“IMAGINE A VEGAN THANKSGIVING”
Review of SuTao Cafe

SuTao Cafe
Ranked #21 of 72 Restaurants in Malvern
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
malvern pa
“IMAGINE A VEGAN THANKSGIVING”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Su Tao is a totally vegan reastaurant run buffet style. There are all the old favorites - Gen Taos, seaweed salad, eggrolls, miso soup, hot and sour soup, vegetable lomein, shrimp toast, all vegan.
On special occasions they double up on the buffet adding some unusual dishes. This year there was a Thanksgiving special featuring among other things a rice turkey (now that's unusual). The restaurant serves as a haunt for the local vegans, as well it should, but you don't have to have that dietary preference to enjoy the food. Considering the work involved in making this special diet you would expect the prices to be high. Not so! Ordinary meals run under ten dollars, the specials are usually twenty dollars. Not to be missed

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank oforamuse

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Vegan Cuisine”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

You can't go wrong with anything at SuTao -- it's all amazing! The buffet is affordable and delicious. I'm especially happy that they clearly mark the foods that are spicy and if they are just spicy or very spicy. They have cold salads, sushi, hot foods, soup and dessert. If you are vegan or vegetarian in the Delco/Chesco area, the trip to SuTao is well worth it. And if you bring any carnivores with you, they won't be able to tell that they aren't eating meat for the pepper steak or the general tso chicken or the duck. Amazing flavor -- a true gem.

• Visited July 2013
Norristown, Pennsylvania
“delicious vegan for everyone”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Three of us enjoyed our lunch buffet here at a reasonable price. We were: one total vegan and two omnivores. After browsing the buffet we all decided to sample everything there instead of ordering off the large menu.
Where do I start?? The soups looked great (Hot and Sour and Miso) but none of us thought we'd have room for that too, since the rest looked so tempting. There were about 10-13 hot items and a dozen or so cold, plus some fruits.

I tried the lo mein which was delicious - didn't miss the meat at all! The spring rolls were wonderfully flavored and not greasy at all. I think these were the best I've ever had anywhere - with or without meat. The eggplant was another wonderful surprise. It didn't look as great as it tasted and I don't know what their seasoning is but I have to go back for more. The Chinese mixed vegetables were also great. The only things I did not care for were the Gen Tso's chicken which had a tough crust and the yellow egg-less egg salad that I tried by mistake since it was under the sign saying homemade hummus. My favorite was the fried banana! Truly delicious and I have to admit I went back for more to finish the meal. Almost forgot - the tempura onion rings and broccoli! Fabulous and not greasy - just perfect!

My friends tried everything! And loved everything. We agreed to come back here often even tho it is a bit of a drive for us. The price for the luch buffet was $8.95, inlcuding tea.

• Visited February 2013
Banks, Oregon
“Oregon Fan”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We always make it to Su Tao when we come to visit relatives. The food is great and there is a good selection. There is also a small play area for children.

• Visited July 2012
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Vegan Buffet? You Better Believe It!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My partner found this place while driving to Lancaster, PA. I was shocked to hear that there was a place that was entirely vegan and served their food buffet style. I was even more shocked to hear that it was delicious. I insisted we go as soon as possible--I was intrigued!

The Cafe itself is a relaxed atmosphere. It serves ice water, tea, and lemonade for drinks. There is a cooler stocked with sodas and some other bottled items. It could possibly be BYOB for alcohol--I am not certain. My partner had the chance to meet the owner on his initial trip to Su Tao. We did not get the same greeting or introduction, but I didn't particularly care. If you're looking for a super fancy or formal dining experience, this isn't it.

Everything we had from the buffet was delicious, and I was anxious to try a little bit of it all. It focuses on Japanese and Chinese-style items. Part of the fun is getting to eat things that, as a fairly new vegan, I don't get the chance to eat when I go out. Things definitely tasted fresh. We were there on a slow evening, but there were a few times where it would have been nice to have some buffet items restocked that were low or out.

I thought their desserts were especially notable: their vegan apple pie and (what I believe to be) a vegan peach cobbler were very good. I usually find most asian buffets lacking in the dessert department. I would not have expected Su Tao to exceed my expectations in this area.

When my partner went this first time, he came on a Friday and there was a special additional buffet that you can pay a little extra for. (I can't find mention of this on the restaurant's website.) I didn't get a chance to try it (maybe they only offer it on weekends) but I heard it was well worth the additional expenditure. I have been told it includes a wide menu of vegan ice creams for dessert and a wider variety of entrees.

The staff on hand was friendly. Even if the turn over on the buffet trays is a bit slow, they truly care about their customers and the food they prepare. We enjoyed our meal. The price was very reasonable. It is nearly 45 minutes from where we live, but we definitely plan on returning in the future.

It is also worth noting we took two non-vegan heavy duty meat eaters along on our trips to SuTao and both folks loved the food. Feel free to bring your non-vegan friends and family along!

• Visited August 2012