“Best Cheesesteak in Central PA”

Shugar's Philly Deli
Ranked #17 of 46 Restaurants in Lemoyne
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Camp Hill, PA
“Best Cheesesteak in Central PA”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I love Philly Cheese steaks and I've had them at every joint in Central PA. Shugar's is the best, hands down! They have the original cheese steak with Cheese Whiz w/or w/o onions. You can get sauce and additional toppings and substitute Provolone for Cheese Whiz.. In my opinion this sandwich needs no sauce.

They have two sizes 1/2 and whole but don't be deceived; the half size could make two meals or be shared by 2. I think the price for a 1/2 is about $7.50 or so. You can also get it with extra meat. If you doubt my rave review try one.

BTW their other subs especially the Roast Beef and Provolone are excellent!

• Visited June 2013

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Friendly, efficient service and food like no other in Central PA”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We never heard of this little store in the corner of the old Hoover's Plaza. It's a hidden gem. Our adult children raved about the food and decided to try it out. This is not a place to sit down and eat, but is perfect to pick up. I called early in the week to find out if we should call ahead for an order for 8 adults and 2 children on the Satrday before Memorial Day. The very friendly, personable employee said to call around 9:30 Saturday and what I did. The order was placed fo pick up at 5:30 and was ready wen we arrived. The place is not fancy, the employees are very friendly, and the restaurant appeared to be clean. We ordered from the on line menu and found the menus on the walls were the same with several specials too. The menu is so varied and can be adapted to your individual tastes. We walked out with a huge bag of food and the bill was very reasonable. We still needed to find out if our adult children were accurate with their reviews. They were spot on! Each person had special requests for their items (some onions, some mayo, and the list goes on) and every item was exactly as ordered. You have a choice of 10" or 20" subs and the 10" is so packed with meat and cheese it is quite adequate for 2 lighter eaters. Each person that ordered a sub was very happy with their choice and even the 3 and 7 year olds ate their entire meal. Our daghter and I had salads that were made with a variety of crisp lettuce, an amazing assortment of vegetables, and a wonderful store made oil and vinegar dressing. My salad was a side salad and it was huge! I also had a crab bisque type soup and it had the perfect combination of spices, but not a lot of crab. This is a much needed addition to this area if you are a sandwich or salad lover. They need to get the word out they've arrived and ready to serve the area with good food and terrific service.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank pitt_twins
“Wow!!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The cheesesteak is amazing. That's really all I can say is - wow! My fiancé likes the Italian sub best but they're all great.

1 Thank TravelLovingTrainer
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“GREAT Cheese steak”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Had lunch at Shugars today. OMG! The 1/2 cheesesteak sandwich will feed me for two days. These are authenic Philly style cheese steaks. Real steak; real fried onions "wit"; great fresh mushrooms; great sauce; and, cheese "wiz".
They are a mess to eat and the deli has very little inside seating so I will probably order for carry out next time. But I WILL go back.

• Visited September 2012
Pennsylvania
“The Taste of Philadelphia Has Arrived in Lemoyne”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were visiting family in the Harrisburg area and were excited to try lunch from Shugar’s Philly Deli. When it comes to hoagies and cheese-steaks, I’ve got an expert badge. A native of Philadelphia, I grew up on these delicacies.

In a word, Shugar’s is “fantastic”. This is a take-out place, with a couple small tables, but don’t depend on them - they’ll probably be taken. We called ahead and by the time we got there our order was just then being assembled. The counter and kitchen appeared busy and efficient. They handled special orders just fine – such as, “hold this”, “add that”, “put the other thing on the side”.

Our sandwiches included the Shugar Italian, the Cheese Steak, and the Chicken Steak. All were much thicker than we expected, with top quality fresh ingredients and authentic Philly-style sandwich rolls. The huge portion of fries (for $2.25), freshly made in peanut oil, was phenomenal. Yes, fries can be phenomenal.

Whether staying in the area, or just passing through, Shugar’s is now a must stop, just a few minutes off I-83 near the South Bridge.

• Visited July 2012