“Another Fabulous Stay at the Farm...”
Review of Olde Fogie Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Olde Fogie Farm
Wantagh, New York
“Another Fabulous Stay at the Farm...”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

This was our 4th visit to the farm and at this point I must say that it truly feels like home. It's a special place with special people running it and each visit something magical seems to happen.

It's not just for kids, either. This time I brought along my 82 year old mom who also loved it.

It's hard not to fall in love with Biz and her wonderful breakfasts, which seem to get more delicious with each visit.

Stayed May 2007

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wilkes-Barre PA
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Well I don't know how anyone of sound mind could say anything bad about the Olde Fogie Farm. My family was just there Mother's Day weekend (2007). Our anniversary also happens to fall in that same weekend. We usually try to plan a vacation around that time every year. I must say that we have gone to Vegas, Disney World, Ocean City MD just to name a few, but this was quite possibly the best and most relaxing time we've spent away from home.
My Family already made me promise to go back again, and I quickly agreed. My son, who like most 9 year olds is into his xbox, he forgot all about it. In fact, he was up each morning before the bell rang to do the daily chores. The chores are not mandatory, and should hardly be called "chores". Biz rings a bell a few times and gives people and/or children the chance to come out and help with the chores in the morning. Bottle feeding the young animals, petting others, brushing off the pig, milking the goat. These are the very UN strenuious chores. For those of you who decide to stay in a part of the house that includes breakfast, you are in for a treat. Biz makes the best breakfast to start your day.
It is not what you might think a working farm to be. You could eat off of the floors in the rooms, and the stables are kept very neat as well. The animals are so calm and used to people that my daughter who is 22 months old never wanted to leave them. Every time I turned around one of my two children were back in the barnyard petting an animal again. Even the fish that are in the pond will swim right up to the shore when you walk in the gate.
Biz and her husband Tom are two of the nicest hosts you could find. They do everything in their power to make your stay a great one. They honestly treated us like we were family when we were there. Biz is like having a second mom, she waits up to make sure every one of her guests are back safely. Also I liked having Tom and Biz to give us some advice on places to see and things to do while we were off on our travels. Everything they told us about was great, including the places to eat.
I can't wait to get back there and get away from the everyday fast paced life. Maybe I'll see some of you other travelers there!!

Sean McManus

• Liked — It felt like home there
  • Disliked — Nothing negative to say about it
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank vwnmustang
62 terrace avenue, freeport, ny 11520
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I spent 2 nights in the garden room with my husband and 2 year old. Having a toddler is never an easy task, so I was relieved to have such hospitable people running Olde Fogie Farm. The breakfast was family style and very comfortable....we met lots of people who also liked being around people....great morning conversation in a beautiful country kitchen, you feel like part of the family. My son had a great time feeding the fish, getting his feet in the pond. The fish are so beautiful and friendly, they come right up to your hand and are able to be fed that way.....so sweet, very special. The animals were fun, my husband and I milked a goat, combed a pig, fed the chikens, picked eggs....my son (2 year old) was interested in playing in a child-sized barn that had some toys inside....the restaurants Biz and Tom recommended were as described, friendly, affordable and great tasting.....yes, the restaurant with the tractor in front was great, ask for the buffet and get a burger for an extra 2 bucks. The hands-on museum we took our son to was one of the best we've ever been to. My husband and I were able to sit and relax as our son touched and played with all the great displays. I must say that Biz and Tom were very friendly and welcoming. Although they too live in the farm, they know when to give you space. By the way, the house smelled delicious all the time and felt like everyone's idea of "coming home". The farm animals and the pets all had their own personality which gave this trip that extra touch. During the trip for these 2 days we met 3 families that have mad Olde Fogie Farm their yearly vacation, plus each room has a collection of comment books that had years of notes left by past attendants at the B and B. OH, almost forgot, ask Biz to sing to you when you get there, she is quite a lady.....

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank mm72873
Chicagoland, IL
Reviewed August 28, 2006

What a surprisingly delightful time we had at the Olde Fogie Farm! I say "surprisingly," because we'd never heard of it before, we found it by chance in a traveler's guide we were reading while on the road, and since nobody answered the phone when we called to inquire about the place, we decided to just stop by unannounced to see if they happened to have any vacancies that night.

