“The Campbell House”

Ranked #3 of 4 Ligonier B&B and Inns
Donora, Pennsylvania
“The Campbell House”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Campbell House on Nov 30 and Dec 1. Patti thinks of everything, if we needed something it was as if it magically appeared. The Campbell House is spotless. We both have allergies and asthma but no worries when staying here, everything is fresh and clean. Breakfast is amazing! The whole weekend felt as if we stepped into a Christmas movie. It was wonderful!!
Shawna and Lexi

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dolche Suite, but I stayed in the Main Stay previously and both are wonderful. If y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shawna G
myplace93, Owner at Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
It was a pleasure having you and your daughter as guests! What a pleasure both of you were. Come back soon. Happy New Years from my home to yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Owner was unfriendy. She Got mad I used on of the blankets because I was cold . She made us feel we were taking
up her time because she wanted to get to a football party. I'm sure she will have a reason for her lack of hospitality ( as she does for all her bad reviews) rather than realizing she needs to made some serious adjustments in her business ethics

• Stayed December 2012
17 Thank clarabellero
myplace93, Owner at Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I think the reason you are unhappy stems from the fact that the first date you booked in November you were a "no show" that included a penalty... you then rebooked in December. Based on that event I was happy your husband called to confirm prior . I asked about your estimated time of arrival which he indicated would be between 2 and 3 PM however you did not arrive until a few minutes to 5 PM. Yes I had plans later that evening to attend a Christmas Gala, but I didn't hurry you despite the later than expected check-in. I swiped your credit card at 5:02 PM, discussed restaurant suggestions, you selected 9:30 for your breakfast to be served in your suite.
I then gave you to directions to your suite, where I met you and asked you to remove your shoes (which is posted on the suite door) You indicated your dislike about having to remove your shoes, (your confirmation indicated to bring your slippers) I detected an attitude from then on while giving you a tour of the suite, dressing room and bathroom (which your husband showed no interest in). I said good morning when I brought your breakfast, and felt a hostile environment. Since there were throws for guest convenience out I did ask about the throw as that one had been stored away... Trust me I was never mad, No excuses from me...because your take on toast is surprising. If you remember I asked prior about your breakfast beverage choice which is coffee for him and tea for you, and neither of you have food restrictions. I don't remember what I served you for breakfast, but I do know any reference to a hotel would have been in the context of "A bed and breakfast is not like a hotel restaurant" I have said that many times to guests concerning limited food or beverage available in a small property. Infact I stayed at a B&B where I was told I had two choices for breakfast, eat it or not. In closing, I thank you for your review as it gave me an opportunity to address a visit that I was not happy with. I felt like I was being punished for the No Show incident.
Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently concluded a weekend "getaway" in the Laurel Highlands. While I did not venture to far from home, I could not have found a better location to stay than the Campbell House Bed and Breakfast in Ligonier. Upon my arrival, I was immediately greeted by the innkeeper, Patti - a very friendly individual who never stopped trying to make sure I felt welcome and at home. I found my room to be very accommodating, comfortable and private. I was also very impressed with the Breakfast provided during my stay. Patti again went above and beyond in all she did and it was demonstrated by the food and drink selection provided. I cannot say enough postive things about the Campbell House Bed and Breakfast - if you are looking for a top-notch facility look no further!

