“Fantastic New Years Eve”
Review of General Sutter Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lititz
General Sutter Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Lititz B&B and Inns
New Jersey, United States
“Fantastic New Years Eve”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

From the moment we checked in on New Years Eve we found the desk clerk both friendly and accommodating. Our room was very clean and I just wanted to take the bed home with us it was soooo comfortable. The hotel has lots of history that can be found around every corner. On to cocktail hour, the English pub was a blast to hang out in. We tried a couple different beers, that were all very very good. The bartenders were very attentive and never left us waiting for a beer. The people we met in the Pud were friendly and warm. Next we had the most delicious dinner we've had in a long time. Cudos to the Chef - what a terrific meal. The staff could not have been better during dinner. I would reccomend the General Sutter to all my friends and can't wait to go back. Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
Central Pa.
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I wouldn't recommend staying here. I can only speak of the second floor. They use extension cords to plug things in and there aren't enough outlets. While I was drying my hair, the outlet stopped working. I also found some old candy under our beds. The shower in our room had no water pressure and our room was cold. I realize the building is very old but I feel their website is deceiving.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank swartzj
London
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We did not stay in the hotel but the restaurant was awful. The food was passible - just, very over priced. But the waitress was terrible. It was a huge inconvenience we were there towards the end of service. The starter and main was rushed, she brought the bill after the main - no offer of dessert. They were setting up for the next day around us. Not one word or a smile the entire service, save your time and money!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Cozy, quaint and quiet. Excellent English pub attached. Great beers, ales, stouts on tap. Main restaurant for dinner was very good. Continental breakfast was fair, nothing special.

Room Tip: Visit their website. They show you prices and photos of each room. Don't expect luxury, but very...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flyingdutchmannj
Mount Arlington, Nj
Reviewed October 11, 2011

What a disappointment. My husband and I have gone to the General Sutter for our anniversary for the past 7 years, this year however will be OUR LAST!!! It was FILTHY this time as well as they have moved the pub to the front of the Inn and added table outside - so instead of sleeping my husband and I were subjected to screaming and yelling until midnight as well as cigarette smoke coming into our window. The next morning the sidewalk was covered in cigarette butts from the night before. We used to enjoy staying here because it is pet friendly and we travel with our dog, there is a $15.00 per night pet fee, not sure what for since the room was obviously not cleaned from the last dog that stayed in room 212 before us. A pet fee usually covers the extra cleaning of the room after a pet has stayed in the room, this room was not cleaned since the last dog stayed in the room. The information packed in the room clearly stated that dogs were not allowed on the duvet cover on the bed, well the oil stain and dog hair from the last dog were still on the duvet of the bed. Disgusting. I had spilled some water on the bathroom floor and when I wiped it up the paper towel I used came up black - I have no idea when the last time the bathroom floor was cleaned - it was filthy, the rug in the main room was filthy gross, I don't think whoever cleans(I use that term lightly) knows how to run a vacuum, you could feel the grit on the rug when you walked on it. The same dried up leaf was on the bathroom floor the entire 3 days we stayed. at the Inn, needless to say we will never return to the general Sutter Inn, we will stay at a Holiday Inn instead

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kimberly B
Southampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Hotel C-
Restaurant B
Bar A+

Wife and I visited Litiz a few months ago and had brunch with friends at the hotel dining room. It was such a pleasant experience we planned to return for overnight stay. We travel a lot, first class and regular, so, I try to make allowances for realities of Hotel stays and suspicious of strongly negative reviews, but have to agree with other comments - the hotel really needs a makeover.

Pluses:
Restaurant: Service is very good, but selections vary from great to terrible. Avoid the vegetable soup - thin and salty, but the tomato bisque is fine; Ceasar salad pretty good, too and the duck was great; but avoid the Wagu steak - an overpriced mess.
Hotel: Centrally located on main shopping street. Rooms are quite large and quiet . The staff was generally pleasant and the TV worked.

Negatives: Shabby, shabby, shabby.
On their web site, all the rooms look really gorgeous. The reality, as so often, ours (#310) was not. We looked into another room (a 3 bedroom suite) on same floor and saw much the same: nice large rooms, tired decor and long past-due for upgrade. Don't know if rooms on other floors are better, but 3rd floor definitely below par.

"Library" on the 2nd floor is nothing more than small room with limited seating and a bunch of books apparently bought at Goodwill or a flea market sale, plus an antique radio(?) "for show"

We had a king size bed with decorated/painted headboard that must have been something when it was new, but now it's faded and cracked and the mattress is not particularly comfortable - it heaved and rolled whenever either I or my partner moved, got up or back in.

Quite surprised that there was no sink in bathroom, just a stall shower - - - there's a washstand clear across the other side of the bedroom with no shelf space anywhere (even in bathroom) for personal stuff like toothbrush or razor and the bathroom tile is crackled. Perhaps worst, there's a 1 -2 inch raised "sill" on floor between bathroom and bedroom, neither marked or colored to call attention and a real menace in the dark - a lawsuit waiting to happen.

We really didn't like the unsightly large (approx 48 inch diameter) stain on the ceiling over the bed - whether from leak or repair could not tell - but looks like it was done a while ago and no one got around to painting it.

A singular lack of amenities: no telephone (!) tissues, pen or pad, which is OK I suppose, because there was no writing desk either. The advertised WIFI was inoperable: first it could not be found on a scan, then after being found, could not be accessed. The advertised "breakfast included" is a continental breakfast - not even up to chain motel standards: just coffee, cold cereal, breads and danish - lots of tea bags, but no hot water - we were told we should ask a server, but none are in sight (try the kitchen/we did).

Luckily not a problem for us, but people with handicaps should avoid "upstairs" accommodations; no elevator, - or bell person assistance (none offered or available as far as we could tell).

And the last straw: lots of flies in the bar, restaurant and elsewhere. I got several bug bites at night. don't know what kind, but I found it necessary to shower thoroughly when I got home - and fumigate our suitcases

All in all, not a good experience.

Room Tip: avoid 3rd floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Inn was comfortable and centrally located within the town. Once settled in, one could walk to most shops and visit the beautiful town park. The one problem was the water. After 5 Pm there was no hot water until morning. Apparently, the kitchen uses all the hot water for dishes and cleaning up and none is left for the guests. If you want hot water to clean up before retiring, you must go to the front desk and request a pitcher of hot water. This seems to be especially true on weekends when the restaurant is busy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face main street
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wrld_tvler61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lititz
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites/Lititz
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#6 of 39 in Lancaster
Hilton Garden Inn Lancaster

Been to General Sutter Inn? Share your experiences!