“Stay Away At Any Cost”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lock Haven
Texas
“Stay Away At Any Cost”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This is the worst experience in a hotel that I have ever had in my life. First morning shower, I noticed that the bottoms of my feet were dirty. The place is filthy. The front desk staff parks and blocks the entry way all night every night. Don't go to breakfast (which was tasteless) at 6:29, they will tell you breakfast is at 6:30, despite the fact that the night clerk was filling her face. Don't check out at night either, it took over 1/2 hour and I am still arguing the bill. The bed was the worst I have ever slept in. The sheets were dirty and they refused to change them. This a a rank hotel. Smelled marijuana all afternoon and evening and the staff did nothing about it. Dogs left to roam in lobby.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Pleasant helpful staff. Decent breakfast. Good location for visiting Lock Haven. It has few amenities. Restaurants three blocks away, no pool, no microwaves or refrigerators in most rooms (we had three different rooms during two stays and 2 had no refrigerator so we were surprised to find the 3rd had one!) Good laundry machines. Good computer in the lobby no cost. At present there are only B&B's around town, but a Marriott is being built to open in the fall.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
worldtravler09
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I had to come into Lock Haven to bring my son to orientation at LHU. I did not want to stay in the dorms and this was the closest place to the university.

The lobby was the hotel is welcoming and the girl at the front desk greeted me as soon as a walked in. The staff was helpful the entire say with places to go, directions and just making casual conversation.

The best part of the stay was the beds. They were so comfortable, I told my husband that we had to get one of those at home. I don't know what they have but I had amazing sleep.

The rooms were comfortable and affordable. Since my son will be living in there I think that I will be staying at this hotel a lot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank worldtravler09
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed May 12, 2009

No frills but a good room and bed. The internet connection is mediocre. There is no restaurant but the Dutch Haven restaurant is with in walking distance and a couple others. The Madison restaurant beats all restaurants in the region (probably the state) but it is at the Wellington B&B in McElhatten (next exit up) so you would be better off staying there.

Personnel are nice and friendly. Continental breakfast is average but they have a waffle maker.

They have a conference room. They have a public PC and printer in the lobby, if you want to call that a "business center".

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one night for the Little League World Series. The hotel is about a 30 minute drive from Williamsport. The room was clean. The place smells like new carpets had been installed. The bed linens were very comfortable and soft. The breakfast is good (eggs, bacon, waffles, cereals, and breads)This only negative is that there is no pool. This is a nice place.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AARVacations
philadelphia pa
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I booked this room because my son and I were going to attend an open house at Lock Haven U. the next morning. First I have to say the hotel seems to have been recently renovated. Beds and carpets appear new. They use the "double sheeted" throws on the beds (which I like). Breakfast was good: there's a make -your- own waffles station, omelets, sausage, continental items etc. Only criticism is that the dining area consists of three tables and a small countertop and it's crazy during peak breakfast time. Plan on taking your breakfast to your room.

All in all not bad given the reviews I read here.

Now the negative part: I had made the reservation online on January 25th for two double beds. The day before my reservation (which was for February 29th) I received a call asking if I wanted to be "upgraded" to a king sized bed. I said no, I needed the two double beds because there were two of us.

When I checked in however, I was surprized when I opened the door to our room to find I had been given a king anyway. When we went back downstairs, the clerk told me they were "overbooked". She did comp us a second king room, but I was angry that it happened in the first place. She saw that there were two of us, yet let us shlep our things up to the 4th floor anyway. Was she hoping we'd just accept it? And I wasn't comfortable with the whole idea of my 17 year old being in a room by himself.

Even though the hotel was nice enough I don't think I'll be staying there again. It doesn't appear to be well managed. The next morning I heard a gentleman complain to the clerk that someone had tried to get into his room the night before, and she said "oh, we have you in the system as having checked out yesterday, and had the room listed as open and available"

They need a new system.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This hotel definitely needs some love. A little renovation or more would do a world of good. First, the staff at the front desk is overworked and overtasked. If they are front desk staff then let them be front desk staff. Customers should not have to look for them in the laundry room as they are folding sheets. Second, how about some air conditioning in the elevator? A guest relieved themselves on the elevator before I got on and almost died. Later I found that the staff had sprayed room spray in there that did not dissipate for hours. The bathrooms are dated and way too small not to mention dark and dingy. The tub had hair in it and did not appear to have been cleaned. The hallways of the facility were hot and musty. The area designated as a breakfast area was very small. Guests were hardly able to navigate around to prepare their coffee. There were a few small tables and chairs to sit and eat but we chose to go to a nearby donut shop.
While we were there, guests could hear how most of the rooms in the bldg need to be cleaned but there was only one housekeeper on duty to tend to that task. The lady at the desk was as professional as she can be and clearly overworked but a hotel does not run with one person. It takes a team and lots of support from an owner. Prices are higher than hotels 15 or 20 mins away which are nicer. We will stay out of town on our next visit. I think the city of Lock Haven needs to take a closer look at it's facilities and realize how unattractive they are making such a physically beautiful city look.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lock Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites Lamar
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven
#2 of 2 in Mill Hall
#1 of 1 in Milesburg
Surestay Signature Collection Genetti Hotel by Best Western
Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsport

Been to Best Western Lock Haven? Share your experiences!