1 Thank Chris688
Pattistillthe1, Owner at Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and complimentary comments. Come back soon! Patti
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the Campbell House B&B... I truely enjoyed my time here. I stayed in the Dolcetta Suite and it was splendidly decorated and it had its own private entrance. The innkeeper Patti thought of everything for my stay, including tea and water in the fridge AND snacks on the counter for those late night munchies. My room included a full kitchen, living room area with a cozy fireplace, spacious bathroom and very comfy bed. I'm a food snob and have stayed at several B&B's and by far my favorite thing about Campbell House B&B was the breakfast! Everything was so flavorful and fresh- just incredible. Also, the location can't be beat, a few steps out the door and your in the heart of Ligonier- with all it's shops and cafes. It was also a great central location for my day trips around the beautiful Laurel Highlands. I loved my stay here and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: For more privacy, stay in the Dolcetta Suite since it has it's own private entrance right off th...
1 Thank Mollie P
Pattistillthe1, Owner at Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Dolcetto Suite, (my personal favorite) and to Ligonier. You have no idea how much I appreciate your praise as well as complimentary comments on the extras.
I look forward to your next visit.
Patti
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband planned a surprise getaway for me and my 3 closest friends. It was fabulous from start to finish! Campbell House is meticulous. Antiques adorned every corner and punctuated the experience with interest and ambience. It was comfortable and clean, warm and inviting.
Patti Campbell, the Inkeeper, engaged us with stories and anecdotes and directed us to Ligonier's must-sees. It was an unforgettable celebration and a sensational stay.
Connie W.

1 Thank Constance W
Pattistillthe1, Owner at Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
I am thrilled to play a part in your surprise 60th birthday girls getaway! When your husband called to book rooms for your friends and you for a surprise birthday getaway...I thought what a wonderful gift and a wonderful guy. I couldn't wait to meet you the lucky 60 year old.

You and your friends were such a joy and that birthday cake-wow it was so gooooooood!
Thanks for sharing with me.

You all had such fun here and at the restaurant (the staff informed me of how much they enjoyed your group)

Being part of such a happy, fun group makes all the hard work worth it. Happy 60th! Come back soon!
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 2, 2012

For the past eight years, my husband and I have spent our anniversary weekend at the Campbell House Bed and Breakfast, in the Campbell Suite. We love the warm and welcoming environment and we always look forward to seeing Patti Campbell, the Innkeeper, who has become a friend. It has become our favorite weekend of the year. Patti makes it so personal and her attention to detail is exceptional. She is also a wonderful cook, with delicious and creative breakfasts. When we return each year, we feel like we are coming back to our second home.
Ed and Diane Cordisco

Room Tip: We always stay in the Campbell Suite, so I can not advise about other rooms, but I am sure that they...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane C
I look forward to your anniversary visit each December! Always a pleasure to see you...where did 8 years go? I am delighted when I see your empty breakfast plates and smiles on your faces. So far my creative breakfast have been a hit.
Wishing you a happy, healthy, 32nd year!
See you in December
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Let's start with the beginning...when the innkeeper replied to my reservation request via email, she specifically asked what my wife and I would like to drink with breakfast. I replied that my wife drinks tea, I prefer Dr Pepper. The innkeeper's reply? "Feel free to bring soda with you." Weird...here I thought she was asking because she actually planned to make some attempt to accommodate requests. I mean, why ask, otherwise?

We arrived at the inn around 430pm. The front door was locked and there were instructions to find a cordless phone in a box near the front door and a number to dial, which we did. No problem...lots of people operate B&B's but don't actually reside on the premises. The innkeeper answered and when my wife told her our name and that we were here to check in, she replied, "Hold on." I watched as my wife held the phone to her ear, obviously anticipating further instruction. After a bit, I heard the sound of a phone that wants to be hung up...obviously the innkeeper had ended the call. A few seconds later, the door was opened by a man who let us in and walked away without saying anything. We glanced at each other, then followed him.

Coming into what appeared to be a dining room, we were greeted by a very harsh voice that said, "PLEASE stay back until I'm through with these guests!" Startled, we saw a woman standing behind a front desk window, dealing with two people...one of whom was the man who let us in, another guest, apparently. My wife and I backed up quickly, and then watched as the woman finished checking in this couple, after which she took them upstairs to their room and came back down.

When she arrived, she walked back behind the front desk and said, pointing, "Can you please take that bag off there?!" I looked...we'd been shopping in Ligonier prior to our arrival and she was referring to a small bag of souveniers I'd laid on top of the hutch while we were waiting. I removed it and waited for her to signal me that it was now okay to approach the desk.

