“Pleasant over night experience!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lock Haven
“Pleasant over night experience!”
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in to this hotel without a reservation and were very pleased. The accommodations are new, with a modern, tasteful decor throughout the hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly, with the exception of our first encounter with the front desk clerk when we arrived at 3 o'clock on July 2nd, who acted like he did not want to be bothered with two older guests. But everyone else was super friendly and every amenity was provided. The breakfast was very nice and the coffee great! Overall we enjoyed our one night stay and would return her again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield Team L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear jilizsmith,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. While I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, our breakfast and coffee, our decor and all but one of my staff members, it upsets me that one of my staff members would treat you in a manner that was less then perfect. I truly apologize for this hicup in what otherwise sounds like a wonderful stay--thank you for commenting that you would come back and give us (the whole team) another shot to "WOW" you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times now on my trips back and forth driving between Ohio and New York. It's just about at the midway point, only requiring a short detour through the cow fields and farmhouses of Pennsylvania (very scenic at sunrise in the fog). I seem to have amazing luck getting very low rates on Priceline here, making this probably the best deal I've ever gotten on any hotel! The place is spectacularly clean and comfortable, and the breakfast is the best I have ever found at any hotel--not only do they have Belgian waffles with real blueberries to top them, good donuts and muffins, and breakfast sausage/ham/cheese biscuits for those who like unhealthy stuff :) but they also have a great selection for the more health-conscious: good fruit, several varieties of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc. I have used the fitness room and it is VERY well-equipped, well lit and clean, with a view of the indoor swimming pool. The wifi here is free and works great. The bed is SUPER comfortable with lots of fluffy pillows, and the rooms have a mini fridge and some have microwaves too. The bathroom has new fixtures, very clean, nice towels and Pantene shampoo AND conditioner.
While this hotel is a little bit out of the way from route 80, it feels so safe and I always feel comfortable leaving stuff in my car in the parking lot which is in clear view of the front desk. The lobby has computers you can use, a fireplace, and is generally a very welcoming place to hang out/eat breakfast.
Best of all is the attitude of the staff here. I was stuck in a bad traffic jam in Ohio and wasn't going to be able to make it to the hotel till 5:30 a.m., and I was so grouchy and tired--but Brian, the guy manning the desk all night, reassured me that I would have no trouble checking in so late and he even allowed me to check out VERY late the next day, 3 pm--which allowed me to rest adequately to continue my trip. I was so grateful that he made this special effort to make my trip easier after the ordeal of sitting on route 80 for hours waiting for them to clear the wreck far ahead of me!
I will continue to try and stay here every time I drive to and from the midwest/New York. It's got to be one of my favorite hotels in the country!

Room Tip: If you want a microwave make sure to ask in advance--not all the rooms have them.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank flyermontana
Dear flyermontana,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are so pleased that we have made your top hotels in the country list. I honestly consider that quite an achievement for our hotel in Lock Haven. We certainly are a bit off the beaten path from the interstate and realize that the 8 miles off the interstate are not going to be appreciated by every traveler but are so glad that the scenery of central Pennsylvania appeals to you!
I am so glad our amenities meet and some exceed your expectations, we try hard to provide some "little extras" that may be valued by our guests. It is also always wonderful to hear that my staff is treating our guests in a way that makes them feel welcome, safe and like they want to return! Thank you again, we look forward to having you stay in the future!
Virginia
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Not a bad place. Clean. All rooms not the same, some smaller than others. No great views. It has a pool if you like that. I don't think there is much around the hotel worth staying here. If you have a car, I'd stay outside of Lock Haven in a place where their is shopping, restaurants and some evening attractions.

If you are a government person on personal travel, they will not allow you the governement rate without using a government credit card. Nothing on the website says this, in fact the site only says you need an ID (at least it did when I was there). Calling them ad asking them did not do any good either.
Also, they won't give you the AAA rate, the next best rate, if you book it under the government rate and then don't use a government credit card. Basically,I felt they were dishonest in this regard.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear FairlyWellTravelled,

