“Far From Perfect”

The Inn at Leola Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leola
Reviewed July 2, 2013

1. We are a family of 5 and we went for a wedding. I was honest when I made my reservation and said "five." I was told I could not have a standard double and needed to upgrade to a deluxe. It cost much more. But when I arrived at the room, it still only slept 4--two double beds. It did have a sitting area but no extra sleeping space for a 5th person. My son slept on 2 arm chairs pushed together. I asked for a cot. They don't have any. I don't know why I was forced into a more expensive room without any added advantage.

2. The AC did not work well. It wasn't awful, but the temp did spike to almost 80 during the day.

3. My room was fine, but my mother's room and my brother's room had ants.

4. The breakfast was nice, but the food was too "fancy" for my children. Stuffed french toast, egg strata (which they ran out of), fruit, and doughnuts. (The kids did like the doughnuts.) Coffee was good.

5. Again, we were there for a wedding and a very unfortunate event happened that required the police. The couple's wedding cards were stolen. The Inn at Leola Village apparently has no surveillance. This is troublesome.

6. And again, we are a family of five and housekeeping did not refresh the shampoo or soaps. I'll admit, I didn't call down for more but I do expect this to be an automatic thing.

7. The bar and restaurant are very expensive. Almost $17 for 1 glass of wine and 3 sodas.

8. This is a wedding establishment. The week end we were there has 4 weddings in 3 days. Lots of partying and drinking. It's great to have some place to stay the night of the wedding but I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay there if they did not have too.

9. If you are considering a wedding at this venue, please do your research. It's truly beautiful but there are numerous complaints out there. This couple lost hundreds of dollars in the theft, they had 1 bartender for 150 people, they ran out of food. Just do your research and get everything in writing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shbam04
Ozzie67, General Manager at The Inn at Leola Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear shbam04,

We realize that TripAdvisor has become the platform for both positive and negative reviews of hotels, restaurants and other facilities worldwide. We also recognize when we provided exceptional service and unfortunately in some situations; we could have done better.
So for any missteps in our service or offerings that you feel were less than stellar, we certainly apologize. We can always improve and appreciate some of the comments you posted.
However, there are several items in your review that should be addressed. So, with this said, let’s set the record straight with facts and details.

1.Four guests are the maximum allowed in any room at our hotel. Thus, to properly accommodate 5 guests, 2 rooms should have been secured.

2.We agree that our complimentary breakfast may not be a favorite for young children. In fact we state on our website that the Inn is not suitable for young children, mainly due to our historic nature, but also due to our culinary offerings.

3.In regard to our wine and soda prices, we are sorry that you felt $17 was expensive. We feel otherwise, especially given the quality wine presented, fine glassware served and the size of the sodas provided.

4.We did not run out of food. The fact is that service stations are constantly being refreshed and replenished, so while chaffing dishes and platters may have been temporarily unavailable; we never, ever ran out of food.

5.As for the unfortunate situation at the wedding reception, this is tragic indeed. However, our contract clearly addresses all parties’ responsibilities. The Inn at Leola Village fulfilled our contractual obligations and we are working to help the bride and groom on this matter.

We value all reviews on TripAdvisor and the importance of our ability to properly respond and address each comment. We learn and improve every day, and we thank our critics for this important feedback.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Leola Village

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Inn. The property is gorgeous! The staff are amazing and went out of their way to make our visit special! The room was perfect! The venue would be perfect for a wedding, wish I had known about the place when I got married!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We came here for a wedding, and although we were here in the beginning of the summer, you would expect the property to be ready for the group.

Biggest problem was the AC was broken in the main building, so none of the sleeping rooms had cool air...with 95+ deg heat, it was a disaster for the wedding party. The front desk offered to place fans in individual rooms until the problem could be fixed, but despite 3 calls to the front desk, we never received ours. It was bad enough that we left at 11pm and found a motel not too far away that had cool rooms for us to sleep in.

A little on the smaller side, the large barn is a unique interior to have a smaller wedding (think around 100 people), the food is average and what you'd expect for a wedding hall, it's not somewhere I'd return to for dinner on my own.

The staff was really unhelpful and although smiled nice at you, they were empty smiles with no service behind it.

Room Tip: You're better off driving back down the interstate and finding a real hotel to stay at.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Ozzie67, General Manager at The Inn at Leola Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

RonH

I apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. The particular weekend that you booked at our hotel we did have our A/C malfunction in the building that you stayed in, however the unique nature of Leola Village with all of our different buildings throughout the property we would have been able to offer you a different room for this unfortunate inconvenience had we known you were contemplating checking out.

I understand your frustration. Since your stay the matter has been dealt with and the A/C was repaired promptly. Please understand we do everything in our power to act on all guest concerns as quickly as possible and our front desk worked very hard to accommodate all guests that evening. If you are in the area again I would welcome you to stay again to show you why we are a Four Diamond Hotel. This acknowledgement is bestowed upon us by AAA because of our unparalleled service and facility .

Thank you for using tripadvisor.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was expecting more to be honest.

The location was ordinary, the room was noisy - from the bar and function rooms below, and from the neighbors - the breakfast was very disappointing and the service was poor.

We dined in the casual restaurant on the Saturday evening. Service was awful - I don't think the server could have remembered his own name, never mind my glass of water or wine. That was dinner. Breakfast on Sunday was no better; we weren't even told about the parfait 'option' until after we had eaten the frittata and French toast (which were bland, salty and soggy, by the way) - the same server forgot to mention it.

The inn's policy is to to only place one keurig pod of coffee, decaf and tea in each room, so if there are two of you wanting regular coffee, one of you will be disappointed. Oh, and the shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the bathroom were all half empty from the previous occupants. I'm all for 'green' but this was just mean.

