“Upscale diner”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Upscale diner”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Had brunch here a few times. If you breakdown the food, it's just breakfast and you can get that anywhere and it's hard to mess up. But what you don't get is that they have taken breakfast food to a whole other level. It's a little pricey, but the portions are generous and most dishes are big enough to share.

The downside to this place is that it's small, loud, the seating is tight, and the parking limited. Basically, the interior is built like a house and someone just put tables and chairs in every nook and cranny.

If you do go, be prepared to wait a while for a table to free up.

• Visited November 2013

Wilmington, Delaware
“Upscale diner.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I went for lunch today and I was surprised at how large the restaurant is. Unfortunately it is very crowded because the tables are close together.
The servers are very professional and knowledgable about the menu which takes diner food to the next level. I had an ahi tuna burger for $11.95 which was absolutely delicious. My husband's poached eggs were more soft boiled than poached but the marmelade he had with this toast was from a jar, not those little packets.
I enjoyed it a lot.

• Visited March 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good - But needs to be better for what they charge.”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were there for breakfast this morning. We go every so often because the food is pretty good. So this morning we got there early and got a seat. The restaurant is not big and for anyone stuck sitting against the isle it's a constant battle of moving your chair for people coming back and forth. For those against the wall it's not much better. Like many have written the bacon is as good as people describe. The benedict's are the house speciality. But the issue is that that they have double the staff and half the room in the restaurant. They work on volume so they need to flip the tables quickly (I get that as a former waiter). But the issue is that after a while you can't hear yourself or who you're dining with because it's gets pretty loud. Further my chair kept getting hit which then bumped our table and spilled our coffee. By the time we were 3/4 quarters through our meal we had busers asking us if we were done and if they could take our plates. They have too many staff members watching over you to bus the tables and not enough of them refilling coffee/water. Service covers the whole spectrum and today's visit was disappointing. It was like being in a sardine can with a bill for $42 bill with tip to boot. As my Wife and I left we both agreed that it while the Classic is a great place to eat, for that amount of money and grief we could definitely find other places to try. We're not saying we won't come back but we hope when we do it's better then what we experienced this morning. Time to find another greasy spoon.

Side note for first timers: Get there before 8am, if you come afterwards be prepared to wait. Try to see if you can sit in back room and not up front. Try the benedict it's really good and of course the bacon.

• Visited March 2014
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Great food / Too Crowded”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food is always good. Best breakfast in the area, but not cheap. Seating is very tight and the place can get very noisey.

• Visited January 2014
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overrated”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had been hearing about the Classic Diner for a while and I finally decided to go on a Sunday. Much to my surprise it actually was not busy, so my review is not even tainted by the long waits that people often experience here. I got to try a French toast dish which was good, and then I split pancakes & an egg sandwich with someone. All of the food was extremely Average. I have personally made egg sandwiches that were just as good or better, and the pancakes were nothing special at all.

I rated it 2 out of 5 because if I had waited as long as people usually wait here I probably would've given it a 1 and I had an issue with the price of the egg sandwich.

The egg sandwich on the menu clearly says $5. They asked me what I wanted the sandwich on and I said a bagel. When we got the check there was a $2 surcharge for the bagel...huh? So an already overpriced breakfast became extremely overpriced.

You are better off going to a greased spoon diner, paying less and liking it just as much or more.

• Visited February 2014

Been to Classic Diner? Share your experiences!