We appreciate your feedback on your stay. Lock Haven, PA is certainly not known for its shopping, restaurants or night life, you are right about that however if you have business, family or any connection to Lock Haven University we think we are in a convenient location. I apologize that your government rate was not available however we do reserve that for official government travelers. As far as the AAA rate not being available to you either, I apologize for that inconvenience as this should have been granted to you with the presentation of your valid AAA member card. We in no way meant to come across as dishonest and hope you can understand our position on government rates, I have checked the "rate rules" we have posted for the goverment rate and it states that the room and tax charges must be paid for with a government issued credit card. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The winds of fate may one day blow you into Lock Haven, PA. You cannot question karma, you simply go with the flow. We recently found ourselves spending a Saturday night in this college town. Fine dining? Negative. Cool local attractions? Not unless you count the Woolrich outlet. We were there for a field hockey tournament, and had to arrive the night prior. The Fairfiled Inn was our chosen "crash pad". My expectations were low, befitting my general view on these types of cookie cutter, budget business traveller properties. But from the moment we arrived, my expectations were challenged. The desk agent (I wish I remembered his name) was helpful, smiling, professional and welcoming. He would not have been out of place at a 5 star hotel in a major city. We overheard him dealing with an unhappy caller - he as calm, courteous and offered a workable solution. I wish him luck in his futre endeavours - probably not at Fairfield/Marriott.

The hotel itself was surprisingly well-appointed. The lobby was clean, bright and comfortable. The room was modern, clean, flat-screen TV, free WiFi. Good-sized bathroom, better-than-basic-shower head, higher-end amenities. Even though our room was next to the elevator, the room as quiet and properly climate-controlled.

I won't be seeking out Fairfield Inns for future stays (on principle, I wold rather stay at a local inn or B&B), but should you find yourself in Lock Haven, you will have a good night's sleep and a decent cup of coffee at the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank purposefultravel
Dear PurposefulTravel,

We are so glad that we were able to turnaround your initial expectations of our property. Although national chains are not for everyone and I can certainly understand that, we are happy that you were comfortable in your room, our amenities exceeded your expectations and our staff welcomed you into our "home". LHU hosts many field hockey tournaments and hopefully we will have an opportunity to accomodate you in the future. Thank for your review we appreciate you taking the time to let other potential guests know what we have to offer.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were headed to a sports event at Lock Haven State. Wary of the motels at the I-80 interchange (which tend to be old and worn), we thought we'd check out the new kid on the block, Marriott's limited service Fairfield Inn, a Marriott entry we had not experienced before. This property was new in 2009.
I only know one Fairfield Inn -- this one -- but I think if you know one, you know them all. A few extra points for the work of the corporate interior design people. A point off for the mattress. A point off for our room's slight sense of odor. Perhaps it hadn't been used in a while (1st fl), perhaps some water had sat in the bathroom or been in the carpet.
The location isn't quite standard. Not on the state highway, but behind the McDonald's on the state highway. The parcel of land seems to be a land re-use project, perhaps some subsidy dollars to get it there. (The McDonald's added a strange bit of ambience: the sound of the garbage truck picking up its trash too early in the morning.)
Breakfast was at least one notch above expectations: Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits available for microwaving, (frozen) blueberries to put on top of the make-your-own waffles.
Closest motel to Lock Haven State; easily walkable if need be.
If you see the Halliburton and other natural gas-related trucks in the parking lot, you'll see both the reason for building a new motel in Lock Haven as well as the reason you're paying prices that seem steep for this part of the world.

Room Tip: Getting a room on the side of the hotel NOT on the McDonald's/Bellefonte Ave/State 150 side migh...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FormerFallser
Dear FormerFallser,

We greatly appreciate you traveling off the interstate to stay with us and see what we had to offer. We appreciate both your positive and negative feedback and the items such as the slight odor in the room that we can address, I can guarentee you that we do look into those issues and make a great effort to keep our rooms fresh and clean for all of our guests. Although we are not in a standard location we try to do our best with what we have to work with, I do however apologize for the noise you heard from McDonalds. We hope that in the future you will be with us again while attending a sporting event at LHU!
Ithaca
Reviewed January 17, 2012

we were in town for a funeral (my grandmother 104) so reservations were at the last minute Rachel (the inn manager) took care of everything for us because we did not know how many rooms we needed and went over what we had guessed at the rooms were perfect clean comfortable quiet she allowed us to use the area where breakfast is served to "hangout" it has a nice tv and fire place the rest of the staff was also very helpful and polite but i would not expect anything less being in central pa.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear daweaz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. It was our pleasure to help you and your family through a tough time when the last thing you needed to worry about were your hotel rooms. Your family was a delight the enitre length of your stay and we were happy to be here and provide the accomodations you needed. Thank you again!
West Virginia
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks on business. My king bed room was a little small but overall a very nice place to stay. Will stay here again when working in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
#2 of 2 in Mill Hall
#1 of 1 in Milesburg
Surestay Signature Collection Genetti Hotel by Best Western
Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsport

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven? Share your experiences!