The door was answered by Biz Fogie, who, after learning why we were there, gave us the warmest smile and said, "Why sure there's room for you. The Chicken Coop is still available for tonight. Let me show it to you." My wife, 13-year old son, 19-year old daughter, and I all shared a quizzical look with each other and then followed Biz out the front door, around the house and into the cutest little two-room "suite" you've ever seen. The front room shared a trundle bed, small kitchen and kitchen table, while the back room held a full sized bed, table and chair, TV, and a small bathroom with about the tiniest shower stall we'd ever seen. And the walls in both rooms were crowded with so much delightful "stuff" there was no way to enjoy it all in one visual sweep. We loved it and with no family discussion necessary, we decided to stay the night.

I have to agree with one of the previous reviews that if you're accustomed to deluxe accommodations with all the amenities, this is probably not the place for you. But if you're looking for two of the warmest people to ever run a bed and breakfast; clean, comfortable rooms; reasonable prices; beautiful gardens in which to relax; a novel "swimming hole" which you'll share with giant koi; and the opportunity to get out and do a few chores among the chickens, roosters, goats, horses, pigs, calves, and even a free-roaming peacock, then you won't regret a night or two or three at the Olde Fogie Farm.

Granted, the roosters DO wake you up awfully early, the llamas ARE off limits, and the showers DON'T leave much room for washing. But making up for all that is the fact that you've come to a one-of-a-kind place with one-of-a-kind people who know how to give you a one-of-a-kind experience. And it's not just for little kids; my 13- and 19-year olds loved it too.

It certainly was the unexpected highlight of our roadtrip. (And we didn't even encounter any flies!)

• Liked — Its uniqueness
  • Disliked — Its distance from good restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep an open mind and enjoy the simple life
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank RSJ
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2005

We knew we wanted to try a farm when we visited Penn Dutch country with our 5 yr old daughter. We researched and chose the Old Fogie becasue of the personal touch we sensed from the web site. The prices for a farm experience in the area were all comparable. Looking retrospectively, I feel that the rooms are overpriced. I've stayed in beautiful hotel rooms for a lot less $$ with lots of amenities. The bathrooms here did not even have a hair dryer or shampoo. I was surprised at how small the room was and that it truly was in the main house, where Biz and Tom, the owners, lived also. Not a lot of privacy, but this was only my second experience at a b & b. The rooms are warmly decorated and clean. A cot was set up for our daughter. We had the Garden room, which was hand painted with flowers and had a beautiful quilt on the bed. The shower was so small I could barely turn around in it. No complaints though, the Pig Pen room's bathroom is across the hallway from the room. Breakfast was ok, nothing fancy. My husband said he would have preferred to go to Denny's. My daughter loved the animals and the chores, but I thought the whole chore time was over way too quickly, more interaction with the animals would have been cool, I would have loved to visit the barn, etc. A nice thing about the mornings is that the owner's grandaughter spends time with the kids after chore time, playing tag, hide and seek; the kids were running around the whole farm having a great time. One thing that I did not like was that a member of the staff and I will not mention a name, always had thier hand out. First, there is a tip envelope on the dresser. Second, several comments were made as to how more money is needed to "pay the bills". I felt uncomfortable when comments like that were made to me. Oh well. Bottom line, my daughter loved it, and this trip was about her. Everyrone was friendly, polite and welcoming. The actual property is well maintained, beautifully landscaped. The animals are tame and well taken care of. Ask Biz to lend you her Auto Tour CD to see the area. Not many places out there to eat at; try Marco's restaurant (on corner of 441) was decent and reasonably priced. Try the restaurant with the tractor in front of it for good country food (make a right on 441, it's up about 4 miles, ask Biz for the name) Have fun!

• Stayed May 2005
13 Thank Illy1108
elizabeth, nj
Reviewed August 6, 2004

I am very suprised by the first reviewer's experience. We have stayed at the farm twice and are returning again. We always have a wonderful time and find the Fogie's very accomodating. Yes, it's a quirky place, so if you don't like quirky and prefer a more predictable family vacation there are probably better options in the area. That said, the 2 family suites(which have kitchens and therefore don't include breakfast) are spacious and comfortable-and very kid friendly.The swimming pond and gardens are great. Yes, there are flies. The rooster will also wake you up earlier then you prefer to get up. On one of our visits the ducks were mean-spirited and the horse was sick...This is a working farm, not a family resort. They're real live animals, not attractions. And that's what I appreciate most about this place-the little ammenities are nice, but above all, it's a place where my family gets to experience the natural rhythms of farm life, animals and nature, and we don't expect the experience to comform to our expectations. As a result, we always have lots of unexpected and delightful moments here.