As we proceeded through the check-in process, the innkeeper asked me if I'd brought my Dr Pepper. When I said I hadn't, she asked why. I told her I'd been so nonplussed by her original reply, I'd decided not to. "Why is that?" she asked. Having asked an honest question, I gave her an honest answer, and stated what I mentioned in this review earlier. "Huh," she said, and moved to the next topic.

The rest of the check-in went uneventfully, and, after pointing out some wine on a sideboard which of we were free to partake, she took us upstairs to our room. A bit later, I came back down to pour a couple glasses of the aforementioned wine to take upstairs. As I was picking up the bottle and a glass, the innkeeper came to her window and told me she had something for me. She was holding out a receipt for our credit transaction, so I walked toward her with the bottle and glass, but she quickly said, "Open that over there!" I refrained from any bottle opening until I had snagged my receipt and attained my position back by the sideboard. Of course I managed to spill a little bit during the pour...she quickly pointed out the location of the napkins nearby.

The night went uneventfully. Our bed was comfortable and the room clean. The room was quite hot and the window didn't open, but there was a fan, so that helped some. We arose in the morning, showered, packed up and headed down for breakfast. When we arrived, the couple from last night were already sitting at the dining room table, looking uncomfortable. We greeted them and headed toward the other end of the room (which was about 18-ft long). The innkeeper, who'd been in the area behind the front desk, cooking, appeared. My wife had stopped by a basket of various teas and was about to choose one when the innkeeper said, "PLEASE sit down over there and I'll bring you your tea. And don't walk that way (she indicated the shortest distance between my wife's current location and our seats)...walk THIS way." (she indicated that we weren't to walk near the other couple's seats...we should actually EXIT the dining room entirely by one door, walk through the hallway and come back into the dining room by the door closer to our chairs. Apparently her guests are not supposed to be too close to each other.

My wife and I sat down, and another couple arrived and sat down, making six of us. The innkeeper went back into the kitchen area, and everyone sat there looking at each other. The level of tension and discomfort in the room was thick enough to walk on. Some whispered comments between us ascertained that everyone had been treated this way. It would have been comical if it wasn't so....strange. The innkeeper came out and informed us that we'd be fed in the order that we'd arrived in the dining room. At this point I decided I'd had enough. It was time to cut and run...the money had already been spent, I'll be damned if I was going to sit there like I was in high school detention for the next hour. I indicated to my wife that I wanted to head out. We grabbed the rest of our baggage in our room and I handed the seemingly unsurprised innkeeper the room keys and told her we'd changed our mind about breakfast, and we high-tailed it for the car!

For reference: my wife and I are seasoned travelers, both nationally and internationally. We are respectful of other people's property and never trash a hotel room. Heck, my wife often tries to clean up before we leave, and always leaves a tip for the maid!

Room Tip: A nice B&B...if you can deal with the Mother Bates innkeeper!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank David T
David,

Thank you for bringing to my attention that the floor of each room was not indicated on my web-site room discription. I made the necessary changes after you indicated you weren't sure which floor Floral Boarder was on while I noted your preference for second floor.

I am sorry you were not happy with your visit, As a single innkeeper, I take great pride in Campbell House where I strive to offer old-fashioned charm and an enjoyable getaway. It seems in your case I fell short in many areas. I hope you will give Campbell House an opportunity to give you and Polly an enjoyable experience, therefore; I am offering you a complimentary one night stay for a future visit.

The 22nd Annual Ice Fest is January 26 and 27...a perfect time to visit the Laurel Highlands or another date of your choice.
This offer is good for the Floral Boarder King Guest room through June 1, 2013.

I look forward to seeing you again!

Patti Campbell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ligonier
Ramada Ligonier
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe
Hampton Inn Greensburg
Hampton Inn Greensburg
#1 of 10 in Greensburg

Been to Campbell House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!