“Great food, great deck!”

McCleary's Public House
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I am glad I didn't read the 2009 reviews before going to McCleary's. Went there with three others on a Sunday evening. I ordered a bruschetta burger salad, which I cannot stop raving about - a bed of fresh spinach, no chopped iceberg lettuce - with cucumber slices (which I pushed off the plate just because I don't like them) topped with a perfectly seasoned and grilled, very large beef patty with melted provolone and bruschetta. Simple but amazing - the waitress suggested the bleu cheese dressing and, while I don't typically order that, it was perfect for this salad. My husband had a chicken ceasar wrap, which has always been a favorite for him, but the one served at McCleary's was by far the best he has ever had - to the point that he may never eat one again, other than at McCleary's, for fear of disappointment. We sat on their enclosed patio, which was bright and comfortable and provided the sense of being outside without (a) the sounds of traffic, (b) the bugs, and (c) the 90+ degree heat. The waitress was personable and attentive without being intrusive. In case I sound too excited about this place - I don't know anyone who works there, and I have no financial interest in their success - just wanted to share my experience, especially in light of the earlier reviews. Not sure what may have changed, but if you were disappointed in the past you may want to give them another chance.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

OK, there isn't much in Marietta so maybe being 'the finest' isn't tough. We stopped in for an early lunch and had a good experience. The front bar/restaurant sets a great tone for a pub -- copper top tables, tin ceiling, stained glass, fireplace. Lunch menu is standard pub fare and what we ate was enjoyable (fish sandwich, which I turned into just fish and chips and the reuben). It's nothing to write home about but it was not disappointing. Service was spot on.

Best part: they have a great bottled beer selection and some good beers on tap. No idea how good their dinner food is but I wouldn't venture too far from the standards.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Summer evening mosquito fest. Seated outside, immediately attacked by mosquitos, had to wait a while for inside table. Food was good, not great.

Reviewed May 25, 2009

The first time i went there with my daughter and my mother. The waitress practically ignored us, it took her 20 mins to come to the table and thats after we informed another waiter. The food was good but took a long time and after she dropped off the food she never returned, we waited 45 mins. So we left the money on the table then left. She then came running out of the restaurant, apparently she didnt see the money on table.

A year later i returned with my daughter and husband, hoping for a better experience and everything went great until we went to leave. We were sitting on the deck and watched many people go in and out a side entrance on the deck, so we proceeded to us it. The owner, i guess, jumped up from a table and yelled at us in front of the whole restaurant. "What the hell are you doing thats not an exit!" Yea.. great way to get us to come back. I will NEVER go there again and will NEVER recommend it to anyone. There are many other restaurants that deserve our patronage.

Reviewed February 26, 2009

Marietta is a bit of a drive for me, but I try to hit McCleary's once a week. They have an astounding selection of domestic and imported beers, obviously assembled by a beer lover. The mixed drinks I've ordered are well-crafted and strong. I have never been disappointed by the service or the menu offerings, be they appetizers, main courses or desserts. I can't comment on the weekend music, since I usually go only during the week. This is a cozy pub which deserves to be on anyone's favorites list!