to a shabby man made pond, the river is several hundred feet behind it, blocked by woods. So... I dunno, they advertise alot of watersports and other nature-iffic things to do but then you get there and that water you saw in the photos isn't really the Delaware River. Hmm...

A plus however is that one time I left my cell phone in the room, I called back 3 days later and they had it at the front desk! Wow! Honest housekeepers! You won't get any international calls on your lost cell phone at this place!

Overall, my fiancee and I come here alot, because we know how to make our own fun, we love lobsters and seafood, and we don't go searching for mold.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ElevatorGirl
Reviewed January 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western for only one night in January. Our main reason for going to Matamoras was to indulge in the "all you can eat lobster/seafood buffet" at the Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing in Matamoras. After checking prices for a room, we decided to stay the night also. We paid only $60.00 through Expedia. I would never be willing to pay more than that for this room. The hotel is undergoing renovations but apparently not much is scheduled to update the rooms. The molding was missing along the floor line, there was a slightly musty smell to the room and the carpet has seen better days. I don't know who chose the tile for the bathroom floor, but it seriously reminded me of tile in a public bathroom, at a gas station. Just very ugly and dirty looking. I refused to step on the floor and actually got extra towels from the pool area to put on the bathroom floor. (The pool was disgusting and cloudy - looked like a big bacteria trap) It appeared the hotel attempted to fix the bathtub areas by putting one of those overfitting tubs on top of the old one. Mold could still be seen in the cracks and grout. Not good. However, we did go mainly for the buffet and after reading some of the other reviews wasn't expecting too much. I was happily surprised. Although not spic and span, I didn't see any over-the-top dirtiness. It really was all you can eat lobster and other seafood. There was a live piano player. If you want to really stuff your face with seafood, have no qualms about going here. The price tag is a bit hefty at about $46.00 a person but my husband ate six lobsters before moving on to the other goodies. Also, they offered Karoke in bar down the hallway, which was actually very crowded and fun. Overall, this hotel needs a lot more renovating than they are willing to invest. Not the cleanest. Not the nicest. But probably one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Just be forewarned not to expect too much and you'll be alright.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank ayla912
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Stayed here for two nights recently. The rooms run about $80/night, I believe. I stayed in a room with two double beds, a desk and two chairs. The room is relatively large and pretty clean. There is construction going on, but it wasn't that problematic. My major hang-up was the bathroom. The tub is pretty old and the drop-ceiling is a bit dirty. The cleaning service was fine and the hall closet is large enough to store luggage and business attire. The complimentary breakfast wasn't bad either. A free buffet is offered (pancakes, eggs, home fries and toast) and it was pretty filling. Matamoras isn't a huge place, so I didn't expect much from the hotel. It is a pretty average hotel. Not the best, but certainly not the worst that I've stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 9, 2006

I didn't stay at the hotel, but my husband took my son and I to the Seafood Buffet--Cracked open THREE lobsters that smelled like amonia--YUK-told the Hostess and they stated that they told the kitchen thats all they could do.....meanwhile I'm out $150.00 and had ONE lobster-after all I didn't want to eat any more after I had the THREE bad ones-

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Badlobster
Reviewed December 10, 2005

I was in the wedding party of a wedding that was being held here. We arrived the night before and checked in with no problem. I noticed that there was a strange looking sediment in the toilet, but didn't want to complain at that point, I didn't realize the cause of it until the next day. The next morning (the day of the wedding) I was supposed to get ready early and then go help the Bride with her hair and makeup. I went to take a shower, and promptly found out that there was NO WATER in the entire hotel. This posed a huge problem, because by the time the water finally came back on, and I was able to shower, I was too late to go help the Bride get ready. While I was leaving the room to go to the ceremony, I also noticed that the lock on my door was not functioning properly and the door could not close all the way. I mentioned it to the front desk staff, who courteously said it would be fixed. When we came back to the hotel for the wedding reception, I still noticed the lock was broken. Feeling uneasy that I was still unable to properly secure my belongings, I mentioned it the the front desk again. By the end of the night, the lock was still not fixed. FYI - the party the hotel hosted was very poorly run - the food ran out, wrong colors on the wedding cake, lack of waitstaff, ETC. Anyway, after a night of dancing, most of the guests just went upstairs a fell right asleep without thinking we had to shower. The next morning, mistakenly expecting that we would be able to take showers, we found that we were dreadfully wrong and in fact the hotel had the same problem as the day before - NO WATER! Breakfast was pretty bad too. The scrambled eggs were dried out and the potatoes were cold. Upon returning from breakfast, we also found out from a room attendant that the water issue was a recurring problem that this hotel routinely experiences. She was actually using water from the pool to fill up toilets so that they could be flushed. I went back to my room and started to pack up. Searching for a missing shoe, I pulled the bed comforter away from the edge of the floor and found a nice collection of beer bottle caps sitting there. The hotel issued everybody a discount because of the water, however, our problems went much further beyond not having water. I actually work in a hotel myself in NYC, and this would have warranted at least one comped night. We spoke to the Asst General Manager upon check-out about all of the things that had gone wrong with our stay, and he was extremely unsympathetic. He actually said to me that our bad experience was not his problem, and refused to offer any further compensation. Stay here at your own risk!!

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank Lisamarie3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#4 of 6 in Milford
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center

Been to Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing? Share your experiences!