“Disappointed this time around”

Black Bass Hotel Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Bass Hotel Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Greenhill Road
Description: The Black Bass is located on the scenic Delaware River in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania, just 8 miles north of New Hope. The Black Bass is the perfect Bucks County setting to enjoy a fine dining experience in our riverside restaurant, more casual fare in our Tavern, or a luxurious weekend stay in one of our weddings or other special events as well as corporate meetings or gatherings.
Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed this time around”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We have been visiting the Black Bass for years, for Sunday brunches, lunches and dinners. The location is wonderful-- the drive up River Road from Washington's Crossing is so quintessential Bucks County, and when you are seated, the dining room looks out on the lovely Delaware River (or you can sit outdoors overlooking the river in nice weather, but on the day we were there the temperature was 102 unbelievable degrees and outdoors was the last place we wanted to be).

We had not been back since the place was refurbished under new ownership, and while I do miss the authentic slight shabbiness that came with the inn's many, many years of operation, I have to say that the restoration is very attractive. However, at least on the day we were there for lunch, the food was entirely ordinary, accompanied by hard-as-rock herb rolls that we speculated might have been made from leftover Revolutionary War cannon balls. All in all, not up to the many good reviews we have seen, I'm sorry to say.

PA
“vastly over-rated”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This was my first time back to the Black Bass since it re-opened. The view was just as spectacular as I remembered. The beet "salad" consisted of 4 small slices of beet with a few sprouts sprinkled on top - to the tune of $11. I hadn't had chateaubriand with bernaise sauce in years, so I was excited to see it on the menu. Brernaise?? Perhaps a hollindaise mix because I tasted NO tarragon. It was a bit like glue. the chateaubriand turned out to be an inexpensive grade B cut of tenderloin which was overcooked. As the evening went on it got louder and it was difficult to have a conversation. I was overall quite disappointed and won't be returning.

Pasadena, California
“Ka-ching!”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Oy-vey, where do I begin?

My first visit to the Black Bass was almost 10 years ago - and I had the fondest memories of that place (no doubt, helped by the fact that it was my future husband that took me there). Fast forward to April 2010. On a visit to the Delaware Valley area, and having heard that the Black Bass reopened, we eagerly picked up the phone and reserved a table. So, here it is:

Positives:

Location - very charming - old stone house dating back, if I am correct, to the 19th century, right on the banks of the canal and overlooking the Delaware River - a surefire bet for date nights.

Food - very good - solid safe selections - their shrimp appetizer with horseradish, and squid were delicious. Entres are also well-executed and ample - you will definitely not leave hungry. Desserts are delicious - I had their chocolate cake - very rich and velvety. My husband had their peach cobbler and was very happy with his selection. Another couple that dined with us was equally satisfied with their food choices.

Negatives:

Wine list - quite limited and overpriced. Having reviewed the wine selections, we were not smitten with the choices, and settled for cocktail drinks.

And herein lies our first major disappointment with this place - the bar staff definitely needs a refresher course - you can't pour a barely-drinkable sour concoction into sugar-rimmed glasses and call it a "sidecar" - it's an insult to venerable sidecars!

However, this little snafu pales in comparison to the second and last disappointment we've experienced here - the bill! Ladies and gentlemen, I am not a cheapskate (ok, I am, but I love and value good food and appreciate that people need to make a living). But $300 bill for a dinner for 4 without wine????? (and that's not including tip, which was another $60)? Come on, did you have to catch that red snapper with your bare hands?

So, if you are here, enjoy the location and the food, stick to straight liquor, and do not be surprised if you hear a humming sound when the time comes to pay for your meai - it's that little vacuum hose that's been attached to your wallet.

Bucks County, PA
“Gorgeous area, beautiful building, mediocre food - needs work”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I live in upper Bucks and have been to the Black Bass numerous times over the past 10 years. Though Lumberville is absolutely charming and the Black Bass renovation is beautiful, the food needs work. I was happy to see that my previous favorite, pumpkin ravioli, was still on the menu. Unfortunately, it was without a cream sage sauce and was now served with pumpkin sauce, on pumpkin ravioli - pumpkin overkill. It was also garnished with nuts, but strangely the nuts were only on one ravioli that was off to the side of the plate. There was no artistic presentation, which was surprising. Desert was forgetable, so much so that I can't remember what it was. The wine was great, but I waited and waited with an empty glass, only to be offered a second glass right before we were ready to leave. A rough start to this reopening - considering a restaurant should be on its best during this time. But I do love the building, which almost makes up for it. Should the food improve it could really be a wonderful place, but the food is, afterall, the main reason to choose a restaurant.

Chatham NJ
“Beautiful setting; wonderful ambiance...pretty expensive for OK food.”
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We went to the Black Bass because we were staying a few doors down the road. Being in town for a snowstorm, we thought it might be empty, but it was pretty full! It's right on the river and full of antiques - the tavern has a collection of Windsor royalty collectibles. The tavern doesn't serve food on Saturday nights, so we elected to have dinner in the dining room. The wait staff is attentive and pleasant; the wine was very good and carefully explained and served. But the goose entree was tough and not worth fighting all the way through. The food was, all-in-all, OK but that is disconcerting considering the price tag. The ambiance, however, almost made up for it.