2,340 results
All reviews roman towers fantasy apple get away champagne tower paradise stream breakfast and dinner private pool gift shop ping pong forever lovers year anniversary romantic getaway game room paddle boats heart shaped pool mini golf video games
Selected filters
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We felt like we were living in the 70s, with the cheesey rooms, music, and bad food. You've got to take the whole experience lightly and have fun with it. The staff was accomodating if you had complaints, but they are clearly trying to cut costs all over the place. One of the more annoying places that they cheaped out was the lack of fitted sheets on the circular beds, but we dealt with it. Also, if you get a massage, make sure you give them lots of directions, as they are novices (although professional) and don't ask you any questions regarding pressure.

Regarding the room: Spent three nights at Pocono Palace. We had booked the Fantasy Apple room. It was just fair. Bed was extremely uncomfortable, sinking in the middle. Room was outdated and rundown, but generally clean (with the exception of stains above the bed...don't even want to think about what that was). Because the mattress was so unbearable, we complained the next morning and were told they would bring us a different mattress. Our toilet was also backed up and we didn't want to wait around to have these things dealt with, so they offered a complimentary upgrade to the Champagne Towers. This room was much nicer, cleaner, and a little more modern. Had we known in advance, we definitely would have booked the Champagne Towers or the Roman Towers, as it is definitely worth the price difference. It was about as cheesey as it gets, but this was what we were looking for, so we laughed about it and enjoyed the heart shaped pool (which was bigger than the Fantasy Apple pool), the mirrored starry ceiling, etc. Only problem with this room was broken A/C. They quickly sent maintenance over and the room eventually cooled off (about 12 hrs later and after the guy turned off the heat in the swimming pool room).

Regarding the food: It was really quite awful, if you are a foodie. Most people there seemed to enjoy the food, but having been spoiled growing up in Manhattan with terrific food, I thought it was barely edible. We checked in late the first night and were brought free food from the cafe. This was just disgusting. Soggy, undercooked fries and bland chicken breast with fat and skin on it. At the breakfast buffet we struggled to find enough edible food to fill our stomachs for the day ahead. Fruit wasn't ripe at all, eggs were the fake kind, and don't even get me started on the bagels. Saturday night lobster/steak dinner was the best meal we had there. Sun night dinner buffet was tolerable, but we definitely didn't go up for seconds, and dessert bar was just pathetic (Cool Whip and cheap cake, literally). Getting a table for 2 was never a problem.

Regarding the activities: Actually, not too many complaints here. I mean, when was the last time you even thought about doing archery, rollerskating, or playing Bingo? So the facilities weren't the newest and half the equipment in the game room was broken or missing balls and ate our tokens...we didn't let it bother us. Played a couple games of pool, ping pong, and mini golf. This is no Dave & Busters, but that's not what you go to Pocono Palace to do. Not so newlywed game was hilarious with Eric, but glad we didn't volunteer to participate, as the questions were really personal and embarrassing (e.g., trying to match up what each person's orgasm sounds like).

Bottom line: Go into it knowing that this isn't a fancy hotel with great food. It's a cheesey place that's been around for decades and, as far as I know, the only place you can have a pool in your room and a champagne glass shaped whirlpool. If you are looking for someplace close to NYC, away from beach traffic, and "different", you'll have fun.

Date of stay: July 2006
22  Thank FellowTraveler29903
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Ok, my husband and I read these reviews first and we were pretty nervous about our quick little one night stay at Pocono Palace. We're in our late 20s and had never done an all-inclusive, or any type of resort before.

Yeah its cheesy - when you pull in there is a heart shaped sign that says "Entering the Land of Love" and the tone is set. You walk into the lobby and theres an overwhelming smell of rose air freshener. There's a giant fireplace and big red couches, and yeah, that's Pocono Palace.

We stayed in a Fairway Suite. Our room had a round king size bed and while I was ok, my husband didn't sleep well in it. We had a heart-shaped hot tub surrounded by mirrors, a fireplace and a pretty nice bathroom with room for two (or more) in the shower. Ok, there were ants by the window, but I mentioned it at the front desk and it was handled quickly. We had brought disinfectant spray and cleaning products just in case, but everything was spotless - dated, used, but spotless.

Overdid it with the bubble bath we brought for the hot tub and spent some time with a room full of suds, so do bring the bubble bath, but go easy on it.

