“Great Event Location”

The Desmond Hotel Malvern
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just returned from our 4th trip this year to Malvern and the Desmond Hotel. We travel from Kentucky to visit family and enjoy all that Philadelphia and the surrounding area has to offer. The crown jewel for us is the Desmond Hotel. Each time we stay we love it more. The staff is super friendly and excel at their jobs. The food is top notch. Chef Chris Calhoun and staff continue to elevate the quality and variety of menu items offered. We attended "Main Line Today's Food and Wine Affair" held at the Desmond this trip and were able to enjoy two world class food and wine events. The location is perfect for gatherings large and small. We will come back next year specifically for this event. Large comfortable rooms and hotel staff that remember your name and preferences make us loyal Desmond people. It is the perfect place to rest after enjoying all that Pennsylvania has to offer.

Room Tip: The king rooms feature massive canopy beds. We have always had a quiet area for sleeping which is i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We attended a wedding reception and were thoroughly impressed by the wait staff and fast service. The meal was served slowly and carefully each course served smoothly. The coffee was not refilled at the end which was poor. The fillet was fine and tender. What an elegant venue .

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed here overnight and also dined in their restuarant. Everthing is always great! I just hosted a brunch for 20. I am always nervous doing hosting, especially when people have never been to a place before. Everyone loved it! They gave us our own wait staff and privacy on the covered patio. What I love about this place is the staff are nice. The many food choices are great for brunch. I have been to brunch other places that cost more, but are more "buffet" type brunches. Everything looks so freshly prepared. The salads you can tell are prepared fresh, in house. Most of the desserts are home made and outstanding-try the bread pudding and banana creme pie:) Everyone reallyed enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, attention by the staff and the food. The Dining Room mananger made a point to come out and direct people to the dessert area so they knew this was in additional to the muffins, donuts etc that were by the breakfast food. Great coffee too. A couple people mentioned that the china was pretty. It is a nice for a group of mom's to be waited on and pampered. Everyone said they are going to try to go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelto2
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend, for a youth hockey tournament. I will return next year. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. The rooms are OK they due need to be updated. The bed was very comfortable. I do agree with a previous reviewer stating that electrical outlets are few in each room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank racanfan3
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel for the past 5 years or so for a planned corporate-booked "getaway" weekend. The employees at the front desk are always extremely helpful and courteous. Issues are taken care of right away. But I have started to notice that nothing has changed in the decor over time. The restaurants have a dated look with dark woods and carpeting. Hallways are dark and smelled of the chlorine from the indoor pool, lamps in the room are inadequate, rooms remain dark even on the sunniest of days and plugs for today's electronic must-haves are few and inconventiently located beneath desks and beds. On my trip this past weekend, housekeeping was not up to par and caused my family and me to have to change rooms. I know that I will be back there as this is the location that the corporation uses as their first choice. I hope hotel management reads these reviews and makes some changes.

Room Tip: rooms on the front of the hotel face the parking lot and you can be disturbed by car headlights. ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank queensuze
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most recent stay and your feedback. Your comments are welcomed and taken very seriously. We are in the middle of a property upgrade and the issues you brought up are planned to be addressed. Some items already in the works are; new soft goods for all guestrooms, improved guestroom and hallway lighting, new wall covering throughout many areas of the property, and new bathroom design including new hairdryers.

Improved charging capability is an item we are currently reviewing, there is a conveniently located plug on the front of your desk. Perhaps that was over looked, but regardless we are going to improve the charging capability by the bed to make it easier for all of our guests.

Please know we do listen and engage with all of our guests, and many changes are well underway at the Desmond.

Michael Chain

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I travel 200+ days a year, and get tired of staying at Marriott....When I know what the artwork is in the room before I check in it is time for a change:)

I have stayed at the Desmond many times, and always feel "at home". Walt at the front desk is a gem - I don't know how he does it, but he always remembers me and goes totally above and beyond to make my stay great.

I love the four poster king bed, the larger bathroom.

Its a beautiful property - nice outdoor dining, lots of trees surrounding the property.

As a weary world traveler, the Desmond is a welcome respite!

Room Tip: Not a bad one in the bunch!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The room is comfortable but this is not designed for business traveler. The plugs are few and they are under the furniture so happy crawling. They could at least have the lamps that have a plug. The decor is from the 1990s, the halls are dark.
The gym is steaming. It is next to the pool and the door does not close tightly so, the heat from the pool comes in. The AC in the gym itself is too weak to cool down the area.

Room Tip: Bring a power strip to plug your gizmos.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Asian_French_Chick
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us! I am sorry you were unable to charge your electronics easily. We do have signed outlets on the front of the desks, perhaps they were over looked.

I have looked into the air conditioning, and when I inspected the fitness center and the pool area they were quite cool. I did meet with the appropriate staff members to remind them the importance of maintaining proper temperatures in all areas of our hotel.

Michael Chain

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of...
#1 of 16 in King of Prussia
Hotel Warner
Hotel Warner
#1 of 7 in West Chester

Been to The Desmond Hotel Malvern? Share your experiences!