“Wonderful Stay for a Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 1740 House

1740 House
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Franklin, Tennessee
“Wonderful Stay for a Wedding”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

After staying at the 1740 House last winter, we chose to have our wedding guests stay here for our wedding this past weekend. It was a beautiful weekend - snowfalls on Friday and a beautiful and warm day on Saturday. All our guests remarked at what a wonderful time they had and said this was the best wedding ever. The food was outstanding, and the staff went above and beyond for us at every opportunity. The innkeeper, Richard, and his wife, Theresa were very accommodating and sweet as could be. We had exactly the rustic and cozy atmosphere we were looking for. The Grand Suite was large enough to host 25 people for a Friday reception, and provided amazing views and a large outdoor deck with cute furniture. We held an after-party for about 40 people with desserts inside and a firepit with s'mores outside. We had some friends bring guitars and had a blast just singing songs, eating the wonderful food, and lounging in the living area. I would recommend the 1740 House to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway or a charming, rustic wedding.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, although we especially loved 6, 18, 7, 23, 18, and 2.
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to be host to your wedding guests overnight needs.

The group was a true pleasure to host. I will be certain to pass all of the compliments on to the staff. The staff had a great time being of service and the sing-a-longs by the firepit were contagious. (We caught ourselves singing too!) We hope to see you next year for your first anniversary.

P.S. Bring the guitars, I will have the firepits set up for the second set.
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Keansburg, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently visited the 1740 House for my best friends wedding. I have never had such a wonderful experience. The food there was outstanding and the staff was friendlier than I could imagine. The staff was very accomadating to all of our needs, the fires never went dull and the smiles never vanished, If you are looking for a romantic weekend getaway with outstanding food, wonderful staff and views that take your breath away then this is the place to go.

Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank You for sharing your experience at the 1740 House. The entire staff loves hearing that we contibuted to a wedding groups wonderful experience. I heard many of the attendees say that they would love to come back. Hope we get to see you with them soon!!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a wonderful B&B! The room was beautifully decorated with a lovely view of the river. The staff was attentive and helpful; making our staff very enjoyable. Breakfast was delightful and staff fulfilled our requests with pleasure. We would recommended the 1740 house to all!

Stayed February 2013
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for the sharing your visit on TripAdvisor. The inn's staff always appreciates hearing that our guest enjoyed their stay with us. Come back soon the inn is even more beautiful in the spring!
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a family wedding here from a Friday to Sunday. I stayed in suite 19, first floor. The room was spacious and clean except the carpet looked like it needed a good deep wash. The king bed was extremely uncomfortable, the only complaint about the room. The place is right on the river, with beautiful views. Since it was all family staying there, I got to go inside many of the rooms. They all seemed very nice. Our Friday night event was held in the Grand room - its a huge room, with a huge outdoor private deck and awesome views. At night we were able to sit around the fire pit outside and make smores or go inside to the common room where a nice fire was burning too. The workers were ok, the main owner guy wasnt that friendly. I think he seemed annoyed because we had so many people there all over the place. But everything was really nice and the breakfast on both mornings was good. Lots to choose from and a nice room to eat in. it was a 10 minute drive into new hope which was nice.

Room Tip: suites are much bigger and the Grand room was awesome
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your visit to the 1740 House. Room 19 is the second largest room at the inn and is frequently requested by repeat guests. We welcome all comments regarding our guests experience and will look into how to improve on your concerns.

Many of the other wedding guests stated they would be returning again to enjoy the scenic area. I hope you will join them.