It poured all weekend, so we didn't get to do anything outside...that really detracted from the visit, but we did play ping pong, we enjoyed the indoor pool and waterfall hottub, and the evening entertainment...this is where the cheese kicks in if you're young, or you just act young...first we played bingo....to get us into it, if you were one number away you had to either bark like a dog or meow...then the band came on. "Group du jour" I'm not kidding...they were like any wedding band, acutally pretty good, and the we played a game of chance where I supposedly won a bottle of champagne (Italian Spumante --malt beverage with natural flavors). We'd heard horror stories about the cost of liquor, so we drank in the room and then went to the bar for the games and whatnot - we ended up buying some beers and at $4.25 each, they weren't horribly priced. The next day we played Couples Feud at the bar and that was somewhat fun but no prizes. We left before the ping pong tournament.

The arcade was pretty lame, but there were about 10 games there, mostly shooters and racing, as well as pool tables and indoor mini golf.

My biggest complaint, I guess, is about the Arena, where you're supposed to have basketball, volleyball and rollerskating. I was really interested in roller skating because this was supposed to be just that kind of a trip. When we got to the Arena during one of the two hours rollerskating was supposed to be available, we asked for skates. We didn't yet see where we'd be skating, but we saw the counter where the skates were. The attendant hemmed and hawed and looked around, and then approached the 4 people playing basketball and asked them to stop, because we wanted to skate. We refused to make the quit, so we didn't get to, but it's pretty crappy that volleyball, basketball and skating only happen one at a time.

Check in was at 3:30, but we arrived at 10 am and they let us in to our room. We had breakfast uncomfortably with 3 other couples, but the breakfast buffet was pretty good and the fruit was amazing. Since breakfast was awkward, we asked to be seated alone for dinner and that was no problem. Dinner buffet was nothing I'd have chosen to eat, but all of it was good for what it was. We saw a review that told us to fill in things that weren't on the checklist for the breakfast in bed, so the next morning we had french toast as well as eggs, and I ordered a juice that wasn't on the menu and we added strawberries. Everything arrived hot and the croissant was the only disappointment.

We had a massage scheduled for 10 am the second day and they arrived at quarter of, and that was nice. They were very professional, hiding in the bathroom while we each got under our sheets, it was nice.

Overall, it was really quiet and peaceful, there was always something to do, and yeah, it was cheesy, we did things we'd never do at home and had fun. We did more in a day, even with the weather, than we would have anywhere else. I kept thinking "This is just like the place in Dirty Dancing." We're going to go back.

Date of stay: June 2006
20  Thank RW24
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Note: If you are looking for 5 star accommodations, dining and service then start researching another place, this is not for you. Otherwise read on!

We just returned from a wonderful three day/two night stay at Pocono Palace. This was our third trip to the Caesar’s resorts which now makes us Forever Lovers  We have visited Paradise Stream, Cove Haven and Pocono Palace. Cove Haven is still my favorite because they have indoor ice skating and in general it is a larger place but Pocono Palace is still wonderful and we will return there someday

We stayed in the Cleopatra Champagne Towers because we were able to get the room for half price. We probably would not stay in this room if we had to pay full price. Just a tip for those of you who have not been to the Caesar’s resorts: They have very nice discounted prices if you go off season (summer and fall). We stayed at Cove Haven last October and stayed three nights and only paid for two and this time we got our room half price for both nights and received a free platter of strawberries and cream (yummy)  So do yourself a favor and wait until they are having a special besides, the resort is less crowded and you won’t have to wait for anything!

Check In/Check Out: A breeze… We arrived at 12pm (check in is at 3pm) and our room was ready. We went to the room and about 15 minutes later our platter of free strawberries arrived. There is no procedure for check out, you simply leave by 11am.

Room: (see pictures) The room was very nice. We loved the Champagne whirlpool. It is very roomy and romantic. The bed was a little too soft for us but still comfortable. The room did have some wear and tear (carpet, paint around pool) but did not look run down. The heart shaped pool was awesome, the temperature was great and you can see the fireplace in the living room from the pool. No complaints about the water pressure or the lack of hot water for the whirlpool. The room had a massage table and sauna but we never used either one. The bathroom was very spacious…plenty of room for all of your stuff! The refrigerator is in the bathroom… I thought this was weird but I guess they couldn’t fit it in the bedroom. The refrigerator is very small so, if you bring a lot of food/drink, bring a cooler. There is an ice machine in the café. There is a nice big closet with plenty of hangers and about 4 deep drawers for the rest of your clothes.

