“Touristy but interesting stop...”

Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Lititz
More attraction details
Owner description: The Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery, established in 1861, is the first commercial pretzel bakery in America. As of August 2007, the site is under new ownership. The bakery and store have been completely renovated and are now operated once again by the Sturgis family. Visitors can tour the original pretzel bakery, see soft pretzels being made by hand, and find pretzels baked by the oldest pretzel baking family in the United States.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you are in or around Litiz, I would recommend a visit to the pretzel bakery. They don't make any pretzels on-site other than soft pretzels which are sold in the gift shop but you can buy hard pretzels in the gift shop which are made at their normal production factory. They have a 30 minute "tour" which includes making a pretzel, a short history of the pretzel, as well as an introduction into how Julius Sturgis produced hard pretzels at this location. I would recommend the tour if you stop because it is interesting.

2  Thank zbidwell

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was glad we took time to stop in this little museum of Litiz. Our tour guide was Dutch and very helpful. We practiced making our own pretzels. Although they were not baked and we could not take them, it was a lot of fun.

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on our way to Lancaster and had a great time. Staff is kind and informative. The tour was short but interesting providing a history of pretzels and the bakery. Stop hear for a good local place and some delicious pretzels both soft and hard.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Having moved here from Iowa over a decade ago we made several obligatory trips with visiting family to the "Pretzel house". The tour, as I remember it, back then was rather lame. The one I took today with my Japanese exchange student daughter and her classmates and their teacher was full of information and fun. Our guide, Della, was very pleasant and really knew her history of the pretzel, the house and the business located there.

If you, like me, had stopped taking family and friends there because it wasn't worth it, give it another try. I especially loved the reference and demonstration of the "first gym" in Lititz. My head is still grappling with the temperatures our guide said the room reached while pretzels were baking back in the day.

Thanks to "Venture Lititz" and the owners for keeping this history and tradition alive in Lititz!!

1  Thank Mona G
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The tour is rather short, inexpensive, interesting and a fun way to learn some new things about pretzels. I didn't care very much for the soft pretzel myself, but I loved getting to learn how to roll a pretzel, and getting a certificate.