“Not the best Country Inn and Suites, not a great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lancaster Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Manheim
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Not the best Country Inn and Suites, not a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

I've stayed at Country Inn and Suites hotels in the past, and this one does not hold a candle to the others. This is an example of a franchise owner doing the bare minimum required by a brand: the towels were amazingly thin, and the furnishings appeared to be the cheapest option a franchise owner could select. We only stayed one night but encountered two maintenance issues: the fireplace in the lobby was broken and our toilet was clogged and had to be plunged.

The suite was spacious with a door that could close off the bedroom from the living room, with a tv in each room. However, there is only one heater/air conditioner under the bedroom window, so to heat or cool the living room you have to be too hot or too cold in the bedroom and you must leave the door open.

We stayed at the hotel for an event at the PA Renaissance Faire but it was at least a 15 minute drive, and the hotel is not near anything at all. Check it out on Google maps before you book. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmethystTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Newport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

Was in the area for a wedding at Riverdale Manor. Hotel staff was very courteous and made me feel welcome. Rooms were exceptionally clean.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

We have stayed at so many hotels with our children. So, I think I am a pretty good judge on good places to stay with the kids...and this is one of them! The rooms are spacious and clean. The front desk staff could not be more helpful and nice.

The location of the hotel was great. We went to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland and Strasburg; this hotel was in a good location to get to everything without having to pay the more expensive rates like you do when you stay in Hershey or Lancaster. It took us about 15 mins to get to Dutch Wonderland from the hotel and about 40 mins to Hershey.

Breakfast at the hotel was decent. It was nice to save the $30 it would cost us to go out to breakfast each morning. The items offered are pretty basic, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, juices, Coffee. It wasnt off the charts amazing, but it certanly filled everyone up.

The area around the hotel is farmland (for the most part). If you have an energetic little ones (like we do) bring a soccer ball- there are really nice soccer field right behind the hotel (not affiliated with hotel).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

We stayed at the Country Inn to be near the PA Rennaisance Faire this fall.

First, be aware that it is close to things, but you will need a car. The Ren Faire, which is near the PA turnpike is about 8 miles away, and the small town of Mannheim is a few miles also. Lancaster is a short drive, but I would consider Hershey Park a bit too far to use this hotel as a base. There is a very cafeteria looking restaurant next door, but a sign on the door said they were only going to do banquet catering from 9/08 on.

The only room left was a smoking suite, so we reserved it. The front desk did notice our note that we wanted non-smoking, but apoligized that the place was full. The room reeked of smoke enough to upset my allergies, but it was a smoking room.

The woman at the front desk was also helpful in recommending restaurants - the Cat's Meow in town was a nice little find if like me you are tired of chain restaurants.

The suite itself was Ok, and nice and clean. The bedroom section had its own TV and wasn't extremely tiny as sometimes happens in those rooms. Our room overlooked the cornfields and open fields, and was nice and quiet.

Downside, the AC/heat was right next to the bed near the window. Putting on the AC would freeze anyone near the bed while anyone in the front room was too hot. A little fan goes on between the room if you close the door, but nothing was doing much good.

The room could also be designed better. The desk has no outlets, so you have to crawl under it to plug in a computer or anything else. The desk chair was not ergonomic, height didn't adjust, and the armrest was partly cracked off - not comfortable to sit at for any length of time. The bathtub had no handholds at all, and the hair dryer was positioned right next to the toilet so it was hard to get to and use. The TV in the living room area was at a right angle to the couch so you couldn't see it from there. The whole suite could use some ergonomic review as well as upgraded paper products and towels.

Breakfast was decent - regular continental plus make your own waffles and some fruit salad.

• Liked — clean, nice staff
  • Disliked — room ergonomics
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DestinationMoon
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

There was nothing wrong with my stay, but it didn't blow me away either. It's everything you need and expect, very clean, and friendly staff. We did not try the breakfast. Only problem was that the hotel was full for a soccer tournament and there were young boys running up and down the hall like mad the first night we stayed there. After that, near silence in the hotel. It's a VERY convenient location for the Renaissance Fair and for exploring Amish Country. Not far off the turnpike and amid some very nice scenery and farms.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

My wife booked a whirlpool suite for an early summer weekend getaway. Although it cost a little more than I had hoped, it was significantly cheaper than most hotels in Lancaster about 10-15 minutes away.

The whirlpool suite happened to be a handicapped accessible room, meaning that the room was much more spacious than previously anticipated. We also received a room on the back side of the hotel which allowed us to look out our windows at the beautiful, quiet setting of PA Dutch Country farmlands and grassy fields.

The continental breakfast buffet contained cereals, waffles, fruit salad, and pastries. It was slightly smaller in content than some other Country Inn and Suites, but still was very suitable.

My wife and I also took advantage of the pool in the rear of the hotel. It was on the small side, but that didn't matter to us as we were the only people to use it that weekend. The water, however, was extremely cold, but that that was fine with us as it was refreshing on the extremely hot and humid days.

The location of the hotel may be a little out of the way depending on your activity. It is about a 20-minute drive to many of the popular attractions in Lancaster, and around 45 minutes to Hershey. It is also just a few minutes from the PA Renaissance Faire located on the other side of Manheim. One other neat attraction just a minute from the hotel is Roots Farm Market and Auction which is open on Tuesdays.

There is a very nice Country Table family restaurant located next to the hotel which gives a 10% discount to hotel guests. To find other name-brand restaurants, you would have to drive to Lancaster about 10-15 minutes away.

Overall, my wife and I had a very relaxing weekend getaway at this hotel, and we would gladly make a return visit in the future.

• Liked — The quiet location of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
wayne,pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

VIsit the area every August for the Renaissance Faire. Chose to stay closer this time so booked this motel. What a mistake. I booked on line and got a rate of $139 per night for the weekend plus tax. Luckily I always print my reservations. When I checked in I asked the surly woman at the frontdesk if my debit card was going to be charged and she said no. The next day I checked my balance and saw the Inn had not only put a hold on the 2 nights, but an extra $50 or so. I was furious. I asked the woman about it and she first denied it. She then checked and said it was only an authorization and they add some extra money in for charges. I have no idea what charges as this place had no amenities whatsoever. On checkout, I asked another surly woman about my bill and she tried to charge me $149 a night. I demanded to know why and at first she told me rates go up on the weekend and to contact the Internet company. I demanded to see the manager who was conveniently not there. I held my ground and she charged the original rate.
This place is far inferior to the local Hampton Inn, Courtyard and HIlton Garden Inn. The breakfast- if you can call it that- was awful. Only positive was that the room was clean. The pool was miniscule, esp for the amount of guests staying here. Don't.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no business services- a disgrace in this day and age; horrible frontdesk
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manheim
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Warehouse Hotel
Warehouse Hotel
#2 of 7 in Manheim
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites/Lititz

Been to Lancaster Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!