“Don't Let the Smoke Get in Your Eyes”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lehighton
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We spent the weekend traveling in the Pocono Mtn. area and for our last night's stay chose the Country Inn & Suites in Lehighton. We booked two rooms and unfortunately one had to be a smoking room (room 303) and the other was nonsmoking (room 103), due to being full for the evening. Room 103 had beautiful furnishings and was excellent. The staff at the desk assured me the smoking room (303) should be okay, but they did ask if I had asthma, which I don't. We dropped our belongings off, opened the windows to air out the room, and headed to Penn's Peak for the evening. When we got back to the room at about 11:30, the room was no better for air quality. I turned down the bed to find a terribly stained bedspread (smoking rooms do not have comforters as the nonsmoking room 103 had) and also a dirty blanket. The sheets were pristine white. Anyway I headed to the front desk to pick up a couple of blankets, one for my husband on the bed and one for me to attempt to sleep by the window for fresh air. I had attempted to lie in the bed but the air burned my nose and throat. I tried the chair, but no better by the window. The only place you could get away from the saturated smoke was in the bathroom, so I spent the night in the beautiful new appearing tub/shower with the door closed. My only problem in there was the bathroom light kept turning on and off during the night. LOL Currently I am in the breakfast room and it looks like you have several choices for breakfast from hot food to muffins and bagels. I am going for the creamy oatmeal with a choice of three toppings to add to it. Yummmmm. You will enjoy your stay here, just don't choose room 303 unless you plan to add to the poor air quality. Also, the front porch has nice chairs, but they were occupied by smokers as we entered the hotel. ONce again, not the best air quality. The staff had mentioned an air purifier that could be taken to the room, but the young man at midnight told me it would take a couple of hours to work. He did supply me with a bottle of Febreeze when I asked for air deodorizer. The staff was quite helpful and very friendly. Also, the hotel is right next to the toll booth, but I never heard night noises from the bathtub.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Ilovecountry, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2010

Dear Guest,

October is a very busy month for us and I am sincerely sorry for only having 1 non-smoking and the other room you needed being smoking. Unfortunately we never know if the person whom stayed the night before your stay was a heavy smoker or not. You are correct that the smoking rooms have our 2004 comforters, while the non-smoking rooms were updated this July, we are in hopes that we will become a full non-smoking hotel. And also with the bathroom light, they are energy saving "green" lights which are on a sensor so unfortunately every time you moved the light would have come on. I did look at your reservation with the dirty blanket, again I fully apologize and want you to know that a dirty blanket is NOT our standard policy. I hope in the future you will join us again and book a little early so we can better accommodate your non-smoking preference.

My sincere apologies,
Jennifer Lesher
Director of Sales

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I was satisfied with the cleanliness of the room, but I was absolutely annoyed by the rest of my experience. I was there for a wedding, and after being offered a "reduced block rate", I found a significantly lower price via the corporate website ($130 vs $97). The gym facilities were an absolute joke; they looked pretty, but every single machine was broken and unusable. I ended up running on the adjacent highway.

As a close relative of the bride (whose immediate family still lives in lives in town, but has many traveling relatives), I have first-hand knowledge of how the management refused to make us feel welcome. It's as if they didn't want us to come back, but because I have class (unlike them), I won't turn this review into a gripe-fest. Nevertheless, if the managers are reading this, congratulations... you got your wish and we won't return!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

I am so sorry that your wedding stay with us was less than satisfactory. Our wedding packages are usually around 15% off regular rate, by booking through a 3rd party website or our summer promotion of advance purchase you would have found better rates, however those rates do come with such stipulations as 100% full payment upon booking, no cancellations or no refunds for any reason as well as advanced purchase must be booked almost 1 month before date of stay.

With the gym equipment not working I am sorry that you experienced that since we have no record that any of the gym equipment was not working on the dates and when receiving this comments we did check every machine throughout without finding fault.

Every weekend in October we had anywhere between 2-4 wedding parties stay with us again without any glitches....I am sorry that you and your family will not be returning to our hotel and just wish you all the best of luck with future hotel stays.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

Our first impression was amazing. my husband greg and i arrived first with my sisters and their husbands arriving not far behind. we only get together a few times a year and this year we chose the poconos! we were greeted by the cutest dog ever looking over the desk! we made a 'special request' and the staff was kind and worked their magic to make it possible. we were very grateful! our room was wonderful. flat screen tv, micro, fridge, wifi, clean bright bathroom, sham/con/lotion,facewipes, hairdryer, means to make coffee, the bed was soft and the drapes kept out the light. vending machine and ice were available in hallway. complimentary coffee and cookies/granola bars & apples were available as well. we swam twice and the water was clear, lots of towels, and was very relaxing. breakfast was a little hetic but manageable. we had a wonderful weekend in the poconos and the Country Inn & Suites was a big part of it. told our kids about it, now they want to visit! we WILL be back! thank you staff, everything was wonderful!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Ilovecountry, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Deborah,

Thank you so much for your kind words, we definitely appreciate your sweet comments and enjoy hearing them! I am extremely glad you enjoyed your stay and we were able to accommodate all of your wants and needs, we can not wait for you to have a return stay and bring your children with as well.

Sincere thanks,
Jennifer Lesher

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Were in the area doing some site seeing and hiking. Check-in was fast and easy.

Room was clean and had the basics (shampoo, conditioner, Lotion, etc.), flat panel TV, mini frig and microwave. The bed was comfortable but wasn't a fan of the feather pillows.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

The hotel is directly off the PA Turnpike but we didn't find the road noise to be a problem.

The free continental breakfast was fine. Included the basics (cereal, toast, bagels, etc).
1 thing that always annoys me is when only whole milk is available. For those who use skim or fat free you'll be eating your cereal dry here. You'll also we out of luck scoring some slenda or equal.

You can't go wrong staying here if you'er in the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bjm1271
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We travelled from australia to go to the nascar at pocono, I booked the hotel online after checking out trip advisor. This place was great , It was clean, modern ,had a great indoor pool for the kids the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you & a good breakfast
It was a nice drive to the track from here as well

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We just got back from a weekend trip and stayed at this hotel because of the reviews on this site. I have to say we were sorely disappointed. The place was DIRTY! We arrived on Friday and left on Sunday and the same food crumbs that littered the hall that were there when we arrived were there when we left. There was some sticky food residue on one of the tables in our room and it was in the center of a white counter and were obvious. The room was definitely not cleaned before our arrival, maybe a quick wipe down. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ilovecountry, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2010

Dear Gregdrose,

I was very saddened to hear of your unpleasant stay with us. Please believe, your examples stated above are NOT our standard practices. Here at Country Inn & Suites, Lehighton, we pride ourselves on our cleanliness scores, which are one of the highest in the company. I currently can not find any guests named Greg whom stayed with us in June, if you could please call the hotel or email me personally so we can speak about this matter I would greatly appreciate it. Again I am sorry for your dismay.

Jennifer, DOS

Reviewed June 21, 2010

This was our first time staying at a Country Inn and Suites. We loved it!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Ilovecountry, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Dear smitty1KerrcountyTX,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and your kind words; if you are ever in the area again we would be happy to have you again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
DOS

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lehighton
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
#2 of 6 in White Haven
Pocono Resort Conference Center

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!