“Group meal was spot on!”
Review of The Percy Arms

The Percy Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chilworth
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: SET IN THE PICTURESQUE VILLAGE OF CHILWORTH IN THE HEART OF THE SURREY HILLS, THE PERCY ARMS IS AN ELEGANT COUNTRY PUB AND GRILLHOUSE WITH LUXURIOUS ROOMS, SERVING MODERN BRITISH CUISINE WITH A SOUTH AFRICAN TWIST. ALREADY AN INSTITUTION FOR ITS STEAKS AND CUTS, THE PERCY ARMS CONTINUES ALSO TO OFFER A WIDE RANGE OF POULTRY, FRESH FISH AND VEGETARIAN DISHES TO TEMPT EVEN THE MOST FAITHFUL CARNIVORE. Daily specials’ boards include game roasts, specialty steaks and tempting South African dishes. The elegant formality of the dining room is perfect for a meal with friends or family, while the traditional bar is ideal for a relaxing pint or a glass of one of the specially selected wines. The cosy fireplaces are the perfect spot to wind down after a busy day.
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We went to this restaurant at the start of the month for my dads 60th birthday. We had a table booked and although the restaurant was packed when we went in our table was ready and we were seated immediately. All for us adults all had the Five meat carvery and a dessert. The carvery can not be faulted here, all food was amazing and there was more more and more than enough of it! I had the sticky toffee pudding as dessert and whilst this was also gorgeous, I could happily of had a portion half the size (of course I attempted to eat it all!!) My 3 year old had the kids macaroni cheese, which I also couldn't fault, would happily recommend this to anyone!
Afterwards the kids played outside, amazing views and a great kids climbing frame. Also looked as though the BBQ was pretty good too, although have no first hand experience of this!

1  Thank Rebecca S
There are newer reviews for The Percy Arms

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed a night here, the room was immaculate, very clean. It had a vaulted ceiling and well decorated. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The food was very nice, I had a starter of pate. I made a bit of a mistake ordering my main. I ordered a full rack of ribs, in hindsight I should have gone for the half rack, I have never seen so many ribs! Breakfast in the morning was very nice. I could tell the bacon and sausage was very good quality. The eggs perfectly cooked, which seems to be rare nowadays. We will be returning to this great place.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Visited pretty much a year on (thanks tripadvisor for the reminder). We went as we wanted to sit outside, have a great view in a lovely setting and on this The Percy Arms most certainly delivers. Views of over St Martha's were beautiful and the garden was full of families, couples and largely well behaved dogs. Menu continues to have a S African theme and for mid-week fare we we went for the chilli burger and rack of ribs. Both dishes were ample, well cooked, although the ribs would have benefited from additional sauce. Like recent reviews we got caught up in the help yourself debacle.....basic things like pepper weren't in the self service station, napkins had run out (somewhat of a necessity with ribs) and yes the blonde scowling waitress/manager who gets such publicity here was in attendance. Price is pretty comparable to similar pubs in the area so no complaints on that regard other than there's no 'discount' for the absence of any service and other than the food being dumped on your table they are clearly saving on staff costs as routing any requests back to the bar.

So overall food is good, setting makes up for a lot (and yes on a lovely summer's night we probably would go back) but would do so in the knowledge that this place doesn't get customer service, they don't really care (otherwise it would be staffed properly - owners should visit the Queens Head or Onslow Arms locally to see how it could be done) and the poor barman (only one on duty on the busiest night of the year) would get some help! And if the service met the quality of the cooking it could be a great advert for South Africa. At the moment it's not.

2  Thank Knightsbridgetripper
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We just stayed for 1 night - rare escape from the kids - and had a lovely dinner in the restaurant. South African themed food was delicious - one of the biggest and tastiest plates of food I've ever had and reasonably priced. The room was good and the bed comfortable. All in all it was a really good stay.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Having been to the arms several times I had no hesitation in taking antipodean friend over for a visit, on this occasion the waitress' really got themselves in a tis but having mucked up the order(twice) the food came and was great, shame the attention to detail couldn't match previous visits nevertheless quality place to go, eat drink and be happy