“Holiday Inn unclear on providing customer service”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lebanon
Danvers, Massachusetts, United States
“Holiday Inn unclear on providing customer service”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I do have to say, my most recent stay at the Holiday Inn was the worst experience in a hotel/resort I have had thus far. In my 5 night stay from June 22 thru June 27 my family and I had to deal with unhelpful staff, unknowledgeable staff, ants, running out of breakfast food, missing property, un-made beds, and I had to pay for items to be returned to me, that ended up melted or ruined. IHG Care has not helped and can only direct me back to the hotel that will not respond. My next task is to try and contact the corp office and attempt to speak directly to Lewis Fader. I think the lack of service and in-action is completely unacceptable.
I booked 2 rooms for my family (7 of us in total) in Lebanon, PA. Our stay was for 5 nights, Fri June 22 thru Wed June 27. My purpose was a vacation visiting Hershey, Lancaster and Harrisburg areas.
Day 1 after checkin, i wanted to get a couple of extra pass keys. After repeatedly discovering some would not work, we determined there could not be more than 2 pass keys per room at a time. For every new one that was acquired, an existing one deactivated. The staff does not know this and has continued to say we can have more than 2 at a time.
Day 2, after returning from a day in Lancaster, we discovered my daughter's Nintendo DSI was missing. It was placed in a particular spot in the room (on her sweatshirt, on a bench). We searched both rooms, cars, pool area and realized it is nowhere to be found. The front desk was accommodating and called the manager after I insisted. He (Mike) listened and mentioned this has never happened before. He did say I would hear back after he investigated. I have not heard back and we are checking out tomorrow. I did hear the front desk say a name to Mike while they were discussing the situation. The name I believe she said was "Angela." I would like to also mention one of rooms was not made, the beds remained untouched. There was a hand written note saying they could not make the beds because of personal items. There was a sweatshirt and phone charger on the bed. They did however leave clean towels.
Days 2 & 3, the cleaning staff repeatedly came back to the rooms, knocking and asking if they could clean the rooms. The requests were done is relatively quick succession, 5 minute intervals. On one occasion, the room was already made and there came 2 requests after. The staff does the bare minimum for accommodating customers. I did not see any good customer service skills displayed during our stay. The staff at the breakfast area was the most helpful of all the staff.
2 mornings, we found the breakfast area short on food. No yogurt, no hard boiled eggs, no cartons of milk, no cinnamon rolls, as there was previously. We were told the pantry has run short of food. How can you offer free breakfast and run short of food?
This was not the most surprising thing that morning. I woke up to a bunch of little visitors running around the desk, ants. Not one or two, I saw more than 10. I have pictures in case this is in question. We notified the front desk immediately and we were told maintenance would take care of it. We mentioned our concern regarding spraying insecticide around our belongings and the response was maintenance would take care of it. We came back after a day at Hershey and I found an ant running around on the desk (another picture).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Ed B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, PA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed in a suite which was very clean and very well kept. The hotel over all seemed clean and the staff was very kind. The breakfast buffet was the best my family and I have encountered over many years of travel. The pool was a HUGE disappointment. It looked NOTHING like the picture and was SO cold that even my 6 year old would not get in, and he'll get in just about anything! We stayed an extra night just for swimming which turned out to be a waste of money. We asked about heating it and were told it could be entered into a maintenance log, but not sure if anything could be done. Needless to say, in the 2 nights, 3 days we were there, no one went swimming.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank noviyamama
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear noviyamama,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you did not find the temperature of our pool to your liking. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I was here for two nights and I had a coworker with me who had their own room and they stayed for 1 night. The hotel is new, I believe less than 2 years old but I was dissappointed in the hotel. Both my coworker and I had some level of bug(s) in our room. A little surprising, expecially considering it is winter and the newness of the facility.

Got up at 5AM one morning and no coffee which is unusual for a HIE. Went to buy a soda from the vending machine and it was out of ALL drinks. I had one mini muffin and wasn't interesting in anything else because of the cleanliness I experienced.