Nanuet, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the 1740 house for a wedding being held at their sister property. I booked my room with a nice gentleman who gave me confirmation number, room #14 (king bed), and the deposit amount charged to my credit card. Upon check-in, I was told they did not have my reservation. Somehow I was given a confirmation # with only 4 digits although they said all confirmation numbers have 6 digits since last year. After searching the computer for almost 30 minutes they finally agreed to give us a room. The room was very small with a full sized bed (listed as a queen) the only lighting was 2 small bedside lamps, the bathroom was tiny and the water temperature while showering alternated between scalding and freezing no matter what the setting. Instead of a closet there was a rack to hang our clothes and although the view was beautiful, we could not enjoy it due to the amount of people celebrating in the bridal suite we shared the small balcony with. This room was 1/2 the size of the other rooms and cost the same. I then learned that the couple who booked the room we got insisted on being moved to another room due to the noise level from the bridal suite. They were moved to a suite at no extra charge. When I brought this to the attention of the innkeepers, I was told in a nasty tone that because they had arrived 30 minutes earlier they were given the room. We had 5 couples who knew our room had been booked almost a week before theirs (including the one who made the switch), but instead of offering us a discounted rate, it was insinuated that I had lied about having a reservation. It turns out we were not the only one's who had a problem. One couple had a room as disgraceful as ours, had no heat until 12:30 am, no soap and the same problem with the shower. Two families with 3 people were each given a room with 1 bed instead of the 2 beds they requested. Our breakfast experience was good, however another family member who asked when a hot item would be replenished was told they were not making any more because the buffet was closing in 15 minutes. From our experience the owners have no interest in anything but taking advantage of people who have no other options and certainly made their money off of our large family. I would never again stay on a property owned by these people. the 8 hours of driving back and forth would have been preferable to our stay.

Room Tip: make sure you have a valid confirmation number and the names, dates and times of who took the reserv...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DeeDee433
Rlobach, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
The staff of The 1740 House tries its best to accommodate the needs and requests of every guest.

Mistakes do occur, and if a guest arrives and we determine that a mistake has been made on the part of our staff, I personally see that the concern is resolved to the satisfaction of the guest.

At time of reservation we provide a confirmation by email of all information, including a copy of the registration and deposit paid. In this particular case, neither the inn staff or the guest could produce records indicating a reservation had been made and a deposit paid. I have continued to research for that record; even in today's high-tech world, it is possible to lose information. With that said, it is not possible to refund a deposit without record of a deposit ever paid.

Every room at The 1740 House is different in size and decor, with the view of the Delaware River helping to provide the charm they all share. The entire inn has an exceptional level of quaintness to it, making the overall experience a memorable one.

As the innkeeper I attend to all facets of the inn's daily care, which includes the check-in, breakfast, and check-out periods. I am available 24/7, in person and by cell phone, to receive requests and resolve concerns. I accepted compliments from other guests who were a part of your wedding group, many of them indicating they would be returning for another stay.

Should you or the inn staff be able to produce the records of a reservation and deposit, I would look forward to making the financial corrections as part of satisfying your concerns.

Yours in Hospitality,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The 1740 House is right on the Delaware River w/ a beautiful view. There was a balcony for warmer weather. The room was extremely clean and spacious. The morning breakfast was a wonderful assortment of hot and cold choices in a dining room with river views. At night you can lounge at the bar or sit in a cozy living room area with a fire place. It is a nice place to unwind. The inn is close to area attractions. Lastly a very nice staff will make your stay lovely!

Room Tip: stay in room 17, on the end and very spacious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 712CC
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for the compliments. I like to think we offer a special place for people when they stay with us. I have pass on the review to the team of Tammy, Kim, Tricia, Sara, Lou Ann and Wendy. Many people have their favorite rooms here at the 1740 House. I would have to say if you like up and out of the way , Room 17 is a perfect fit. I have my own favorite room too, but I only share which room it is when people request it. Don't stay away too long, All of us at the 1740 House love to see returning guest.
New York
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We planned a short get-away in Buck's County; we have been to New Hope & many of the surroundings, but always said we would stay a few days. Hubby selected 1740 House based on these wonderful Trip Advisor reviews. We have never been to a B&B and were pleasantly surprised. The staff is just super! We were just delighted with the accommodations. overlooking the lovely river and listening to the birds, & enjoying the peaceful surroundings. When we checked out this morning, we had mellowed-out and were so relaxed and it was exactly what we needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17; this was located at the very end on the second floor. It was very private, qu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzieQ044
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for the sharing your stay on Tripadvisor. The staff and I love what we do in providing the environment to relax. Of course the natural surroundings make it easy. Come back soon and we will help you relax again.

Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
#2 of 2 in Lambertville
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!