“Good, not great”

McCleary's Public House
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pittsburgh, PA
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

Summer evening mosquito fest. Seated outside, immediately attacked by mosquitos, had to wait a while for inside table. Food was good, not great.

pennsylvania
“Tried it twice and it just got worse‎”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

The first time i went there with my daughter and my mother. The waitress practically ignored us, it took her 20 mins to come to the table and thats after we informed another waiter. The food was good but took a long time and after she dropped off the food she never returned, we waited 45 mins. So we left the money on the table then left. She then came running out of the restaurant, apparently she didnt see the money on table.

A year later i returned with my daughter and husband, hoping for a better experience and everything went great until we went to leave. We were sitting on the deck and watched many people go in and out a side entrance on the deck, so we proceeded to us it. The owner, i guess, jumped up from a table and yelled at us in front of the whole restaurant. "What the hell are you doing thats not an exit!" Yea.. great way to get us to come back. I will NEVER go there again and will NEVER recommend it to anyone. There are many other restaurants that deserve our patronage.

Lancaster, PA
“A Reliable Bastion of Excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

Marietta is a bit of a drive for me, but I try to hit McCleary's once a week. They have an astounding selection of domestic and imported beers, obviously assembled by a beer lover. The mixed drinks I've ordered are well-crafted and strong. I have never been disappointed by the service or the menu offerings, be they appetizers, main courses or desserts. I can't comment on the weekend music, since I usually go only during the week. This is a cozy pub which deserves to be on anyone's favorites list!

Lancaster PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

After hearing about McCleary's Pub for some time, my husband and I finally decided to give it a try. Walking into the restaurant you immediately get a warm homey feeling. And I believe that if you are a regular at this restaurant, that is exactly what you experience. That was not our experience unfortunately. We didn't have a reservation on a Tuesday evening at 5:30, which was admitedly our mistake. Although the restaurant was practically empty except for the bar, we were greeted by the hostess with dissapproval and hesitation due to our lack of a reservation. We were seated just inside the door in the bar area. Since it was a particularly cold December day it was uncomfortable to say the least. Every time the door opened we were blasted with bitter cold air. I observed another couple who came in after us, also without reservation, and they were seated in the back section of the restaurant, where we would have preferred to be seated. We complained to the waitress about the cold and she did partially close off our section with a curtain, which helped very little. The service was lacking to say the least. Since I was so cold I decided, after receiving our drinks, to order some soup. However our waitress did not return to the table until she arrived with our order so I never got to order it. My veggie wrap should be listed on the menu as a lettuce or field greens wrap, because that was 90% of the filling. It had the potential to be a pretty good wrap if it had more of the ingredients listed on the menu and less lettuce. My husband ordered the crabcake sandwich, which was delicious and had lumps of crabmeat in it. We decided to skip dessert and just have coffee. After waiting somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes for our coffee we saw our waitress taking drink orders at a large table nearby. My husband went over and told her to cancel the coffee order and bring our bill. When she did she said that she had to brew a pot of decaf coffee (my order) that's why it was taking so long. Understandable, but she should have let us know so we wouldn't think our order was forgotten. During our visit we observed someone who appeared to be the owner/manager talking with several customers who obviously were regulars at the restaurant, which is why I said earlier that if you are a regular there your experience would be different than ours. We definetely felt like we were treated differently because we weren't regulars, which is unfortunate because I think we would definitely go back to the restaurant had we been treated differently. Sad, because it seems like a nice place to become a regular customer.

1 Thank oldeglory56