Bed, furniture/TV & bathroom were new but sleep quality was definitely affected by the above mentioned items plus the heating system was very loud. The heat kicked on during a call and my wife asked me if I was at the airport.

This hotel seemed to attract a lot of non business professional travelers who thought walking around with beers in the common area etc. was acceptable. I can only imagine what it had looked liked in summer.

The hotel doesn't seem to place an emphasis on cleanliness. My entire 2 night stay the elevator was very dirty. Brand new, but dirty. The same massive dirt smudge on the doors was on the elevator doors the entire time. I used the hallway a fair bit and it had some debris in it that again the debris stayed there the entire time of my stay.

The hotel is in a rural area with not much in the way of food choices right near the hotel.

Business center was 2 PCs in the same room they had a really small food for sale pantry.

Staff was fine so I gave them a 3. I also gave the room a 3 of 5 because the room would have been nice considering it was a HIE but I killed a large bug, the rug was dirtier than I expected for a hotel this new, etc. If the facility was cleaner I would have given the value a 4 and the overall score either a 3 or a 4.

When in the area again I will be staying at another hotel unless I see a lot of improvement in their tripadvisor reviews. This hotel is only a couple of miles from where I have to go so hopefully they get these issues addressed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank P4620
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The brand needs to do away with the horrible imitation egg omelet halves; they’re absolutely horrible. I’m grateful for the coffee stand and cereal bar. The room was clean, but the arm of the chair in the room was badly torn apart and frayed. There were bugs in the room; we must have killed half a dozen while we were here. They didn’t have movies in the room, which was a total let down since there was nothing else to do. There were instructions to use the Movie Beam movie remote; I couldn’t figure out how to do this from the instructions provided. I called the front desk and her reply was that they no longer had it. Considering there’s nothing else in the surrounding neighborhood; that was extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place unless all you really need is a place to lay your head.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have relatives in Lebanon so I need to stay in the area often. I find this to be one of the best hotels around there. The rooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable and the free continental breakfast was excellent. It's true this hotel is far from Hershey attractions, but if you have family or business in the Lebanon area, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank renewedmom
Jeannette
Reviewed November 24, 2011

When we first contacted this hotel, they were completely booked. We gave our phone number in case there was a cancellation since our daughter wanted to swim. I called back about an hr. later to find out there was a room available (no one contacted us to tell us though). The room cost around $130. Our little girl wanted to swim but the pool had a strange odor so we didn't stay in long, which was disappointing. The carpets in the room were really dirty and stained. All this said, we were really tired so we just let all this slide. The worst part for me was when room service knocked on our door at 8:00 AM and woke us up. My husband told them we were still sleeping and they left. I'm not sure what they wanted. I assume they wanted to wake us up to try to get us to check out early so they could get their job done sooner. We had been traveling for 7 days and really needed our sleep. I did not complain at the hotel because there didn't seem to be any one around that seemed like management material and I just didn't feel like dealing with it. Instead I contacted headquarters through email. The response was that someone would get back to me from the Lebanon hotel. Still no response and it's been over a month. I was looking for some explanation as to why house keeping woke us up. I guess I will never know. But I also won't be staying at that hotel again. I hope you don't either. One good thing I can say is that the breakfast lady was very friendly and the breakfast was good. That part of the hotel seemed the cleanest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy J
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The hotel was wonderful modern and comfortable the staff are very friendly and courteous and the free breakfast was a plus but the negative stares I gotbfrom other guests stayingbat the hotel made me very uncomfortable because me and my husband were the only African Americans staying there we ate breakfast upstairs in our room the day of checkout overall our stay was lovely but I will never come back to this town .......

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Hampton Inn Manheim
Hampton Inn Manheim
#3 of 7 in Manheim
Rodeway Inn & Suites Myerstown - Lebanon
Comfort Inn & Suites Manheim - Lebanon
Fairfield Inn & Suites - Lebanon Valley
Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center
Days Inn Lebanon/Fort Indiantown Gap

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon? Share your experiences!