“Awesome Couples Weekend Gettaway”

Pocono Palace Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marshalls Creek
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Well, after reading some of the reviews on here (pre-trip) I started to get very nervous that I just wasted a nice sum of money on a garbage resort. Thank goodness though, my experience was a bit different! (Although I will leave my 2 cents about the CON's at the bottom) -- My husband and I went to Pocono Palace for his 26th Birthday weekend (I'm 24), we left the baby with my parents and were on our way! The trip wasn't long from New York City, about 1hr and 30 mins by car. Once we pulled into the drive way, we got a bit scared... it looked like it was in the middle of a forest in nowhere land, then once we actually pulled into the main parking area the resort/hotel look big, nice and well kept. Inside the main building it was very well kept and pretty, the staff was pleasant as well.

Now we get to the main reason everyone want's to go there: THE ROOM. Well, I have to say I paid extra to enjoy a stay in the Champagne Tower by Cleopatra, we had room 536. The room was BEAUTIFUL, clean, I saw no chipping wallpaper or dirt anywhere. Although in the actual champagne tower, you could see the bottom has been used for years without being replaced, but it's not that big of a deal, some wear marks can not be removed unless you replace it. The rest of the room was in very good condition the heart pool was excellent, clean and always very warm (which I LOVED). The bed was huge and the mirrors were a nice addition lol. The fire place was very pretty to have on for the time you sit and relax next to it.

The food was DELICIOUS, enough to feed an army... but very well prepared and fresh, which is more then I can say about A LOT of places. We always opted for a table for two and never once had to wait in a line (like others have said). The wait-staff were friendly and worked quick too.

The nightly entertainment was nice, a typical resort band plays music in the lounge area and it's pleasant to sit, drink and listen to (or dance if you really want too) -- then on some nights they have a comedian on (we had John Cafry) that was a nice surprise, he was FUNNY. The reason why I say "nice" and not "superb" is because on most of the cruises I've been on the entertainers have put on huge broadway'esc productions, even bollywood with acrobatics, but I guess this is a more laid back atmosphere.

Now... my dislikes and advice for others...
DO NOT WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON A ROOM WITH A CHAMPAGNE TOWER, yes it is beautiful and great for photos, but other then that?? nothing, esp is you have a heated mini-pool. It takes about 1hr+ for the glass to actually fill up with water, esp since they only have one faucet running into it. Then by the time you go to check on it, the water is either too hot or too cold, once you actually get in it, you feel the draft the doorway behind you since the area doesn't close... so you end up sitting in luke-warm water at best, but by then you're so annoyed that you just go back to the best part of the room... the heated pool, which is 100 times better anyway. Next time I'll get a room with just a pool and save enough money to spend 2 or 3 extra nights there.

DRESS "CODE" - DO NOT JUDGE THE BOOK BY IT'S COVER: Me and my husband figured if we were paying so much per night, that we had to bring nice dress clothes for dinner and the nightly events, when I came into the dining room in my dress... I felt like I was being stared down by everyone (and I was) - just to give you an idea, we saw a lot of people in sneakers at dinner, sweats and hoodlies... so ladies and gents - bring a nice going out top and your favorite jeans... not a nice dress and suit.

"ALL INCLUSIVE" they are not, Breakfast and Dinner is all you get, lunch is NOT INCLUDED and neither (obviously) are the drinks. Although after paying so much, they could have at least given your first 2 drinks free and lunch too.

"FREE" Games/Entertainment: Well the nightly shows are free to come in and watch, so that's fine. You can are also get a few rides on a snow mobile for free (I think we didn't do it cause of the weather and timing issues) and hit the gym too. The Game room is upstairs where you can play miniature golf, billiards and ping pong for free. NOT FREE are the very poor selection of arcade games or air hockey.

PORTRAITS: The photographer is lovely, but umm ... they rip you off more then a cruise does on the portraits! $10.00 for a "5x7" and $20.00 for an "8x10" -- and of course you end up shelling out the money because it's not easy to really capture memories on your own in the same light. That pissed me off because I am a Celebrity Photo Retoucher and still couldn't fix the "scanned" 5x7's cause the paper type discolors the photos when scanned. SO BUYER BEWARE.