Food/Drinks: On Friday night there was a buffet which had plenty of selections. We like buffets, so this worked well for us and on Saturday night they had lobster tail and steak. Well, I am a vegetarian so I can’t tell you how either one of those tasted but they did have an awesome penne pasta dish on the menu which I thoroughly enjoyed. My husband had the steak and he said that it was really good. The desserts are wonderful . Everything is all you can eat but I thought the portions were big and was usually stuffed after one serving. You can ask to be seated by yourself. Please don’t think that you have to sit with other people if that is not your style. We prefer to sit alone and always ask to be seated alone. We have never had a problem with this. The staff is very accommodating and will not give you dirty looks if you ask for a table by yourself. They will not offer this but you can ask and will be accommodated. Since the resort was only half full, we were seated right away but I imagine that if the resort was full, you may have to get there right when dinner started or wait a few minutes before getting a table for two. Take advantage of the breakfast in bed option. It is really nice. The food arrives nice and hot and when you specify. They call before they come so, don’t worry about being caught off guard  We had breakfast in bed both days that we were there. On Tuesday and Saturday mornings they offer a champagne breakfast free of charge (they give you a small bottle of champagne and two plastic glasses along with your breakfast). We had a few drinks at the bar and they were really good but really expensive. The average frozen drink was about $7.50 but they were tasty!

Activities: Like I said earlier, the resort was only about half full so there weren’t too many group activities but the ones that they did have were fun! We participated in Bingo and watched the X- rated newly-wed not so newly-wed game which was hysterical. If you are in the least bit squeamish talking about sex or even just listening to other people talk about sex then please don’t go to this, you will get embarrassed. We thought it was great. Remember this is an adult resort so no topic is off limits!!! The other non-group activities were just as fun. We played pool, miniature golf, walked on the nature trail and took a room tour. If they offer the room tour while you are there should take advantage of this. They will take you on a tour of all of the rooms on the property and you can see first hand what they look like and all of the different features they have to offer. We also spent a little bit of time at the larger pool/whirlpool in the main building and walked around the lake. We were going to take a paddleboat on the lake but it was really windy and a little too cold (for me). They also offer roller skating, bike riding, archery and many other things. The activities are not high thrill or breathtaking, they are not meant to be. They are nice things to do with the one you love. If you require a high thrill adventure, this is not the place for you! There is also a small gift shop with quite a few adult themed items. There is a newsletter everyday that tells you what is going on at the resort.

Grounds: We thought the grounds were very nice. The lake is beautiful and very romantic. Nothing looks run down. Yes, the buildings (on the outside) are not award-winning and kind of resemble a college dorm but who cares what they look like from the outside? Are you going to sit outside of your room the whole time? I know we didn’t. What matters is what the rooms look like inside!!! There is a golf course there which looked nice to me but I don’t play golf (unless you count miniature golf ) so I can’t give it a fair review.

Service: We did not encounter one rude person. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff does a good job keeping the rooms tidy.

Negative Comments: Ok, let me preface this with the following: These few items in no way ruined our trip or had any negative impact on our romantic getaway. I am including these things because they may bother you a lot more and may alter your decision to stay here and since I don’t work for this place it is only fair that they be mentioned. Our room had a slight ant problem and by this I mean that we saw them on the counter near our bed when we arrived and on the day that we left. The ants are attracted to food and my husband made the mistake of leaving a piece of cake out overnight and when we woke up there were ants on his plate. I always travel with Lysol disinfecting wipes so, I wiped the areas where I saw ants (on the first day). That seemed to stop the problem until we saw them again on our last day. That was the extent of the bug problem. Remember this resort is in a wooded area…there are going to be bugs! Also, the pool needed to have some touch up work done to the tiles and probably needed to be emptied and cleaned on the bottom. Like I said, this was not devastating. The pool was still clean (they use a lot of chlorine so, don’t get grossed out!) The rooms do have some wear and tear (like most hotel rooms) but they are clean! Caesar’s does not advertise 5 star accommodations so, don’t expect 5 stars and you will be just fine.

Things to bring along: Drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), Snacks - breakfast and dinner are included but lunch is not (there are also quite a few places to eat in town), Candles (jar candles work better), logs for the fireplace (they are expensive at the resort), bubble bath, insect repellent (for those walks in the woods). Ladies – if your hair is dry like mine, you will need a leave-in conditioner for your hair.