All in all, I wish I'd stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ozzie67, General Manager at The Inn at Leola Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Kevinthomas;

First I would like to thank you for writing your review through tripadvisor, however I am a bit disappointed and somewhat perplexed by your perception of our Four Diamond Hotel. Let me explain. When traveling on weekends to our hotel in the height of the spring/summer season the activity around the property is of great joy and enthusiasm from our many guests, some guests may get a bit rambunctious but my staff is always prepared to assist any guest that would prefer a quieter accommodation or would request to quiet the fervor near any area of the grounds. We received no such request from you at any point in time to either.

In addressing your concern with dinner in our Rustic Italian Restaurant - Osteria Avanti, again my staff prides themselves on resolving any service issue that is brought to their attention and again nothing would lead us to suggest we had any unsatisfied guests over the weekend including your party. Perhaps when dining in other restaurants in the future may I suggest asking for management assistance to your table so your voice would be heard and your concerns dealt with timely.

Our complimentary European inspired continental breakfast is the rave for all who stay hear at the Inn. All breakfast items are prepared in-house and offer an abundant variety to choose from, to include the parfaits that you mentioned, which we typically serve table side to all who dine with us. I am at a loss as to how this was overlooked.

Concerning your in-room amenities. The Keurig coffee pods are available 24 hours a day complimentary and my understanding from my front desk manager with whom you spoke regarding this issue, offered to deliver as many as you would have liked, yet you declined. Lastly the bath amenities are of high quality and we are proud of offering these to our guests since they promote our "Green Initiative" here at Leola Village. Again these products are always replenished with every housekeeping service and our room inspectors ensure that no rooms have half bottles of amenities before a guest would occupy a room.

In closing I would say that while we fell short on your expectations, we would have loved to remedy your concerns if they would have been voiced. In reading your previous criticism of other hotels on tripadvisor, where you have stayed my recommendation for your future travels would be to address the issues at the property level in order for your experiences to be more memorable and positive.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

First let me say that my husband and I received numerous compliments about how BEAUTIFUL our venue was, and we AGREE!!! We decided to have both our ceremony and reception at The Inn at Leola Village. My husband and I LOVED the atmosphere, décor and professionalism at The Inn at Leola Village. We worked closely with Stephanie Lambert, who did an AMAZING job!!! Stephanie worked closely with us thru every step of the wedding planning process, ensuring we never missed a beat. She was always quick to respond to our questions and was very easy to work with!! They were incredibly flexible with some of our demands, including the creation of a custom bar stocked with various types of craft-beer to accommodate our joint love of beer.

We had tried to hold our wedding ceremony outside and about 1 hour before the start of the ceremony it started to rain with no sign of ending and in less than an hour the staff at The Inn at Leola had completely set-up the inside space and it looked so beautiful, like we had planned it that way from the beginning. They helped calm our nerves about the last minute changes and it worked out PERFECTLY!!

Everyone on the staff at The Inn at Leola was incredibly friendly, approachable and professional ensuring that my husband and I had everything we needed and more…from a full glass of beer right after the ceremony and right before we left at the end of the reception! Their attention to detail is unparalleled and helped give my husband and I the PERFECT WEDDING!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is “historic” but most of the buildings looked like they were recently built. There seem to be too many buildings crammed into this small patch of land. I am not entirely sure how or why this place received four diamonds. The staff, while polite, seems a bit pretentious. The room, while comfortable, seemed tacky. It was odd to find that our bathroom is a part of the bedroom and doesn’t have a door. The putting green and swimming pool were both dirty and so small that it was not worth the effort. The rooms have very thin walls so it is possible to hear the traffic outside on the busy street as well as people in other rooms. I would rate this inn as “average” at best and will not be staying here again upon my return to the area. We didn’t have a bad time here, but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am writing so that no other Mother of the Bride experiences what I did when paying for my daughter's wedding. I was charged nearly $750.00 for itmes that I do not have any receipt for, were not a part of my contract and that the Inn cannot provide clarity for. I have been attempting to reconcile this charge for nearly 6 months, to no avail. I implore you to look elsewhere when looking for a venue to host your wedding. The service befor the event, unmatched. The service the day of the event, ridiculously unorganized. The billing the day after the event unaccounted for! STAY AWAY! Stay ANYWHERE but here!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AuntieB19350
Ozzie67, General Manager at The Inn at Leola Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear AuntieB19350

We are pleased to have had the honor of hosting your daughter’s wedding reception at The Inn at Leola Village. It was a beautiful celebration utilizing our “Winter Wedding Package.”
I am also pleased that you found our services “unmatched”. So, thanks for the kind words and we hope your daughter is as happy today as she was at her wedding!
Honestly, this review is shocking to me and our entire accounting and wedding planning teams since this is the first time any such claim has been communicated. So, as I said, this catches us off guard.
As you may know, we have been corresponding with your daughter Amanda regarding questions on your credit card. To our understanding all billing matters had been addressed, resolved and properly posted.
My records show electronic conversations with your daughter on Friday, May 10, 2013 1:06 PM, Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:18 PM, Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:19 PM, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:07 PM and Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:12 PM.
Again, I believe all charges have been fully accounted for and have been accurately billed to your credit card. So, I will again state what I wrote in May “If you need me to clarify anything else just reach out to me again”.
We do appreciate your daughter’s selection of The Inn at Leola Village for her wedding venue. And I invite you to discuss any challenges with me, personally.
Thanks for using TripAdvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leola
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#1 of 40 in Lancaster
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)

Been to The Inn at Leola Village? Share your experiences!