“A venue for a wedding reception and a great nights sleep!”

The Desmond Hotel Malvern
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I was best man at my best friends wedding last week and the happy couple picked this hotel as their reception venue.

Firstly, as a hotel I couldn't recommend it enough. The rooms were lovely, all double rooms have a four poster bed and all double rooms have 2 queen size beds. The cleanliness of the rooms are of high quality, with all toiletries for use in the bathroom. Each room have a large flat screen TV with cable for free use. There is an English style bar, called The Fox & Hound, with imported wood from England making it feel like home! As well as that there is an indoor pool, with gym & a restaurant. It's a high end hotel with one problem - the location. I would say it's not anywhere near where you would need it to be.

One little tip, ask for a room nearer the entrance; we had a long walk to our room and it was a long walk!

Secondly, the venue as wedding venue was also very impressive. There was a private bar for use of the guests, with a conservatory and guest room for about 200 guests as well as a hall laid out with a dance floor and dining space. The interior is well presented and they are happy to cater to what you need in there for your particular wedding.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Lewis-in-London
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and positive feedback, I am thrilled you were happy with your accommodations! Please visit again, next time you are in the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

stayed here for a business workshop in nearby frazer. the pseudio colonial design kind of of felt like being on the set of "the shining". staff was friendly enough, breakfast was ok but not great, view was depressing and the fact you couldnt open a window even more so. there were three framed paintings in my room, all of them the same drawing. but it was a big room and the shower and bath were big and clean. for a business trip, i'd say its an adequate hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are in the middle of updating our property, I am sure you will like our improvements. We do have many rooms with open air access, please ask us next time you choose to return the Desmond. Thank you again for choosing the Desmond.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Desmond always has great service, it is somewhat dated, but I noticed on my last stay that they are slowly getting rid of the "grandma's house" feel. It is fairly quiet and convenient to walk to the more casual bar across the street "Baxter's", if you are not in the mood for the more upscale atmosphere in the bar and restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Ask to be closer to the front desk...the property is laid out such that the lobby is on one end of t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel, your positive feedback, and for noting our ongoing renovations. We are constantly improving our facility and hope you will return to the Desmond again soon.

Safe travels,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I wanted to leave a review for a place that my family frequents, the Hunt Room at the Desmond Hotel.

This is my favorite place to dine in Chester County. I’ve tried almost everything on the menu and everything tastes terrific. Great service, great food, great ambience. Also a great hotel to stay at. It is convenient to the PA Turnpike, therefore easily accessible from Philadelphia and points West and East. Can’t say enough about the Desmond.

Signed, Isabelle

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and your review, tell all of your friends! I hope you will return to our restaurants again soon, we just sent out a great offer to our rewards members, check the website for details.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at the Desmond in Malvern 4 nights and enjoyed every minute. Very nice rooms with super comfy linens and plenty of extra towels in the bathroom. The room was quiet and temperature was easy to adjust to our liking. Loved Fox & Hound pub. The staff was super friendly. The wine and beer list is extensive. The atmosphere quiet and comfortable. The Hunt Room food was delicious. Chef Chris Calhoun and staff prepared beautiful and tasty meals. The hotel location is great and the shuttle was such a nice perk. Will be back in the area and will certainly stay at the Desmond. Can't wait for good weather so we can visit the patio and live entertainment. Would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and your comments, I will be sure to pass them along to our staff. Hopefully we will see you again soon,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently stayed at the Desmond - and its a throw back to 1985. Floral wall paper everywhere and the halls have a very 'shinning' feel.

Stayed on the 2nd floor and it appears to be under renovations. Never got a great sense of clean here, but it wasn't necessarily dirty either. Again, my room looked like grandma's would - more floral everything; bed cover, walls, decor.

One thing that was really weird was the lack of drinking water. The beverage concession didn't have any...and there was none left in the room for either purchase or for free. I finally went to the front desk and they worker gave me one and made some comment about them being normally $2, but I could have this one on the house. The whole 'transaction' felt forced and there was no opportunity to get a second one (mind you, this is a 12oz bottle of water - I could easily drink two throughout the course of a night).

If I had any advice for the owner, put some water in the room. I don't mind paying - but make it available. Or put a sign up that water is available at front desk at least. Never seen this before.

The Fox and Hound had pretty good food: had the crab bisque which had a nice spice...also had the crab enchiladas, which when asked if was any good while ordering, the server said 'yes, if you're hungry'. What does that mean? Of course I'm hungry, i'm at a restaurant. Does it mean - this is if your fat and need a bit more? Tip to the servers there: learn how to describe the menu there a bit more. Hey, this is me being critical - they were all very nice people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tomatolord

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, we really appreciate your business. We are in the middle of improving our decor, thank you for noticing; new carpet, wall-covering, new lighting in the hallways and new soft goods and bathrooms for every guestroom.

I am so sorry about the water, I understand how you feel. We do have a sundry shop at the desk, that I thought was well marked, perhaps we can improve our signage there as well as the vending areas on every floor. Please send me a note when you are planning to return and I will have some cold water waiting.

I will review your other feedback with all appropriate staff, I hope you will join us again when you return to the Malvern / West Chester area. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I just paid $19 for the brunch buffet and ate almost nothing. I have not one good thing to say....I asked for an egg white omelette and less oil, the chef was unable to manage this and gave me a sloppy white mess of half cooked slop that I didn't even taste, it looked that bad. Potatoes were swimming in grease, grey and half uncooked. I guess half cooked is a theme here, because the bread pudding was also a mess of under cooked bread.
This visit was to check the food out before deciding if this is a candidate for my sons wedding, it's not!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry about your brunch experience, its very unusual that we would receive that kind of feedback. I feel terrible and wish we could have offered some amends on Sunday. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. I know we are better than we showed you last weekend and while your experience was what it was, I respectively suggest it was exception and not usual. I believe we are an wonderful special event host and if given another chance we would be a great fit for your son's special event. I would be happy to speak directly to you if you were willing to give us another chance.

Michael Chain

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Holiday Inn Express Frazer - Malvern
Brandywine River Hotel
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford

Been to The Desmond Hotel Malvern? Share your experiences!