Honeymooners, I probably wouldn’t recommend a place like this for you. You would love the rooms but unless you intend to never leave the room (and even though you think you won’t, you will eventually need to take a break!) you may get a little bored spending an entire week or two here. Save your money and go someplace a little nicer. Come back here to celebrate your anniversary!

All age groups were represented here ( I am 31 and my husband is 29). We saw couples in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and all the way up to the senior citizens age group! Don’t worry about being too young or old!

Overall, We had a great time and can’t wait to go back again! I’m sorry that this was so long but I hope it was helpful!

Date of stay: June 2006
47  Thank up0k
Reviewed May 22, 2006

My Fiancee and I just returned from a long weekend at the Pocono Palace. I had heard good and bad things about the Poconos and was in dire need to get away for a relaxing quiet weekend. We decided on this Caesars Resort based on two things, it was a semi all-inclusive, and also its close proximity to Bushkill Falls. We had a quaint Lakeside suite with a small jacuzzi in the room. This was one of the best features and certainly made the $250 a night price tag easier to swallow. The room was clean but lacked a coffee table or someplace to put your belongings. One complaint was that the Lakeside rooms are right above Nightclub. So be prepared to hear a constant thumping until at least 1am nightly.

The decor of the hotel was a tad dated as some previous reviewers had mentioned. It was overlooked by us as we thought it gave it a nostalgic feel. You don't go to the Poconos to experience the most up to date technology and futuristic looking accomodations, you want something with a warm cozy feeling.

The food was pretty good. I say pretty good because the buffet on a Friday night was ok, but the Lobster/Steak sit down meal on Saturday was great! I had a slight apprehension when i learned that you sit with 8 complete strangers at mealtime, but it was no big deal as they all were always nice and conversations seemed to flow easy. The breakfast-in-bed option was a nice touch. You can choose from a select menu and the staff will bring your breakfast to your room (no extra charge - it is all included in the hotel stay).

The lake on site is scenic. You can take out a rowboat or paddleboat and fish on the lake. Although we didn't have any bites and started to think that there weren't any fish in the lake at all.

All in all, I would defintely go back and spend a long weekend

Two pieces of advice from a 29 year old traveller:

- Spend half a day and check out Bushkill Falls -. It is about 10 mins away and it breathtaking!!
- If you need a 6 pack of beer there are pizza parlors all over town. Buy the beer there (the Pocono Palace charges $17 bucks for a 6-pack!!!)

Date of stay: March 2006
18  Thank cdryka
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I don't know what people expect from a place like this. My wife and I were simply looking for a get-away location to celebrate a wedding anniversary and we chose the Pocono Palace's Fantasy Apple suite to be different and shake things up a bit. I have known of this place for about 30 years but had never ventured there. Given what I had read about it, I was expecting to encounter a fairly high "cheese" factor. I'm happy to say that the cheese was mild.

To get the negative stuff out of the way first...The decor could be updated, but it's not horrible. It's 70's-ish, but I didn't think overwhelmingly so. The skylight on the top level has a blue tint to it that caused the room to have a bluish glow that I didn't care much for. The suite contained two televisions that were afterthoughts, and no DVD capability. The suite could be improved 100% with the addition of a no-kidding integrated entertainment center, but...we didn't go there to watch television. The fireplace is on the upper, or living room level, which in my opinion is wasted space. We didn't use the fireplace nor spend any time up there other than to traverse through the space to enter and exit the suite.

On the positive side, it was clean. No complaints there at all. To a man/woman, the staff was very friendly, helpful, and non-intrusive. There are plenty of activities to engage in. We chose to go fishing on the lake in a paddle boat, archery, and walking the nature trail. The organized activities weren't something we were attracted to and there was no staff member there harrassing us if we didn't go along. We were left to our own devices and the stay became what we made of it. I particularly liked the little pool in our suite. The water temperature was like bath water. The heart-shaped tub was okay, but shallower than I expected.

Some general observations: We had a mid-week stay of two nights. The clientele were mostly middle aged couples obviously on the same mission we were. I did not overhear a single complaint from anyone the two days we were there. The food was adequate. We ate all of our meals there and had a table for two each time. The key is to be there when they open the restaurant for each meal.

Here's my bottom line: The hotel is expensive, but can be deeply discounted if you go at the right times and perhaps have another hook such as being military. It was worth the rate we paid. This is not a five-star hotel in Vegas or New York. It is a unique resort tucked away in the mountains that allows a couple to immerse themselves in each other. It's not at the top of my list of places I must return to, but it is likely we will at some point. We had a great time.

Date of stay: May 2006