“Nostalgic, well worth a try.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manns Choice
Lincoln Motor Court
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manns Choice
cleveland, ohio, u.s.a.
“Nostalgic, well worth a try.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I'd recommend you stay here for a night to experience travel the way it used to be, before the interstates and chain motels took over America. No frills, but no real problems either.

That said, you need to understand that your cabin will probably feel more cramped and look less spiffy than you're used to. Wall-to-wall knotty pine paneling, like my dad and all my friends' dads put in the basement "rec room." A wall-mounted space heater took its good old time but eventually warmed the cabin on a 24 degree night. Here it pays to be patient.

Debbie, who handles reservations and check-in, is friendly and helpful. She warned me that because it was off-season it might take 5-10 minutes for hot water to get to the shower. I thought she was kidding but she assured me she wasn't. I'm glad she pointed this out or I'd have suffered a miserable lukewarm shower. But it eventually got hot, as promised.

The whole place feels homey, for better and for worse. Just like my own house, there are small maintenance items that need work, the carpet could be cleaner, but there's nothing wrong with that. The only "frill" I really missed was a little bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, since I'd forgotten mine. I had to make do with the paper-wrapped bar of soap.

Even though I arrived late, around nine, Debbie recommended the Jean Bonnet tavern about a mile away for a late dinner. I enjoyed my meal there, and in the morning asked Debbie about breakfast in town (Bedford). Her suggestion of the Green Harvest cafe was another winner.

I enjoyed my stay at the Lincoln Motor Court, but know it's not for everyone. If it sounds like your cup of tea, give it a try.

Room Tip: Call in advance and talk to Debbie.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank interactive_al

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Myerstown, PA
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Whenever we visit our friends in Schellsville we ALWAYS stay here. Its a for-real motor court from when rte 30 was a major highway but with comfortable updates (like indoor plumbing :o) to keep us happy. No air but its not needed. The owners are reallly grrreat people too. There are some nice diners but they're a mile or so away. If you want fancy keep driving. But if you like nostalgia (like us) stay here! Its fun.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gary H
Falls Church Virgini
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The staff was friendly, the grounds were clean and the old cottages were certainly quaint. But, I'd only recommend it for a short stay. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are dated. From a comfort standpoint, I could not stay here for more than one day. I need more room to stretch out and I prefer a modern bathroom.

I guess that I have become use to modern amenities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jmvfrva
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My son and I spend a weekend here every June, just taking it easy and relaxing. We lay in the grass and read or have a snack on the bouncy porch chairs. It's quiet even when it is full. It is our favorite place. Every room we've been in has been clean, comfortable and yes, old and homey. THAT is the point. They are well kept up and nicely decorated with real paneling, nice counterpanes, a reading bed lamp and my favorite tinted porcelin bathrooms. We don't miss the a/c because even on the hottest days, the night is so cool we use a blanket. I also remember traveling with my parents when I was small and passing so many of these cabin motels. It's a shame that the norm has become chain-motels-where-everything-is-exactly-the-same. The Altizers do a stunning job of keeping this little motel beautiful and they are helpful and friendly. (we've also been there is the winter - it's beautiful!)

Room Tip: pick any one of them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank littlebluerambler
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For our honeymoon, we rode the Lincoln Highway on a BMW motorcycle from PA to Utah. The Lincoln Motor Court was only one of two places where we decided to make reservations in advance on the entire 17-day trip. The motor court is an essential piece of history; it is a gem, a place out of time that beautifully preserves the historical authenticity that gives it its uniqueness, its charm, and its great, great significance. Bob Altizer, one of the owners, was on site at all times to give us any help and advise we needed - from information about the Lincoln Highway and the area, to jumping a battery, to providing tableware for a romantic dinner in our sweetheart cabin. We could not recommend LMC more highly as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Tell the Altizers why you are traveling and what you are looking for in a room. Each cabin has uniq...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Miriam S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Nestled alongside the historic Lincoln Highway (all by itself) in the beautiful Pennsylvania countryside, the Lincoln Motor Court is a real gem for those who wish to travel back in time. This beautifully maintained motor court is an enduring reminder of the golden age of American car travel. I can distinctly recall seeing many of these cute little one room cabin-type places as we criss-crossed America when I was a just a boy. Sadly, they have been gone by the wayside as more and more travellers have adopted the "bigger is better" chain hotel mind set. Bob and Debbie Altizer have poured their heart and soul into this quaint property and it shows in the service, the grounds, the cottages, right down to the pink tile in the bathrooms. Every time we pass through Western PA, we make it a point to stay here. It's a cozy night's sleep on a good bed in beautiful surroundings. There are a few modern features (coffee maker, et. al.), and we may watch a little TV, but prefer listening to the night sounds and the occasional truck or car roll by on US 30. It's the quiet sense of nostalgia that keeps us coming back year after year.

• Stayed August 2011
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have known about the Lincoln Motor Court for a while now and were finally able to experience a stay. Our destination was the road itself, The Lincoln Highway, to immerse ourselves in the nostalgic history of the sites along the way. Staying at the motor court was a large part of experiencing the history. The rooms are small cottages with a bed, desk, TV, refrigerator, coffee pot, chair and bathroom. There was no telephone or air conditioning. With most everyone having cell phones today, I am sure the lack of telephones is not a big deal even by our standards today. Probably the air conditioning is the only thing I really missed - not because of the heat. It was a damp day and the dampness was throughout the cottage. But, I lived and appreciated the fact that the original travelers of the road did not have today's conveniences. Debbie was friendly and helpful to us from the time of our reservation to check out procedures. We cannot wait for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn Bedford
Hampton Inn Bedford
#4 of 10 in Bedford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bedford

Been to Lincoln Motor Court? Share your experiences!