“Not a good choice”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Matamoras
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
“Not a good choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

We have been staying at this property for a number of years and were very disappointed in the rundown condition of the hotel and the smell in the hall and rooms. Rooms were not very clean. Pool closed since last spring? Seafood buffet also did not live up to what they say they offer. One small piece of prime rib was served in three hours and only seven people got a chance to taste it. Just a few dried out cake/pie desserts were displayed. We saw a table next to us served cannoli's so we asked for some and told there were no more left. Serving uttensils at buffet hot stations so caked with food very unappitizing. Our server was so slow clearing dirty plates we ended up bussing our own table. This used to be a good place but we wont go back again. I'm sorry to say the food, service and cleaniness of the place has significantly deteriorated.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Gloversville, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

There was a musty smell on the entire 3rd floor as soon as you stepped out of the elevator. I opened the bed to find a hair which did not belong to either of us ! Entering in the bathroom to see a hair on the tissue box too. This is totally unacceptable.We were in a king jacuzzi suite and didn't feel like it was an upgraded room at all. The jacuzzi only had 2 working jets out of 6. I went to the desk to say I wanted a complete bed change and and covers for the couch (it was stained and ripped) which they did.Who wants to go through all of this for a stay??? The pool is closed "indefinitely" we were told, but only when we asked. The seafood feast was good and bad -I say bad because what they advertise will be served is inaccurate.Many items are not available at all and some items are so limited (prime rib -tasted good but was too tough to chew) that only a handful of patrons receive any. We will not stay at this property again. I think the motto here is -we will take your $$$ and run. We did not get what we paid for.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn - really stay at the Hampton Inn, it has to be better.
1 Thank Love2travel1147802

Travelers are raving about these Matamoras hotels

Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

Nice surprise on a long trip. Stopped here at 2:00 a.m. Quick check in, reasonable price. Slept well in comfortable bed with clean rooms. Beautiful lake outside our window. Breakfast was very good with lots of choices. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Very few nice hotels in this area if traveling north. Glad we found this one which was clean and ha...
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had real trouble finding a hotel for one weekend night that had any kind of decent rating on TA. We ended up 40+ miles from our destination at the Best Western in Matamoras, PA spending more than we wanted. We should have stayed at a "NoTell Motel" for better value and service.
I booked through Expedia and was confirmed for a standard two double beds. When we checked in, the room was a King bed. We were two friends on a trip and were not about to share a bed! The front desk could/would do nothing since they were 100% booked and more - they just didn't care. If we left, they would certainly fill the room. The room had a pull out couch (picture the rack from the Inquisition!) and that is where my buddy slept-ouch!
When we opened the bed, we found a spent beer can (see photo) next to the couch. So much for good housekeeping.
The toilet, when flushed, ran on and on. You had to manually reseat the flapper valve in the tank to quiet the leak - really annoying in the middle of the night.
The room smelled of something chemical like "Fabrese" which gave me a sore throat and bothered my eyes in the night. We eventually slept with the window open although it was 40 degrees outside.
The microfridge in the room sat on the floor - not on a stand or table - and was old and scarred. (See photo) It looked like an alley cat after a fight! Not at all inviting.

When we checked out at 6AM we gave the front desk the beer can and told them the cleaners had obviously missed it and told them about the smell - I essentially got an "Oh Well - why are you telling me?" from the clerk on duty.

For what we paid, and the fact I am a Gold Elite member in Best Western rewards, I would have expected more courtesy and just plain better customer service. Do yourself a favor and stay next door!

Room Tip: First floor = musty smell!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tridcod
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

On the plus side, the room was spacious and well-furnished. There was nice water pressure in the shower unlike many hotels these days. The free self-serve breakfast had a nice variety. The property is showing its age, but rate is reasonable. On the downside, the room had a very stale odor; possibly it used to be a smoking room and the residue lingers. After awhile my throat became irritated. The mattress was saggy. There was hair on the bathroom floor. Lastly, an annoying mechanical noise outside the room came on and off seemingly every few minutes all night long. It wasn't the most restful room. I wish I had selected another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: If your room has an unpleasant odor or you hear noises, ask for another room right away.
1 Thank Yolanda M
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

This Best Western is an oasis in a long stretch with little civilization en route to Boston from the South. To me it is so good to stop somewhere that is not a cookie-cutter limited service hotel, that I do not mind that It is more than a little bit worn at the edges. As I enjoyed a well-made martini at the restaurant while looking over the menu and hearing the waitress tell all the ingredients in the $59 all-you-can-eat lobster buffet (which we passed on), I kept watching for Robert Irvine to show up. I chose the salmon; it was overcooked and covered with an uninspired bourbon sauce. Still, the staff was friendly, the rooms were comfortable, and the experience was a welcome rest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jessecj
Suparmanto, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn at Hunt's Landing, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We appreciate your business and hope you will come back and see us again soon.
If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 570 491 2400

Suparmanto/General Manager
Provincetown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We've been staying at Hunt's Landing since it was built and run by the Hunt Family back in the 80's. It was sold a while back and the new owners have maintained the same high standards. I moved out of the area a year ago and on a trip to the Poconos stopped for the night with my daughter and grandson. The staff is very friendly and efficient and the food is great. A free hot breakfast buffet is a treat. We'll stay again and again.

Room Tip: A room in the back overlooking the pond is nice and quiet. Keep away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DawnB144
Dear Valued Guest,

Suparmanto/General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hotel Fauchere
#1 of 6 in Milford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn at Hunt's Landing? Share your experiences!