“Coral Caverns” 4 of 5 bubbles

Coral Caverns
Valley Forge,PA
“Coral Caverns”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited the caverns on sat. & were very impressed. It was a great find. You could actually walk through and see things up close.I would not recommend flip-flops,the floor is slippery due to the clay floor.That's what makes this place different,its very old time tourist stop. Will be going Back!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank melissamakins

Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went on a Saturday and found the cavern with no problem, GPS directions work well. I liked that the caven stays true to a cavern feel without too much commercial upgrading. We actually got to walk on the cavern floor and right up to all of the sights inside without being corraled and blocked off with decksand ropes. It was nice to look around the gift shop that is set up more as a museum to stroll through at my leisure with no sales pressure.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Anne Marie G
Cumberland, Maryland
“short half hour tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Hard to find. Take directions. Interesting railroad car at driveway entrance. Note the hours, only open weekends. The visitors center is small as well as the parking area. Cost was $12 per adult in 2011. Really wasn't that crowded. My group had about eight people. Tour lasts about a half hour. The guide was decent. The fossils were well preserved and very interesting. Bring good solid shoes. As expected terrain inside was damp and uneven. Some areas were slick. You also have to be capable of going up and down wet stairs. just be careful. Overall, decent for a side trip.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank ceephus
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Truly Unique -- Don't Miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

As my subject line suggests, a visit to Coral Caverns is a truly unique experience. When my mother found a couple pieces of rock that looked like coral in her yard in Shanksville, I did a quick online search and found Coral Caverns. We brought our samples and discovered that they were in fact coral fossils. As other reviewers have mentioned, the tour is relatively short compared to other cave tours; nonetheless, you won't miss any of the usual stunning formations that you see in bigger caves, AND you will see the fossilized coral wall, which you won't see anywhere else in the world. And the tour is very well designed with just the right mix of science, history, and personal anecdotes to keep things interesting.

The cabin/museum where you buy the tour tickets also has a collection of fossilized corals and other marine creatures like trilobites, and a really fantastic (and realistic) three-dimensional floor to ceiling art display of a coral reef with an abundance of colorful prehistoric marine life. Great for kids!

I loved this tour and would go back again.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank coralorchid
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Closed throughout week:(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

While at a hotel, I noticed this as a nearby attraction. We plugged it into the GPS and visited the site. When we arrived, we noticed a old sign that showed only weekend tours. Just up from that was a truck with a phone number. We called the number but there was not answer.....Could have been fun????

Visited July 2011
1 Thank WVtravelers489

Been to Coral Caverns? Share your experiences!