“Not Authentic”

Dining options: Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not Authentic”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I went to this restaurant tonight, expecting an authentic Hungarian meal. My mother, aunt, uncle, are GREAT cooks, praised for their talents in Hungary. I came to the states at age 14 and also enjoy cooking, I had great teachers. I regularly travel back to learn, to improve my skills. Well, this place was a great disappointment. The place is dark, bland, no athmospere, tacky plastic flowers on the tables. The hospitality they tout on their website was nowhere to be found; it was non existent. The food...horrible. The soup they started us with was tasteless. I purposefully ordered very mainstream dishes, the csirke paprikas and the lecsos csirke; the sauce in the paprikas was awful, consistency, color, taste, everything was off. They offered it with mashed potatoes??! The lecsos chicken tasted like pizza; it also had a huge amount of cheese on it, which is not authentic. The only thing that tasted close to real is the shreaded pickled beat salad. I'm sorry to say we are not going back. And I'm sorry to see that food they are cooking is passed as "authentic". Do NOT bother.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank mkm9081

K_Turner217
“Such delicious food!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I came to this restaurant with my family, everyone ordered something different. We all tried each others food, all of it was absolutely delicious. The owner is so nice, the service was great. It's a quiet little place that can be tricky to find. If I knew how I would send the information of this place to Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, it is definitely worthy. Stop here if you get the chance!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank K_Turner217
Closter, New Jersey
“Hungarian Gem”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great value. Really enjoyed the down home, casual atmosphere. Interesting menu selections. Friendly, helpful service.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank jcoop1054
Johnstown, PA
“Wonderful every time!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Enjoyed a nice Sunday drive to Westmoreland Mall and ended up at one of our favorite eating spots--Darlington Inn! The food is delicious and made from scratch. Nothing like homemade Hungarian cuisine to make you smile. My pork cutlets were piping hot, delicately breaded and lightly fried. Served with a big portion of spaetzle dumplings, and mixed veggies. Fresh homemade bread and a bowl of homemade bean soup to start. Hubby had smothered chicken livers with REAL mashed potatoes and veggies. Ask for a dish of the paprikas gravy for your spaetzle--yum! Take a trip and try it--you will not be disappointed!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank bassetmomma
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“A little slice of Europe”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Six of us stopped in after an afternoon matinee at Jennerstown.
We got there at four, and there were people waiting in the parking log. A good sign, wouldn't you say? We were prompty seated, and a bowl of piping hot chicken soup appeared with a basket of fresh warm bread and you could smell the yeast. It was devored in seconds. We all had a hard time selecting, but everyone was happy with their choices. It went from Chicken Paprikosh, to Transylvania Stew, to Hungarian Goulash, to Chicken Palichinki. The stervings were large, the food was hot, and while we were eating, you could hear a pin drop. We were all so focused on our wonderful experience. Thank you Darlington Inn

Visited July 2012