PLEASE do not get scarred about the CON'S I listed, I am only trying to be helpful and save you some money and luggage weight hehe, because over-all the time spent here was GREATTTTTTTTTTT, with a few quirks along the way, next time my husband and I go, we are skipping the champagne glass, getting a cheaper room and staying longer!

Sorry this review is long, but I wanted to be as helpful as the others on here were for me.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
14  Thank podushko

Reviewed February 22, 2009

To be honest my wife and I were very close to canceling our trip after reading the reviews on this web site. We were both so glad that we decided to go. We stayed 3 nights and loved every minute of it. Every meal was wonderful and we got to sit by ourselves in the dinning room for every meal. Also every meal was served to us on fine china I have no idea what the one reviewer was talking about when they said they were served on plastic plates. The wait staff was very good at every meal and made every meal an enjoyable one. We also found the service at the Hotel to be wonderful. We asked for more towels one morning and they arrived within 15 minutes. All of the staff were friendly and willing to do whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. We stayed in the Garden of Eden Apple room and could not of been happier. We swam in the pool every morning and night and the heart shaped tub was perfect size to relax in. The only complaint about the room is that it could have used a DVD player and wireless internet. We found plenty of things to do to keep us entertained on site. We played miniature golf, video games, and basketball. My wife went tanning everyday and utilized the workout room. Of site we went horseback riding, went to the outlet mall, and spent some time just exploring the Poconos in the car. Overall our stay was wonderful! I would recommend going and finding out for yourself. I can not believe how many of the things that people complained about on this site were completely false. The manager of the Hotel Phil was a wonderful man and I recommend going and talking to him if you have any problems. Although based on our experience I doubt you will.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank syracuse44
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I have been to Pocono Palace several times. We are what you call "forever lovers' we have been there more than three times. I was reading over the reviews just for fun to see what people had to say. I think some have been incredible harsh with the reviews. We have given many gift certificates to friends and family to escape and enjoy the all inclusive resort. I have traveled to many places in the US and Europe. I find Pocono Palace to be a great value, depending on your room, and what time of year you book it. Of course it is not brand new and some of the rooms could use to be updated. If you are looking for a place just to escape your busy life, you won't regret it. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy outside and inside, besides if you have a room with a pool or fireplace. I do recommend late spring so the boats are in the lake. Autumn is very beautiful. My husband and my self always go to celebrate our anniversary. WE only live 40 minutes from the resort. When we have a chance for a get away we go whenever we can. Drinks in the bar can be pricey as well as the food in the cafe. If you bring some beverages for your room and snacks there really isn't a need to buy anything else. IF you come earlier enough you can participate in their breakfast. There are snacks in the bar at 5 pm and dinner at 6. I have always been more than satisfied with all they have to offer. Their bands are usually great. You can even call ahead and see who the performers are. I highly recommend Wildfire and Group de jour.. Wildfire is top 40 band and Group de Jour is a mixture of everything . They are our favorites ... Who ever can not find something there to satisfy you I would like a recommendation of where they have found better in the same price range. Like I said I would watch prices and obviously not go in the month of February when prices seem to be inflated or New Years Eve. But if you watch the calendar for deals I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank maggiemayandlexie
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My husband and I stay at Pocono Palace for a week. I recommend that you go in the spring/ summer time, because there is more to do. I did not like sitting next to other couples at the same table. It did not feel intimate. The food was delious. Be sure too drive your car because you have to drive everywhere. The resort does not provide transportation. Beautiful scenery. A good place to cuddle up and enjoy each other.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ShannaRedfearn
Reviewed February 5, 2009

We'll call this a lesson well learned. The website looked wonderful, we were so excited to go. We actually decided to elope there. We are a young couple of professionals ...aka yuppies.
We thought it was located in a country setting, while instead it is in a seedy area. The lobby is pretty when you walk in, and the wedding planner was very nice. The lobby droned with bad soft rock. They did upgrade our room for free. When we drove to our room (its motel style) we became weary. The grounds were an assortment of cabin style buildings from the sixties/seventies without windows. The only evidence of life was people on old Schwinn bicycles riding around the parking lot. The golf course and driving range looked sub-par and outdated. We had brought our golf clubs, but decided the course looked to crummy to play.

