“Idyllic setting along the Delaware River”
Review of 1740 House

1740 House
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2012

In it's peaceful setting, the 1740 House delivers on charm and service. My room was much larger than expected, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom was a little quirky, but clean and functional. Breakfast each morning overlooked the river and was tasty self service. There is an on-site bar which proved popular. The staff went our of their way to make sure our visit was enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for the kind compliments. The team of Trisha, Sarah, Kim,Courtney, Chef Annie B Tammy and I enjoy taking care of each and every guest. The decor that you referred to as quirky has been described that way by other guest, but everyone agrees it works to make for a unique style in this great country setting. I hope that your travels bring you through Lumberville again soon!
Cheers

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We ended up staying at the 1740 house because it was one of the few places that would allow us to stay for only one night on the weekend. Most places around New Hope insist on a 2 night stay on the weekend which we could not do. The house is just a quick and very scenic drive north of New Hope.When we arrived we checked in and were given a tour of the house by Richard. Even though the house is under construction( they are adding on) it did not interfere with any views except for the bar. I was travelling with a party of 5 women and we had rooms 23 & 25 king suites on the second floor. It was absolutely perfect! The 2 rooms are directly across a small stairway from each other with its own entrance. We ended up leaving our doors open and locking the outer door so it was like having adjoining rooms. The staff also had a air mattress all set up to accommodate all 5 of us. We decided to head down to the bar after we settled in and the bartender Trish was absolutely wonderful! She even stayed later then the 9pm closing time. When I woke up in the morning i laid in bed watching the river go by before rising. We indulged in a huge breakfast including eggs, french toast, sausage,sweet potato home fries, muffins, fruit, yogurt, and cereals. If you walked away hungry that was your own fault! I would defintely go back to the 1740 house.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Rlobach, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for the many compliments you gave us in your review. The construction is scheduled to be completed by late May 2012. The construction will add seating and a greater view of the river from the pub area. I forwarded your kind words to Trish (bar) and Tammy (breakfast). I look forward to seeing you and the girls again (or bring the husbands) soon.
Cheers

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay. The innkeeper, his wife and staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very nice. We ate in the local taverns and really decompressed. Any guidance we needed was given. Yes, we would certainly go back. Great trip...very relaxing and private.

Stayed: March 2012
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thank you for the compliments. Tammy and I, as well as the staff of 1740 House love to offer the environment where our guest can just get away from the everyday hustle and bustle. Hope to see back soon!!
Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We just stayed at the Inn over the weekend. It's lovely, warm, welcoming. Our room (#20) looks out to the Delaware River, as I think many, if not all, the rooms do. It's a great location, very quiet
north of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ and between Frenchtown and Stockton on the NJ side. Highly recommended and we would/will return.

Room Tip: #24 looks nice too but we didn't see any others besides that and our own, #20.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lobelia3
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Thank you for the postive review, Tammy and I (new innkeepers) as well as the veteran staff that we have strive to make the 1740 House a quiet getaway location. Every room indeed have a great view. For something different try a second floor room with a balcony on your next visit.
Regards
Richard Lobach Innkeeper.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I have been going here for years and it is our favorite place to stay in the area and I think we stayed at almost every B&B in the New Hope area. I love the view and I feel the price is very reasonable for the area. I am disappointed to here about the pool though. I found out about it here on Tripadvisor when I went on to write this review. The pool was one of my favorite parts of the hotel.
This week my husband planned a trip for my birthday not realizing we could not bring our baby. When I found out where we were going I knew their policy and called to cannel days before our reservation. The inn keeper I talked to was very understanding and allowed us to cancel without issue. I really do think this shows what a nice and friendly place this is. I am looking forward to another trip to the 1740 house but a romantic one without our baby perhaps later this winter.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank tulababy
ikeep, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Hello, My name is Richard Lobach. I am the new innkeeper of the 1740 House (as of January 2012.) In reviewing the Tripadvisor post, I am very pleased to see how much you like the 1740 House when you visit the New Hope area. In your post you mention the pool. Seeing where the pool was I see why you and many others enjoyed the the pool area and why it it be missed. The new ownership is making improvements to the over all inn which I belieive you will approve of. I hope you will look us up when your travels bring through the New Hope area in the future.

Cheers,
Richard

P.S. Yes, the inn is right for that romantic getaway without your baby, hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I must preface this review by saying that we planned to stay 3 nights in late July but cancelled our reservations for the reason stated in this review.

As visitors to the 1740 House virtually every summer since 1990 and at other times throughout the years, we had planned our trip back for this July. Fortunately, when making reservations, I commented over the phone to the new owners how much we have enjoyed the pool over the years. I was then told the pool was closed and that it was to be replaced with a garden and a fountain, but that we would enjoy the improvements to the inn. Our experience has been that over the years, the quality of the hospitality and the breakfasts has varied with whoever was hired to be the innkeepers, yet the rooms have always been beautiful and comfortable as well as private, and there was always the beautiful pool, one of the most relaxing spots on the planet. Upon learning of the demise of the pool which, incidently is still pictured on their website, we cancelled our reservations.

The 1740 House is in a beautiful area, the rooms are comfortable, yet without that pool which was a constant, we will not return. I simply cannot imagine what the new owners were thinking as the pool was one of the inn's major attractions.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank jlkdhk
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the 1740 House and was very disappointed. When making our reservation I said we wanted room #2 right off the pool. At no time was I told the pool was closed. What a surprise when we pulled up and saw a grassy area where the pool once was. When checking in I asked about the pool and was offered an explanation for the decision of closing the pool and was given a $25 gift certificate for the Black Bass, as if that was going to make everything ok. The first two mornings breakfast was great, eggs, bacon. sausage and homefries just to have the next two mornings with cereal and muffins. What a let down! My husband and I enjoy sitting in the courtyard, relaxing, looking at the view of the Delaware River and playing cards. Two nights out of our four night stay the Association (owners) hosted a gathering in the courtyard for their own purpose. Needless to say, my husband and I felt very uncomfortable and could not enjoy the courtyard. Perhaps, guest should be told of these hostd parties when making reservations. After coming to the 1740 House for over twenty years we will need to find ourselves a new B&B for our getaways.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SUSAN S

Hello, My name is Richard Lobach. I am the new Innkeeper at the 1740 House as of January 2012. By your post and many others I see the pool will be missed by many of the loyal long time guests. I cannot speak on behalf of the pool's demise due to not being part of the decision when it was removed. Your comments on breakfast and events held at 1740 house are very valid in the sense that communications of changes in venue and events happening at our inn will help in making an enjoyable stay. I would be please if I am allowed to be your host and able to regain your loyalty to staying with us when you are in the New Hope Area. I hope to hear from you soon so I can show you an improve services at the 1740 House.

Cheers,
Richard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
4 mi away
Porches on the Towpath
Porches on the Towpath
#3 of 19 in New Hope
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!