“First Time Experience”
Review of DiSalvos Station

DiSalvos Station
Reserve with OpenTable
DiSalvos Station is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Latrobe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: McKinley Ave & Ligonier St
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I had our anniversary dinner here and we also paid with a groupon that I purchased a few months ago. We went on a Sunday night at 5:30 so there was only one other table eating but I think there were more people downstairs. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. We got an appetizer, dinner, dessert, and my boyfriend had a couple beer so we did end up going over the groupon but it was worth it. One of the best meals we have ever had at a restaurant. Everything had so much flavor and we didn't have to wait long for the food at all.

1  Thank Angela S

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My parents and my wife and I went there last week and my grown son and his girlfriend went there a few days later. Although our dinners had some things in common, our overall experiences were much different.

Both of our parties visited DiSalvos Station for the first time as a result of purchasing a Groupon dining deal. That may have been part of the problem. When we walked into the restaurant, we were overwhelmed by its beauty. You enter the old train station thru a long brick arched tunnel. The tunnel opens up into a large bar/dining area, which then leads into smaller dining rooms. There is authentic train memorabilia everywhere and you can actually hear trains running over the top of the restaurant.

Upon arrival, the host had no record of the reservation that I had made personally the day before. The restaurant is full of very dignified, professional looking young waitresses and waiters dressed in long sleeve white shirts and neckties. We had an older waitress who seemed annoyed that we had a Groupon offer and disappeared from sight for 15-20 minutes at a time. When we mentioned to her that we had a Groupon offer, she rolled her eyes and sighed loudly. Then, when we said that we wanted water and refused her offer of bottled water, she rolled her eyes and signed loudly again. When she finally returned, we ordered our appetizers and salads and entrees and waited. We noticed the host and manager running in and out of the kitchen delivering meals to tables. Our fried zucchini appetizer was deliciously prepared, a thing of beauty to look at, and reasonably priced at $8.99. The shrimp appetizer for $13.99 consisted of four grilled shrimp with a drizzle of barbecue sauce over them. The shrimp were not very tasty, the presentation was poor and it was overpriced for four shrimp. Next came our salads, of which there are several options to from. The salads were excellent. Finally came the entrees. Two of our party got the New York Strip steaks ($29.99), another got the crab cakes and I got the Veal Parmesan ($24.99). The steaks were beautiful, although they were both less well done than ordered. One had to be sent back to be cooked further via another waitress since, as previously stated, our waitress would disappear for 15-20 minute intervals, which was especially annoying immediately after the entrees were delivered. All of the dishes exept mine, which came with pasta, were served with a fried risotto cake (which no one cared for) and asparagus. We all gave the food excellent reviews except for the risotto cakes. The waitress cleared our dishes and we then waited over 30 minutes for our bill. The entire meal took exactly two hours and we were the last customers left in the restaurant by the time we finally got our bill. I attribute this more to our waitress than to the restaurant and, for the record, we did tip 15% on the full, undiscounted price of our meals.

My grown son and his girlfriend went a few days later. The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so they went on a Wednesday evening. Their dining experience was worse than ours from the beginning to the end. First, when they showed up for their 7:00 reservation on a Wednesday night, they had to wait for 25 minutes in the bar area, despite there being a number of open tables. When they were finally seated, they both went to order the filet mignon (the main reason for their going there) and were told the restaurant was out of filet mignon. HOW CAN A RESTAURANT THAT OPENS FOR THE WEEK ON WEDNESDAY BE OUT OF FILET MIGNON BY 7:30 ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT? The answer is either horrible management of the kitchen or lying and saying they were out of filet mignon ($31.99) due to the coupon, although it was one of the entrees available under the Groupon deal. My son ordered the New York Strip steak and his girlfriend ordered the Chicken Romano, which she said was not very good. To make matters worse, the zucchini strips came to the table cold and my son's girlfriend was brought the wrong salad. After their meals, my son ordered creme brulee (not covered by the Groupon) and was told they were out of creme brulee! (Once again, the first night of the week that they were open!) He then ordered gelato and he said it was not good and had freezer burn on it. Needless to say, they will not go back with or without a coupon.

The restaurant is beautiful and most of the food was excellent. They definitely have some server issues and some back of the house issues with their ordering of supplies and making of desserts. While I would have given the restaurant a "4" for our meal, my son said he would be generous giving it a "2", so I averaged the two meals and gave it a "3".

3  Thank PghZorro
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Not your usual restauarant ! The train car and actual trains running through the station were most interesting ! One of the staff was kind enough to give us some history and let us take a peek into the train car . The dinner , salad, chicken and salmon were very good ! The lemon dessert cake was most delicious ! We will be back !!!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I went there for an enjoyable and relaxing evening without being rushed. Good service and good food and drinks.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Take a tour of the beautiful building but don't stop to eat because from our experience you will be highly disappointed.....We were celebrating 2 birthdays and dinner was a big let down....
Ordered 3 appetizers not one tasted like anything very bland....3 steaks sent back ..instead of medium well they were medium rare all came back on the wrong persons plate charred black......
Sorry when you pay for a steak you should be able to have it cooked to your liking.....so we tried this place because of a groupon but will not go back with this kind of food they are very lucky to have the location they do or it would surely not have lasted this long..........

2  Thank jeep1242

Been to DiSalvos Station? Share your experiences!