“Romantic Atmosphere...Mediocre Food”
Review of Black Bass Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumberville
Black Bass Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I took my fiancee here for his birthday after a recommendation from a co-worker. The atmosphere was very nice, the service was great but the food was just okay. I ordered the Charleston Street lump crab dish which is their "signature dish". Not only was it really bland, but the cream sauce was so runny it was the consistency of water. I didn't eat the rice because it was also bland and cold. Nor did I eat the vegatables because they were way too crunchy and not worth the extra calories. My fiancee ordered the filet wrapped in bacon. Although it was flavorful and cooked to his liking, the combination of the fat on the filet and the demi glaze made it taste so much like pot roast which was really odd. On a positive note, I had the chocolate torte which was the highlight of the meal and unbelievably delicious. I just couldn't understand why they put a dollop of sherbet (which reminded me more of unsweetened water ice) on top of it. I could see Chef Ramsey having a field day with that one. I think this really deserves a 3 star but because the prices were so out of line with the quality of our entrees I'm giving it 2.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank welltraveled37

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just returned from a last-minute overnight at the Black Bass Hotel. It is a lovely bed and breakfast on the river road just north of the popular town of New Hope. I wasn't sure what to expect, since the tripadvisor reviews are hot and cold, but as an overnight guest, we couldn't have been more comfortable.

Our room, the "Major Frye", wasn't huge but had a gorgeous view of the Delaware River and a private deck. The bathroom was spacious and lovely, with an oversized tub/shower and tile floors. I thought we might be disturbed by noise since our room overlooked the restaurant deck, but we enjoyed a quiet night's sleep in an immensely comfortable queen-sized bed.

Breakfast is included, and it's a two-course deal. The yogurt with homemade granola is delicious even though the coffee wasn't to my liking. Check out the collection of British Royal artifacts that line the walls of the cozy bar.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river; the views are amazing, and the back rooms have private decks overlo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I planned a surpise, anniversary getaway for our 31st anniversary at the Black Bass Inn. Their website also had links to Open Table, which I used to make dinner reservations, as well as Flower Petal.com to have flowers delivered to our table.
Being the skeptic I am, I was sure something wouldn't go right.
Well, I was wrong. Our suite (The River Suite) was all set up with wine chilling and chocolate covered strawberries (part of the Anniversary Package). The room was warm, softly lit and very inviting.
Our dinner reservations were in place at the time requested, and by the time we arrived for our dinner, the flowers had been delivered and placed on our table.
PERFECT is the word I'd have to use for the Black Bass Inn.

John

Room Tip: The Inn's website has excellent descriptions of the rooms. Take the time to go through it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JohnandLinda81
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We have been here too many times. I say that because like others, we keep going hoping that it will just be better than it ever is. We blame ourselves: maybe we shouldn't have ordered the flatbread pizza; maybe we shouldn't have ordered the fish and chips; maybe we shouldn't have ordered the filet; maybe we shouldn't have ordered the cheese steak special; maybe we shouldn't have ordered the tempura shrimp, the beet salad...etc. All of these are things (and I'm ashamed to admit there are more than just these) have been ordered by us and were terrible disappointments.

The bar is cozy enough even when it's dead. The attitude of the managers strutting about and glaring in your direction to give you the signal "wrap it up -- we want to go home" well before their posted closing hours is unnerving. But really, it's the food that makes me downright angry. The fish in the fish and chips is mushy (which means it was frozen, probably refrozen, and refrozen); the flatbread was burned (not charred. Burned.), they butterflied a beautiful filet mignon to attain medium rare without asking (a cardinal sin -- can't they cook it to med rare?) and then poured red demi glace sauce all over it; husband got quite ill after having the cheese steak special the night he had it; the beets were mush in a recent beet salad; the tempura shrimp were tepid, mushy and the breading soggy. You see what I mean?

On our last visit, we ordered burgers (which they cannot cook to temperature so just know whatever you order is going to come out well done) and they were overcooked but edible. Last week we were thinking of where we could go for dinner during the week and the "Black Bass" came up as a possibility but was ruled out because no one wanted to shell out $50/per person for a really lame meal.

There is one bartender who is nice and the young kids who run the food are super sweet and eager to please. But otherwise the staff in general, the front office folks and a nasty tempered woman named Georgia are a disgrace to Mr. Thompson's assumed intention to provide great service. I don't know who's cooking in that kitchen, but we're not going to give them any more chances.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank JodiDiamond
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We have stayed at the Black Bass twice in the past two years and weren't disappointed either time. Both times we stayed in the Major Fry Suite. The balcony overlooking the Delaware River provided never-ending enjoyment. We even saw an eagle swooping around one morning. Walking over the footbridge to NJ is a great way to get a little exercise before dinner or after breakfast. Drinks in the bar were top drawer. No skimping here! The bartender was so attentive as well as telling us some of the history behind the dishes in the cases when we asked. Our meal the first time in the dining room was probably 3 star, good but not outstanding. On our last trip it was, hands down, one of the best meals we've ever eaten. The breakfasts are elegant and also delicious. We were treated professionally and courteously by everyone we came in contact with. We will be back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BlueCanoe07
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We have always enjoyed our drive up the River to the Black Bass and every time we dine there we leave slightly more disappointed than pleased. We keep going back hoping that the next time will be like the first time, right after New Ownership and renovation. Then, the food was magnificent, the service both professional and friendly and the atmosphere as close to Country England as you can get without stepping on a place. Alas, the entire experience has declined to the point where we have been there for our last time. Service last night was precisely like that in a busy diner on Route One in Langhorne - inarticulate, harried and rude. The food was actually cold; I couldn't believe it that the meat was actually cold, not just tepid, but cold. Drinks never arrived. We couldn't help but notice that there were 'management' types walking around, doing nothing, while tables went uncleared, customers were poorly served and several guests actually got up and walked out. The Thompson family should go there one Saturday night in disguise. If they did, they would fire the current managers and start again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank beentherenotthat
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We have visited this hotel twice and love it. The entire place was renovated several years ago and the results were outstanding. If you are looking for luxurious rooms, beautiful views of
the Delaware River and an escape to the New Hope, Pa. area this is the place for you. It is ideally located for touring the Lambertville, N.J/New Hope, Pa. area and is right on River Road.The breakfast is first class. We chose the room with the enormous shower and balcony overlooking the Delaware River. The restaurant overlooks the river and is worth trying. We even drove up for the day and had lunch on their terrace.

Room Tip: Check out the descriptions of each room and decide whether you want to spend for the river view (wo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank redramPhiladelphia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
#1 of 1 in Stockton
Porches on the Towpath
Porches on the Towpath
#3 of 19 in New Hope

Been to Black Bass Hotel? Share your experiences!