“Rating based on poor service”

Blue Tequila Mexican Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
PA
“Rating based on poor service”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We never had time to sample the food. We left after a few minutes of being seated and no one came to our table. The staff seated us, and did swap out a chair for us. There were lots of staff standing around talking, but no one came to our table and asked for a drink order or anything. Our menus were closed. We got up and left at the 10 minute mark. The hostess came running after us after we were nearly through the hotel lobby and said she would take our order, after blaming "the new girl," but we did not want to go back in there.

Very strange. There were only about half a dozen tables with people, and just as many staff. We were seated in close proximity to the hostess station, but we seemed invisible while we were sitting at the table.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank phillyfit

Lancaster
“Blue Tequila off the list”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've heard it said that there are no good Mexican restaurantds in the Poconons, so when we saw the TV advert for this one we decided to give it a try. It's just off Route 80 adjoining a Days Inn. It was really easy to find and there was ample parking. Access to the restaurant is through the lobby of the hotel.

We walked in on a Saturday evening around 6pm. You choose your own table as opposed to being seated. It was noticeably empty. We seated ourselved and were greeted by a very cheerful young lady who immediately took our drink order. That was quick enough, just be aware that if you order unsweetened iced tea... that is what it is and so it shall remain. There are no sweeteners on the tables and none are brought with the iced tea.

Salsa and chips arrived with the drinks. The salsa was tasty, though a little bland for my taste. You can't "dose" your salsa here. There is no hot sauces on the table as would be expected, so the salsa remained somewhat bland.

Having ordered, we were free to munch nachos and take in the decor. The room is pretty large with a very long bar built in to one side and a dance floor at one end of the room with amps, large speakers, mixing boards and other club type audio equipment set up. When we arrived there were a couple of guys were fiddling around with the electronic set-up.

Suddenly all that equipment came to life... These guys cranked up some rap hip/hop barrage of obnoxiousness that was so sudden, everyone jumped in their seats. Patrons were literally sitting at the tables with fingers in their ears. I approached the wait station and shouted over the noise to our server "If this does not stop immediately, we are leaving".

She approached the "sound techs" and got them to lower the volume to about 1/2 what it was. You still had to shout, and the quality of music had not significantly improved. Shortly thereafter an owner/manager appeared and explained that they needed to get the sound levels correct for karaoke that evening. He seemed slightly bemused by our protests. We gave him 3 minutes to have it silent. He managed it in about 4.

Absolutely unacceptable. Clearly a case of poor management
We stayed only because we wanted to try the food. The food arrived shortly after the appetizers. Everyone sampled each others food and while the less adventurous of our group was satisfied with non-spicy food, I expect Mexican food, (however contrived) to have a little life in it. Bland... bland all around with no salvation in sight. As mentioned previously, not a bottle of hot sauce was to be found, much less an array of 4-5 bottles on each tables as one would expect. There was not a single jalapeno pepper found in four meals and two appetizers.

The bill came to $95.00 of which $15.00 was charged for drinks alone. We did not have any alcoholic beverages... soda and unsweetened ice tea came to $15.00.

A few notes about the service. Our waitress was wonderful. She was the single saving grace in this disgrace of a restaurant. She handled all her tables brilliantly. She was friendly, efficient, smiling at everyone and was cool under fire. I have no doubts she will soon find a restaurant to equal her skills. This place is obviously beneath her. We tipped exceptionally large for all the headaches this young lady handled and personally thanked her for being such a great sport.
Done and done. Will not return.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Rickoflancaster
Queens, NY
“A very welcome and Authentic surprise in the Poconos!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After a day of shopping and 2 days of eating junk food with the kids this past weekend(burgers, fries, wings, etc) I craved real food. I had seen the sign at Days Inn for Blue Tequila and questioned "Mexican in the Poconos?" (It's an easy on/off from the I80) And there were not many cars in the parking lot either... so I was a little skeptical. I became a little more skeptical when I go in through the motel lobby and see Non-Mexicans (Maybe Indian) at the bar or hosting. So I asked the hostess if this place was really Mexican. She said the chef was Mexican and I decided to stay. The kids and I were so happy we did. The chips were warm when they came out. The salsa was fresh not too spicy. We ordered a side of guacamole which was GREAT and enough for the 3 of us. (I'm a bit of guacamole snob having been to Rosa Mexicano and Dos Caminos in NY and Blue Tequila was right up there in quality)

My finnicky teenager ordered the Chicken Mole and loved it. Fresh and bountiful with rice/beans and corn tortillas. My daughter had their very cheesy quesadilla from the kids menu and it could have fed an adult. I had the steak fajitas which were sizzling and really tasty.
We couldn't have been happier with the food and the service was excellent. The server was knowledgable and very attentive. I took her recommendation on my Tequila sunrise drink and wasn't disappointed either. I'll be sure to visit the next time we're there. This place is a real asset to an area short on variety.

To Management: DON'T LOSE THE CHEF