“Stay Next Door”

Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Matamoras
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had real trouble finding a hotel for one weekend night that had any kind of decent rating on TA. We ended up 40+ miles from our destination at the Best Western in Matamoras, PA spending more than we wanted. We should have stayed at a "NoTell Motel" for better value and service.
I booked through Expedia and was confirmed for a standard two double beds. When we checked in, the room was a King bed. We were two friends on a trip and were not about to share a bed! The front desk could/would do nothing since they were 100% booked and more - they just didn't care. If we left, they would certainly fill the room. The room had a pull out couch (picture the rack from the Inquisition!) and that is where my buddy slept-ouch!
When we opened the bed, we found a spent beer can (see photo) next to the couch. So much for good housekeeping.
The toilet, when flushed, ran on and on. You had to manually reseat the flapper valve in the tank to quiet the leak - really annoying in the middle of the night.
The room smelled of something chemical like "Fabrese" which gave me a sore throat and bothered my eyes in the night. We eventually slept with the window open although it was 40 degrees outside.
The microfridge in the room sat on the floor - not on a stand or table - and was old and scarred. (See photo) It looked like an alley cat after a fight! Not at all inviting.

When we checked out at 6AM we gave the front desk the beer can and told them the cleaners had obviously missed it and told them about the smell - I essentially got an "Oh Well - why are you telling me?" from the clerk on duty.

For what we paid, and the fact I am a Gold Elite member in Best Western rewards, I would have expected more courtesy and just plain better customer service. Do yourself a favor and stay next door!

Room Tip: First floor = musty smell!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank tridcod
There are newer reviews for Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing

Reviewed October 12, 2011

On the plus side, the room was spacious and well-furnished. There was nice water pressure in the shower unlike many hotels these days. The free self-serve breakfast had a nice variety. The property is showing its age, but rate is reasonable. On the downside, the room had a very stale odor; possibly it used to be a smoking room and the residue lingers. After awhile my throat became irritated. The mattress was saggy. There was hair on the bathroom floor. Lastly, an annoying mechanical noise outside the room came on and off seemingly every few minutes all night long. It wasn't the most restful room. I wish I had selected another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: If your room has an unpleasant odor or you hear noises, ask for another room right away.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yolanda M
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This Best Western is an oasis in a long stretch with little civilization en route to Boston from the South. To me it is so good to stop somewhere that is not a cookie-cutter limited service hotel, that I do not mind that It is more than a little bit worn at the edges. As I enjoyed a well-made martini at the restaurant while looking over the menu and hearing the waitress tell all the ingredients in the $59 all-you-can-eat lobster buffet (which we passed on), I kept watching for Robert Irvine to show up. I chose the salmon; it was overcooked and covered with an uninspired bourbon sauce. Still, the staff was friendly, the rooms were comfortable, and the experience was a welcome rest.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jessecj
Suparmanto, General Manager at Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We appreciate your business and hope you will come back and see us again soon.
If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 570 491 2400

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We've been staying at Hunt's Landing since it was built and run by the Hunt Family back in the 80's. It was sold a while back and the new owners have maintained the same high standards. I moved out of the area a year ago and on a trip to the Poconos stopped for the night with my daughter and grandson. The staff is very friendly and efficient and the food is great. A free hot breakfast buffet is a treat. We'll stay again and again.

Room Tip: A room in the back overlooking the pond is nice and quiet. Keep away from the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HHHB10

Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel is a great value, very convinient off 84, and offers a GREAT hot breakfast for free. The beds are super comfortable. The check in staff is great.
Unfortunately our bathroom smelled badly of urine. You know that 1AM bar room bathroom smell? I made the mistake of walking into the bathroom in bare feet. My feet stuck to the floor!
You can imagine how terrific all other aspects of the hotel are if I give 4 stars after the pee issue.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank MetMet
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I live in the area and thought we'd try out the restaurant at Best Western last night. WOW, my first impression was this place is dirty. The hallway smells like cat urine(they allow pets in this hotel). The waitress was really nice, that was the only plus. The menu read like a diner, yet scaled back. We ordered the salmon and a deluxe cheeseburger. My husband has never in our marriage sent a dish back to a kitchen, he took one bite of this salmon and said no way. My hamburger smelt like old meat, on an old potato bun, with cold fries. Never again is all I can say. Maybe if they get some new cooks/management and better food selection I would try again, But for a Sunday evening and only 3 dining couples something should be done, this is a nice location for a dinner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lynn g
Suparmanto, General Manager at Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our restaurant.

On behalf of our entire restaurant team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At the Edgewater restaurant we strive every day to provide superior customer service and excellent food quality. I am sorry we were not able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I am really sorry to disappoint you this time, please allow me to make it up to you and to invite you back to try us one more time. Call me directly when you would be in, I can be reached at 570-491-2400 ext. 655. We look forward to welcoming you back.

SIncerely,

Reviewed September 13, 2011

After looking at horrible hotel reviews in neighboring towns, we were pleased with this Best Western. Didn't look at the nearby Hampton though. Nice Pool, a scenic spot for cocktails outside, unless there's a wedding, full restaurant, free breakfast there (we missed it). About 50 minutes from Bethel Woods. Would stay again. Booking online is best.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank marill2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#4 of 6 in Milford
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center

Been to Best Western Inn at Hunt's Landing? Share your experiences!