So we went into our multi-level room containing a swimming pool, champagne glass jacuzzi tub , and round bed. A thick cloud hung in the room as if someone had been chain smoking for years in it. The ceiling had stained tiles and some sort of star ceiling thing that was all burnt out. The pool was missing tiles, had flaking paint, and was in general disrepair. The materials in the room were cheap polyester, laminate and from the eighties. The bed was the worst two nights of sleep I've had in my life. The sheets kept popping off , and revealed a large dark ominous stain and holes in the mattress. ( I have pictures which I will eventually post) We were wondering if maybe someone was murdered and stuffed into it. We were afraid to touch anything. Had the room been clean and updated it would be a neat adult playground.
Onto getting married, they made it easy enough. We showed up and so did a man that was very soft spoken with halitosis. They took nice pictures and that was that.

We went to the strip night dinner and it was ok, but not of a good steakhouse quality. Dinner came in the plastic domed plates like you receive in the hospital. They sit you with groups of other people unless you request otherwise. We discussed our disappointment with the other couples. All agreed except one couple who were "forever lovers" who frequent the resort.
After dinner we ventured to the bar. They played a raunchy game, and had stingy appetizers. Later a terrible band played, followed by a not so funny comedian. We got a sense that their was some swinger types trying to hook up with other couples so we left.

We walked down to the lake shore which was quite peaceful. The lake is more of an over grown pond than anything , but relaxing to sit next too and talk.

They delivered breakfast to our room . It was sandwiches and champagne which were tasty. We later went to the breakfast buffet which was also good. We checked out the "gym" which was a small collection of old machines.

We ended up leaving earlier than planned from sheer disappointment. I would never go back, and for what it is it is way over priced. Save your money and go to a real resort.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank b304z
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We went to Pocono Palace to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We were welcomed by a very friendly desk clerk named Matt whom invited us to have breakfast before we checked into our room which was ready for us at 11 am. We had chosen the Fantasy Apple Suite. It is on 3 levels with 7 stairs between each level. We were told there were very few steps compared to the Tower Suite,but in the end was probably more. We had stayed previously at Paradise Stream in a Garden of Eden Apple and had a marvelous time. The room was as previoulsly mentioned needs some updating had peeling wallpaper etc. The second day we used the hot tub and after getting out saw dirt everywhere,It was coming out of the faucet so maintennance had to be called and drain the system which took 2 hours of him being in our room. The toilet felt like it was ready to go off the seal. The pool the first day we got there was so hot the hubby said "you could boil lobster in this" the next day we went to get in and it was cold. So we told the desk and they supposedly fixed it but was never all that warm during the rest of our stay. The food although pretty good at dinner the food was never what i would call hot just luke warm. We had our pics taken each night at dinner plus some outside shots. The one night the picture was a bit blurry and the gift shop receptionist suggested we send it back and have it remade. The gift shop was to open at 10 and our plans were to have breakfast, get our pics and leave. Well the gift shop wasnt open because the lady never showed that was to work that day. After noon the desk people finally got the pics and our remade pic was no where to be found. They did call 3 days later asking what the problem was and assured us the pic will be mailed to us which we are still waiting for. Overall we were a bit disappointed with our stay we had a much better time at Paradise Stream even though it is much smaller the employees seemed much more cheerful and accomodating. We do plan on going again in June to Cove Haven to see Howie Mandell and hopefully our experience will be a better one. For the money we spent near $900 for 3 nights which is the Forever Lover discount which u get after your third visit I honestly wish we had done the cruise we had thought about doing for our 10th anniversary.

• Stayed: January 2009
6  Thank ruhappyim
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at the Pocono Palace for a long weekend in January.
The food was fantastic Saturday night, which is their Strip Night.
Huge porterhose steaks and divine desserts.
The hotel is all-inclusive except for alcohol, which I think should be included for the price you pay. 2nights cost over $800.
The Fantasy Apple was AMAZING!!!! 3floors, unbelievable
The room did need some touchup work, chipped paint and worn carpet.
Very good time :)

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Pocono Palace Resort? Share your experiences!