“Loved this tour!”

Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Lititz
More attraction details
Owner description: The Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery, established in 1861, is the first commercial pretzel bakery in America. As of August 2007, the site is under new ownership. The bakery and store have been completely renovated and are now operated once again by the Sturgis family. Visitors can tour the original pretzel bakery, see soft pretzels being made by hand, and find pretzels baked by the oldest pretzel baking family in the United States.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I took this tour and it was lovely. We made pretzels and learned a ton about how the first hard pretzel was made. Our tour guide was really informative and did a great job with kids. Julius Sturgis was quite the inventor. Don't miss this one!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

LOTS of fun for children & adults. So glad we went. I enjoyed taking photos, learning the history of the hard pretzel & I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Hope to take grandchildren in a year or two--when they're old enough to understand better.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

During my first foray into Pennsylvania Dutch Country on Christmas Eve, my parents decided going to a pretzel factory was an excellent idea. Since Lancaster County has lots of Germans, pretzels came with them. My mother took me on the small tour while my dad said "I have seen it; I will wait out here for you." I learned many previously unbeknownst to me facts about pretzels. Hard pretzels came about as an accident. This makes a great deal of sense since I prefer a soft pretzel. This place has been making pretzels since 1861 if I remember the date right. I might be off by a year or two but Julius Sturgis has been making pretzels since the U.S. Civil War. They still make large production pretzels in a nearby town on modern equipment and have them for sale in the lobby along with pretzel paraphenalia. The soft pretzels were exquisite. If i LItitiz, be sure to go on a tour for a small fee. I think it was 3 dollars. In the future, I would stop back just to buy a soft pretzel since I love soft pretzels so much.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery is in the heart of "The Coolest Small Town in America!" The tour was only $3 per adult and it was very informative and interesting. I had no idea that pretzels were originally shaped into the pose of a child praying. We got to twist our own pretzels (but not eat them :( The tour lasted 1/2 an hour and was worth the $3. There is a tiny gift shop and you can purchase fresh, hot pretzels!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The pretzel tour was good. Learn to roll and form a pretzel, history of the hard pretzel, etc. You get to see the old ovens which I found interesting. After the tour you can pick up bags of hard pretzels which are very good. We did all of that on our first visit. By far the best thing you can buy and the one that brings us back, are the Tom Sturgis Dark Choc Vanilla Caramel Topped Little Ones. They are an amazing treat! I do believe they are my favorite chocolate ever.

1  Thank 44AML