“Nice surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

The Desmond Hotel Malvern
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
“Nice surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I went to the Desmond Hotel on a business trip. I arrived in Philadelphia, and it was a 30-45 minute trip from the airport to this hotel. The hotel is nice, very classic. The receptionists were nice. The hotel seems to make a lot of receptions and weddings, which is good for people who stay there for the event, but not so good for people who are staying there for other things. There was a wedding when I staid there, fortunately the event did not go up until very late with loud music.

The room is nice. However there was no safe to put things, which I had already been used to in other hotels. Bed was comfortable. The hotel is surrounded by many trees so its nice. Like being in the middle of the woods.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Desmond and for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, when you return, we can provide you with a safe or a safety deposit box should you feel the need.

Our entire staff appreciates your business and we hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Sincerely.

Michael Chain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel was all right. The bar is decent but the whole decor of the hotel is extremely old. The suites are really small but the regular rooms are ok size. Overall, an ok stay. A bit more expensive than I would have liked to pay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Travelsalot1984
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and for your feedback. I am glad you liked the King rooms and I am sorry you found the suites small. The feedback about the suites id the first I have heard.

We are constantly improving our facility and have recently begun a significant renovation to our hallways, lighting, carpet, guestroom soft goods, and guestroom bathrooms. I am sure you will like our improvements when you return to the Malvern area.

Thank you again for choosing the Desmond.

des12404
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My class reunion was held at the Desmond and it was a pleasant experience from check in to check out.
The hotel has been updated and my suite was very comfortable and quiet. The staff was welcoming and efficient.
Although the hallways are exceedingly long, the walk was worth it to escape the regular cookie cutter hotel chains and relax in a more intimate setting.
The suite that I had boasted a fireplace--but in reality, it was just the appearance of a fireplace with a mantle, but no logs or fire.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments in your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will return to our hotel and restaurants.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

hotel decoration is a bit old. front deck staff very friendly. Free WIFI internet. clean room. close to the business park I am visiting. will stay next time. breakfast is good. bed is very comfortable

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Desmond, I know you have many choices when you travel and my staff and I are happy you chose us. Thanks for your review, and we hope to see you again at The Desmond.

Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is a comfortable stopover or venue for a conference. It has good green parkland and in Fall the colours are unbelievably beautiful in this part of Pennsylvania. Rooms are spacious and quiet. The Fox and Hound pub is a delight with great guest beers and steaks unlike anything on offer in an English pub.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I am so glad you had a nice visit. We will be here to welcome you back to The Desmond when you return.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ok. The decor is a little much, very old school New England, but... The rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable, the pillows comfortable, and a nice flat screen to watch. The wedding reception was fabulous. The ballroom was elegant, the service was quick and precise and the food was fantastic. The bathrooms were even stocked with emergency supplies (mouthwash, mints, gum, band aids, needle and thread) which was very thoughtful. The walk to te room was a little long, and the location is in more of an industrial or corporate park type location. But overall a very good stay and a very good place for a reception.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will return again to the Desmond.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I just spent 3 nights at the Desmond for a conference and have mixed feelings.

The staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel generally was well kept with decent conference facilities but the rooms seemed to be in desperate need of an upgrade. The best feature of the room was the bed with a very comfortable mattress, good pillows and quality bedding. There were no refrigerators in the room. For $10 one could be provided. I passed. The bathroom was the low point. The tub and enclosure are very old. The shower head is circa 1950 and the faucets are not pressure or temperature balanced and are very sensitive in terms of getting the temperature of the water tolerable. The first day I was there, it seemed as if there was a hot water shortage. The toilet seat would not stay up which made it a bit of a challenge - nuff said! Even with the tank lid off the toilet seat would not stay up. The toilet ran periodically as well. Countertop and sink were also very tired. Towels were nice.

I agree with the previous reviewer that the food provided for conferencees was very good. The same could not be said for the food in the restaurants. I had free breakfast vouchers for the restaurant but one breakfast was enough for me. Fare in the pub was not much better.

The whirlpool tub was didn't really have jets but just seemed to bubble. This was not very useful as I was looking forward to a decent hot tub in the evenings. The pool is small. The exercise are seemed adequate but I didn't use it.

The hotel layout is quite linear and it is a long walk from one end to the other so I felt lucky to have a room closer to reception on the ground floor.

Not a hotel I would stay at again unless attending an onsite conference and even then may look for a nearby place to stay.

Room Tip: I would suggest either near the reception or at the far end of the hotel to be near your car dependi...