“We love this place”
Review of Black Bass Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumberville
Black Bass Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“We love this place”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My husband and I have been coming to the Black Bass for years...before we had kids and now, with two children. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel at home, and they were great with our two little ones. It's a special place from the minute you walk thru the door...loaded with character, beautiful location, tasteful decoration...and did I mention the food was really good, too? If you can, check this place out. I don't think you'll regret it !

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We were planning a wedding luncheon for 6 and had visited approximately 8 Lehigh Valley restaurants, looking for a menu that would please our party who ranged in age from 18 to 84, a unique and intimate atmosphere, great food and service, and ease of walking for our mothers. We were surprised to find that having a reasonably warm room on a December day is pretty tough to come by. One upscale French restaurant in Center Valley, PA, with a lovely setting actually told me that the manager "keeps a close eye on the thermostat" when I asked if the temperature could be raised a little for our luncheon. After all, I can have 64 degrees in my own house. I wanted at least 68 on my wedding day in my little ivory dress! Needless to say, upscale French was off the list.
Internet searching led us to the Black Bass and we took a drive along the river for a visit. We were greeted by Grant, the general manager, and I explained what I wanted. He smiled and waved me along with him and stated, "Come with me," and escorted us into a room with a massive fireplace. He pointed and said, "There will be a BLAZING fire in that fireplace!" Two other locations within the restaurant were offered as well. This was the beginning of what proved to be consistent efforts by staff to provide excellent customer service. Our waitress for our luncheon was Lorna, who was attentive, pleasant, knowledgeable, professional, and unobtrusive. Timing was wonderful. The food was fantastic, with selections and preparation that pleased everyone. My husband and I had dinner along the windows by the river. I expected it to be cold on this windy, December evening, but it was not. Karin kindly assisted us in transitioning from the restaurant entrance to the bar area and to our table while it was readied (we had arrived for dinner spontaneously), bringing us champagne and congratulatory words. Our waitress Jody, specifically placed me so I could enjoy the full moon reflecting off the water. She was a terrific waitress and will be in our memory of this wonderful meal. I overheard her giving the same friendly attention to her other tables. She obviously loves what she is doing and loves the Black Bass. We stayed the night in the Grover Cleveland Suite, which was immaculate throughout. I only gave 4 stars for sleep quality due to the fact that there is some noise, SOME noise, not a marching band, due to room location. We had no trouble falling asleep and remaining asleep, however. The next morning we returned to the dining room for our included breakfast and we attended to by Mara, who also was hostess. The excellent, pleasant service continued, as well as the delicious food. There were only 3 other people present that morning and we were free and encouraged to explore the restaurant and other unoccupied rooms. We also visited the General Store across the street for some goodies for the trip home. All in all, this was a perfect experience. We will definitely be returning and are planning to bike the towpath that runs directly in front of the Black Bass. Wish I was there now!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We were on a day trip so we did not stay in the hotel, however we dined there for lunch. I love eating or staying in historic places and the ambiance here did not disappoint. In addition to the historic feel of the place, the view from the huge windows overlooking the river are terrific. It is nicely located along the river in an area with parks, trails, covered bridges and so on.

Service was polite, the lunch prices reasonable, the food was good but not memorable. I had a crab cake - I've had better and I 've had much worse. My husband had a bbq beef brisket - he said the roll was dry, almost stale but fortunately was toasted which helped.

For us, eating there was probably a one time event. It was nice, but not nice enough to make us want to go back. We have other favorite spots and places we'd like to try.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed October 23, 2010

On this, my 4th visit to the relatively recently re-vamped Black Bass (all restaurant; we live locally so haven't stayed there), we were given a lovely table on the outside patio, with the gorgeous view over the Delaware River, and all felt beautiful and blissful. That lasted 15 minutes or so. There apparently was no waiter assigned not just to my table by also to other tables seated after me. I had to request water from the busboy.

Today's experience is what I call "it takes a village" approach. After about 20 minutes, I pleasantly inquired about the lack of server, from the hostess. It took another 10 - 15 minutes before even she apparently gave up on the useless guy and at least took our order. One of the managers also stepped in. Useless guy then twigged that he had customers but forgot to bring the bread, and then forgot the bread plate, and then forgot the bread knife. A guy at a neighboring table, also served by useless guy, had to ask plaintively if there was a dessert menu.

I wouldn't bother to complain about a one-time poor experience but this is the third in four visits that service has been absolutely...disappointing. All the more so because the food is fantastic, the chefs are cooking their hearts out, and the scenery is equally beautiful.

But I don't know, I walked away this time, as with the other few times, feeling more aggravated than pleased.

Management of this restaurant/hotel has a potentially superb drive-100-miles-out-of-your-way experience but it's blowing it with the bad service. I live about 4 miles away -- and am not sure if I'll make any big effort, to go here as opposed to other nearby spots.

Because you have to either do a thumbs-up or thumbs-down (with no option for ambivalence), I did mark thumbs-up but it's with hesitation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn S
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We booked a one night stay at the Black Bass and had dinner reservations as well. The room was very nice (Raven Rock) with a great view. The bed was large and comfortable and the shower was over the top. We stopped at the bar for a drink before dinner and found the drinks and service were excellent, We also were told that there would be a wedding rehearsal dinner downstairs that night. We were shown to our table over looking the Delaware River and ordered dinner along with a bottle of wine. we were to split an appetizer, which came in a timely manner. My wife had ordered a duck entree and I had ordered osso buco. After a nearly one and one half hour wait, we were told that our dinner was held up because of the dinner downstairs. At that point, we had pretty much lost our appetite --- just too long a wait, so we cancelled our dinner and retired upstairs. To their credit, the restaurant manager picked up the tab for the appetizer and wine, but it was still a disappointment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MFeinhals11
Frenchtown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My husband and I got married on Halloween 2009 at the Black Bass Hotel and the entire experience was exceptional. Our wedding was small but all of our 14 guests stayed at the hotel. The rooms exceeded expectations, the service was professional and friends. The food was fantastic. We are looking forward to going back in a few weeks to celebrate our first anniversary! And since we live right up the river, we plan to make it our annual tradition -- but will stop in for a cocktail or brunch in between anniversaries.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Booked a room 6 months ago on the river-put a deposit down at that time-reconfirmed room the day before our arirval (8/20/2010)-arrived to be put in a noisy front room next to the stairs-kids running up and down-NO SLEEP-way overrated--

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy
1740 House
1740 House
#1 of 2 in Lumberville

Been to Black Bass Hotel? Share your experiences!