“Hidden Jewel”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Great Mexican food in an out-of-the-way neighborhood setting.  People drive from all over Pgh. area to go to this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Azul Bar Y Cantina

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Our office ordered from here to pick it up. The online menu price and lunch menu is wrong. Online, the lunch prices stated $8.00 for everything on that menu. Each of us were charged $5.00 over the menu prices. I was charged $12.84 for 1 burrito! It was good but not worth that much. Also, do not order a side of salsa, it was the worst I have ever had. Not to mention I actually ordered chicken flautas and they gave me a burrito but charged it out as a fajita. Do they know what a flautas is? We will not order from here again.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I was back in Pittsburgh the week of May 23rd for business and remembered Azul from 2 years prior while working there on a project. My bday fell during this week and I wanted some really good Mexican food since you can't find it in Germany. After reading previous reviews I was hesitant to go back and ruin my great memories and plus I wanted to go on my bday. Well, I went and it was delicious!! We had enchiladas verde (chcken) and queso fundido (chorizo) plus far too many chips with salsa and pico. The double margarita really packs a punch! That was on Thursday; for my last dinner prior to heading back to Germany I had to go back! It was a Sat night and a bit busier so we sat at the bar and had a great time. The waitress even remembered us from Thurs. So glad I went back!!

Reviewed March 2, 2010

While the food was good before, the new chef who arrived in December has taken it to a new level. While the service is inconsistent due to lack of bodies, we return every week for another awesome treat.

Reviewed May 3, 2009

My wife and I have been there several times 4 or 5. We always try to go out early so it usually does not take ling to be seated. Rustic tables and chairs, Hard Wood chairs, so if you are there for a while your back might feel it. It can busy but never seems to loud. We usually just get beers, they are pretty quick to get you the first round but forget it after that. Food is good and consistent, no great or no fabulous just good home style nothing fancy, and portions are worth the price. My wife like to go Thursday when their daily special is Tamales and we have to say it's pretty good everything is good.
THE ONLY PROBLEM that keeps us from going there more regularly is the staff or lack of.... We have to be hard up for something different to go now. Here are a few scenarios, when it first opened we went in and I ordered a side of refried b;ac bean, vert tasty and freshly home all the way down to the small pebble I found in it. When I mention to the waiter he shrugged it off. We usually can not get the staff around for second rounds. Granted we usually get the male staff and they are busy flirting with the waitresses, so this could be understandable, hmm. Though we did get a female waitress once and it almost took us 2 hours to get out. When we asked it was that she was the only one on the floor because all the rest of the waiters had to go back in the kitchen to cook as the kitchen staffed quit that nite. Now I ask it is a string of bad luck, remember we have been there 4 or 5 time and it always happens the same way. So as my son asked the last time we went, why do you keep coming back? Good question, so now we usually order out !!

The prices range from $20-$30 per entrée
The service was excellent???
Liquor prices were on the high side with glasses of wine and mixed drinks starting at $7.
Parking. The parking lot was on the small side and could be a problem on busy nights.

Will I go back for the terrific food but hope that do something to deaden the noise.

1  Thank mallica714