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank jerigood
NY
Reviewed July 19, 2004

This trip was not what we expected at all. For a place that was supposedly geared towards family, I can honestly say that they have a long, long way to go. When you open your home and bill it and a bed and breakfast, particularly geared towards families with young children, usually one expects certain things, not the least of which is breakfast!

For starters we were given a different room than promised, because a repeat visitor had called in the meantime and taken the room we were originally assigned. We were left with a smaller room, leading my son to have to sleep on the floor....We and our three children were given an upstairs room with no shower, complete with bees nest and flies galore. When I inquired about the shower, I was told I could "relax" in the claw foot tub in our bathroom, isn't that much nicer than a shower anyway??? Obviously for a 2 night stay with three children, there wouldn't much relaxing to be done, and I obviously was not happy that our original, larger first floor room was given away.

As for the farm chores, this was not as expected either. My kids were really looking forward to riding a horse and milking the goat and as depicted in the website pictures. However when we started the chores, led by the Fogie's 10 year old niece, we did NOT milk a goat, were told we couldn't ride the horse because he was "new" and not very good with people yet, and were given brooms and told to sweep out the pig pen. This is TRUE~~!
The famous kissing lamas were behind an electric fence, which was BEHIND the "petting area", which we were not even allowed in the first day, because it was occupied by a horse that the Fogies described as ornery...(Question: Why was he there if he was so ornery???)

The pond was one of the nice things about the farm, and my kids did get a kick out of swimming with the giant koi, once they got over their initial squeamishness!

We, the adults, were able to feed a baby calf with a bottle, which my kids wanted to do, but were told they wouldn't be able to hold the bottle right. As the calf was chained with a leash and covered in feces, I was not terribly upset about this. But Farmer Tom then proceeded to tell us, as we looked into the 12 week old baby calf's big gentle eyes, that once he became 1200 pounds he would be sold for beef...This is an animal that was SOCIALIZED and kept as a pet, accustomed to humans, and used in games of tag with the children, although we were not privy to this experience. (I also noticed two other cows/calves in a dark and dirty barn with no windows or air, which stayed in that barn the entire visit. I do not even know what these cows were used for, but their living conditions were disgusting.)

BIZ became quite upset with my daughter for feeding the turkeys bird seed, although there are signs all over the guest rooms saying that you can feed the animals POTATO CHIPS and any other table scraps!! (Note: This place is full of signs!!) The food we were feeding the turkeys, I was told, was specifically reserved for the finches...yet it was sitting out near the pond by the FISH with a sign saying bird seed on it and a big scooper inside...

Error on my part, I had misheard the owner, and thought she had said "That food is for the FISHES". So, while I though her grammar was a little strange, I told my daughter, it's ok, she said it's for the fishes lets go feed it to the fishes, even though I thought it a little strange to feed bird seed to koi...As soon as we walked over to the pond, we were confronted by Farmer Tom, who grabbed the bowl out of my four year old's hands. He said "OH no, you don't feed that to the fish!!" I said, "Wait a minute , your wife just told me it was for the fish!" and he said "Oh no it's for the finches!!!""

Ok it was an honest mistake, and the fish never got a taste of that bird seed, since he was so quick to grab it.. I apologized and thought this was the end of it, although I still do not understand why there was a barrel of seed sitting by the fish pond if you don't want it fed to the fish, particularly in a place supposedly geared towards kids!!

The next day, the owner, Biz, confronted me yet again and said "You know, I am still really angry that you were feeding the fish my Finch food!!"

I am sorry but I did not pay these ridiculous prices to be a stable boy/woman and have my children clean out some dirty barn, when they had hoped to ride a horse or milk a cow. And I was highly disappointed with the attitude of owners, who were irritable and unaccomodating.

The farm is located in Marietta, PA which is a good 40 minutes from Lancaster and Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Having been on other farm vacations, I can honestly say that this was one the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had on a vacation. I have gone camping in places that had less flies and dirt than this. NOTE TO CITY DWELLERS: Fly infestation is NOT a prerequesite to a farm vacation! Of course some insects are normal in a country setting, but we had flies in our car for a solid week after we got back that we could not get rid of!!

As for the hosts; well they certainly lived up to their name.

20 Thank butterfly10954
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant
Susquehanna Manor
Susquehanna Manor
#3 of 6 in Marietta

Been to Olde Fogie Farm? Share your experiences!