“Great name, not so great food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hooversville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great name, not so great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My friend and I are always looking for good little restaurants for lunch and we opted to try Brasserie. It was a gorgeous autumn day in early October, so we should have gotten a clue when we were the only people in the place for lunch except two other women. The soup was not hot, and we waited far too long for our lunches, given the lightness of trade. We won't go back there again, but the charming streets offered interesting browsing. We'll just have to eat elsewhere. Somebody said The Kitchen is good!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank LindaDeLia

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

A few weeks ago my wife and I had an exceptionally fine evening at Du Soleil. Everything was first rate. We were greeted by a cheerful server upon entrance and led to a vacant table by the fireplace. The dining room had an interesting feel to it. I guess that the building used to be a large house at one point and had been renovated into a restaurant. It's currently painted a deep red and has a couple cool paintings up. Over all, the impression was very relaxing.

I enjoyed a draft beer while waiting for the scallop appetizer. They have Penn beers which I hadn't tried before but found to be tasty. The scallops were cooked beautifully. The texture of the outside mixed with the sauce made a truly delicious combination.

For dinner I ordered the steak with the blue cheese sauce and ate part of my wife's lobster while she was in the bathroom. My steak was juicy as hell and had a real strong beefy flavor to it. The blue cheese sauce was unbelievably good. Thinking about that sweet and creamy blue cheese sauce right now is making my stomach churn with desire. The big portion of mashed potatoes (they had a fancier name on the menu but it turned out to just be mashed potatoes) was surprisingly good too.

Absolutely great dinner. My wife loved it too and she's usually hard to please. We'll be back as soon as we can!

• Visited February 2013
Cumberland, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely authentic French restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

A midweek, snowy evening dinner at this very enjoyable restaurant was everything we could have hoped, well worth the 1hr15min drive. Each dish was flavorful without being heavy. A very generous plate of mussels was served in a light creamy broth with a touch of wine, accompanied by melt in the mouth fries. The excellent mushroom soup (which had recently won a local restaurant taste off) was brothy, not creamy. Our entrees were equally appealing, and were accompanied by perfectly prepared vegetables. Service was first rate; friendly and personal and efficient without being pushy. The crepe suzette was delectable, the cup of rich French Roast coffee huge. (Why can't more restaurants manage to serve a great cup of coffee like Du Soleil's?) We are already planning our return.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Terry B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“We'll Go Back Again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

'Wanting to try this place, we had lunch here today...the stores were not yet open (noon) so lunch filled the time nicely. The place is decorated in a lovely style, with a gas fired fireplace and splendid modern art on the walls and jazzy good music. I must comment on the beautiful ceiling in the restroom (I do notice these things!)...it is a beautiful fabric-swatched casbah effect of a ceiling-tres jolie! The server was very friendly and the menu has a nice selection of various items...as the day was cold, ordered coffee and it came in big roundish steaming mugs...ahhh...ordered the Alpine mushroom soup and egg salad on a baguette while hubby ordered the filet burger with fries...my soup was quite good...simple broth (not the creamy mushroom but that was stipulated before ordering) with a lot of mushrooms made for a tasty prelude. Next came a salad of baby greens which was rather plain..it has lettuces, a cherry tomato and dried cranberries and grated carrot. I could taste the carrot-from-the-bag taste and dont like it...you know, that taste of salad from the bag. I would grate a few fresh carrots and keep them in a baggie to use on salads rather than bagged grated carrot. My entre came but it was not the egg salad on baguette but rather a piece of chicken on a bed of fries with the au jus on it. I guess the waitress got mixed up with my order and offered to get me something else but also said they were out of the egg salad- so not wanting to wait more, I kept this meal. It was a nice piece of baked chicken and fries but I was not in the mood for fries so we took these home. Hubby's burger was very good he stated -it came on bread instead of advertised bun but he enjoyed it very much. I will go back again to try their dinner and also must try the crepes which sounded lovely. A very nice way to help spend an early afternoon today!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Elcie
“A culinary treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Our ladies group selected Brasserie du Soliel for our February dinner. We could not have been more pleased. Each of us ordered different entrees and every one of us was completely thrilled with our selection. Service was excellent, portions were generous, prices were very reasonable, and the atmosphere was charming. The signature dessert - a strawberry and chocolate crepe - was the perfect finish. Halfway through our meal we unanimously decided our group would be returning soon. We would happily recommend this excellent restaurant to anyone who enjoys fine dining.

1 Thank M1V