“Valentines disappointment”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Valentines disappointment”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'll try to cut to the chase here. My wife and I ate here with another couple on 2/15/2013. There was an insert in the menu for a Valentines Day Special for $50.00 that stated "dessert for two" as one of it's features, implying that this was a holiday special full course dinner for 2. No where on this insert did it say per person. All 4 of us sitting at the table thought it was a dinner for 2 for $50. We are all business professionals and would like to think we're not stupid. Then surprise, we get the bill and it was per person!!

The food was good but not "that" great. The portions were small and I've had better food at Ruby Tuesday's and Applebee's for a lot less. My wife and I were so upset that I actually went back in to talk to the manager. I explained that the menu insert was misleading and confusing and she said it stated "per person." So I asked her to show me where it said that because I didn't see it. She left for longer than a minute and didn't come back. So I went to look for her and found the insert and it didn't say "per person." Her comment was "well it said it in the news paper" to which I said "I am from out of town and don't read your local newspaper."

The sad thing here is all she had to do was sincerely apologize. At the very least give us some false promise that she'd change the insert to be more clear and then offer to refund us for our drinks, a whole $8.00 (2 beers) and admitted it was vague. Instead she accused me of haggling her and trying to get a free meal! Then walked away from me and said "I'm done talking to you and I'm not giving you any money back."

Now that I've had this experience I might as well also mention this. They call this place fine dinning, well they have plastic table clothes, old metal banquet chairs, the servers wear T-shirts with some stupid saying on the back about "getting a lil" something of who knows what. The salad dressing came out in a plastic cup, the decor is of the 1970's. The silverware is generic regular bar type crap, and the rest rooms were dated and a little dirty. I have to agree with another review who stated the place looked like an old Holiday Inn inside.

On the drive home I told my wife that I had that same feeling you get after you figured out someone stole your wallet or realizing you got scammed. We have 2 young children and only get out once every 2 months at the most. It was upsetting that first time we'd been out together in a while ended up like this. The kick in the face was, the only reason we went there was to see one of our favorite bands, the Frank Wicher Band, play. We only ate dinner because it seemed convenient. Never, ever, again. Frank Wicher was awesome by the way.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank DaveWhit91

“A disappointing evolution”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had standing reservations here for more than thirty years, and persisted through several management changes, but current management is a disaster. We finally quit when the bar was out of oranges, for Pete's sake, for two weeks in a row. I mean, how difficult would it be to run out to the grocery store for a couple of oranges? This was symptomatic of a bigger problem with not caring about running a good establishment. Wait staff, eho were personable and trying hard, was never consulted about what the diners were saying, and menus became limited and much more expensive when it was a special weekend at Bucknell. The food items we most enjoyed were eliminated, and the nice feature of "lighter side" or smaller servings was eliminated. We still go out to dinner every week, but not here.

• Visited February 2012
4 Thank Dracaena
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
“Not worth seeking out”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This restaurant is tucked just off of the main street. They have re-done their bar area to make it larger and have added a nice selection of beers.
To eat here, though, is not recommended. The place is a ghost town, with one person running the bar and tables, and typically less than 3 patrons during dinner hours. They are out of many things, and I have never been there when they weren't out of something we ordered. The prices and food are just okay, but it is typical fare for the area (Vic's pub, the Hotel, Bull Run Inn) and has nothing unique to offer.
I honestly can't understand how they stay in business. The place needs a facelift and a new focus.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank antiquity1
Houston, TX
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I always stop by the Temperance House when in the Lewisburg area on business. The food is always good and the service is wonderful

Visited February 2012
Southport, North Carolina
“A great place to eat”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We ate here on one of our trips to visit our daughter ove valentines day and really enjoyed the food. The steak and lobster tail was yummy!

Visited February 2011