“Great Food in Lebanon - Wine selection...Not so good”
Review of Old Gin Mill

Old Gin Mill
Ranked #3 of 126 Restaurants in Lebanon
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I found this place to be great on food and liquor, but not so much on wine. The food, service and the staff all seemed up to par. I ordered a steak and it was out immediately, actually several minutes sooner than I would have preferred. The sides I ordered were the salad and vegetables.

The steak was well prepared and seasoned properly. I am very critical with the seasoning on my food and this place did a nice job. The salad was served first with that crappy cup of dressing. I don't really like that crappy plastic cups of dressing, but I understand why restaurants to that, I still don't have to like it. I was only about 1/2 way through my salad when the steak was presented. I really prefer more time between courses, however, this is their timing.

The steak had some gristle in it and that's OK, it's expected on a NY strip cut. The vegetables were nicely cooked as well. I didn't care for the wine selection. Which jug wine would you like? I don't care for that selection and that dimishes the really nice aura they have going with a pretty good kitchen. The food from the kitchen (i.e cooked food, not prepared dishes such as the salad) was very, very good. They should be commended for a great serving.

I also look at these places as if I would come back. Here, absoutely yes. Give this a try, but don't expect much from the wines by the glass. Enjoy the properly seasoned steaks!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had a quick dinner at the Old Gin Mill after sightseeing all day and driving around the town of Lebanon. The restaurant is pretty good. The food was plenty, the service excellent and the atmosphere nice. A real "local" place. We enjoyed it.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had one of the better steaks I've had in a long, long time. Servers were patient with our large group and prices were good. I'd definitely eat here again.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stopped in here with some family members for a few beers and some dinner. We loved the bar area and that is where we sat. The bartender was very attentive and took good care of us. They have a very good selection of beer as well as a real good menu.

I had the chicken philly and it was very, very good. My son had the pasta special and said that he loved it. Check this place out, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

When you order a steak, and pay the going rate for it, it should not taste "off" or be tough. We gave them several chances, but honestly, none of the food from this place has ever impressed us. It does seem to attract those who drink, however, so perhaps food is not the real purpose of this establishment.