“Dusty, & cobwebs everywhere - very disappointing”

Colonial House on Main Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Ligonier B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Dusty, & cobwebs everywhere - very disappointing”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed for four nights. I walked up the steps to the front porch and saw that the porch had not even been swept, and dusted for my arrival. Later, when I turned a lamp on my hand was covered with cobwebs under the lamp shade. Inside, I found cobwebs in every window sill, top and bottom (and at the fireplace). A poor attempt to dust the wood slats blinds may have been made, but I can't be sure. The bath room lighting was grossly inadequate, without raising the window shade, which I did not want to do because I would have been in full view when getting out of the shower. My breakfast tray was left in the lobby for over 24 hours, which revealed that the owner had little interest in serving her guest. I had to ask for toilet paper because my host never asked if I needed anything. I was the only person in the C.H., but the B&B a few blocks away was full. (I checked because I was going to leave). The C.H. charges way too much for the accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Katina K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ashland, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We recently stayed at the Colonial House and were excited based on the reviews. However, we were disappointed with several aspects. We stayed in one of the 2nd floor rooms. The room was mostly clean but badly in need of a good dusting. We had our own bath next door but the floor was not clean and had hair and dirt. Also the bathroom is in need of a painting if not an upgrade. I would suggest that it makes sense to provide sample size toiletries and then remove them if they're not completely used by the previous guests. There were used toiletries and family size versions that had been used by previous guests left in the bathroom but nothing that I would use. Although they provided a pitcher of water in the room, I would suggest that providing 2 bottles of water would be much appreciated by guests. In the morning, my husband was going to make coffee in the coffee maker but there was old water in the bottom of the coffee maker so he went down to the local gas station. We would not go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jostlmom
Manchester England
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I spent four days at the Colonial Inn over the Memorial day weekend. The Inn is a detached house built in 1906 which retains many of its original features. We stayed in the ground floor suite which comprised a large living room with Tv etc, accessed through a pocket door from the hall. Another pocket door lead into a large bedroom with a huge and comfy bed and through the bedroom was a separate washroom with shower/toilet. In addition to the usual toiletries there were lots of things you'd find in your own home which engendered a much more homely feel than a sterile hotel room. The innkeeper Dawn is very helpful and nothing we asked was too much trouble. Breakfasts are her strong suite and she cooks some unique dishes at a time to suit you. We didn't require much for lunch after her breakfasts. Parking is no problem with side street parking always available. The Inn is about 3 blocks from the bandstand in the centre of Ligonier, and whilst on the Main street is a lovely quiet spot, just far enough away from the centre. Ligonier is in a picturesque area of the Laurel Highlands, with good restaurants within walking distance, not to mention the Fort and the Farmer's market. I would recommend the Colonial Inn without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lanky01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ligonier
Ramada Ligonier
Foggy Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Stahlstown
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe
Campbell House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Colonial House on Main Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!