“Thankful for datos”

Chef Dato's Table
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Latrobe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Dato's new restaurant "Chef Dato's Table" is now open. Chef Dato's offers unpretentious, upscale dining with exceptional food and service.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had family of 14 for Thanksgiving. with 2 children under 2, and 2 under 10. Everything was perfect. Kara greeted us at the door and took us to our seats. Joseph came over right away to get our drink order & great us. The Buffet was wonderful. Alot of choices for all us picky eaters. The temp was great my food was hot and delicious. It was warm and welcoming just what you need on the holidays. Thank you for a wonderful Thanksgiving meal!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Buffet dinner set up for a club we belong to. Good variety of entrees, salad, rolls and dessert. Beverages were served by the wait staff as well as cocktails before dinner. Desserts were provided by one of the club members daughters.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I went to Chef Dato's with my 31 year old daughter Meghan--as she left her toddler back at the hotel with grand-mama! We got there late on Saturday Oct 12th 2013--but there were still people enjoying the atmos--> which is dark and intimate. Our server--a young tall thin fellow---with a naturally charming and friendly personality helped to make the night!! At meals end I asked him for a Grand Marnier--which he had not heard of--and he said he took just a sip and it was intriguing to him. My daughter had some sort of entree (cannot recall to name it)--> but it was very very delicious---sort of almost tasting like a dessert. If we had got there earlier---they would have still had prime rib roast beef--which would have been my choice. Since the prime rib was gone by this time after 9PM time--I opted for an Octoberfest item--basically pork and sauerkraut. Admittedly my wife does a better job with this treat---which we have every New Years Day! The pork here was a bit dry---and not enough sauerkraut---and the mashed/smashed could--should have more flavor---and some sort of gravy or sauce to enhance the flavor. Creme brulee for dessert was excellent (has anybody anywhere EVER had a bad creme brulee)?? Would I go there again??---> ABSOLUTELY!!! This was a thoroughly enjoyable night with a great server---a chance to talk to my beloved daughter in a delightful darkened atmosphere. And---for Latrobe area??---come on--Chef Dato's is the best!!! As with almost any restaurant---> go the safer route about what you order. Check out the menu online> make your decisions ahead of time----and give them a call so you know to get there early if you want Prime Rib. I cannot tell you how many times---I see family members order chancey items---rather that going for <best bets> and then wishing for a different choice. If you are adventurous---and want to experiment however---then go for it!! We will absolutely return to Chef Dato's the next time we are in Latrobe!!!!

1  Thank ArchitectZ
Reviewed October 24, 2013

It had been about six months since I was last at Chef Dato's Table and throughout my time in the restaurant I was wondering what happened to the restaurant. The décor was the same, they changed the menu slightly (which was not a problem for me) but the atmosphere has changed.

We were seated quickly by a long-time server at the restaurant, who while was very professional seemed a bit cool in their demeanor (I have been visiting this restaurant since it opened and this server was often times the person who took care of us and should have at least recognized me).

Our server came, gave us the menu's and took our beverage order. My friend and myself had already discussed what we were going to have prior to arriving, since Chef Dato's Table does an Octoberfest menu in October we decided in advance that we'd go for the Pork and Sauerkraut dinner if it was on the menu and it was.

First came our salads, which were okay. My friend was not very impressed with the greens selection so most of her salad was not eaten and she said that she was anticipating the entrée and didn't want to fill-up on salad.

When our pork and sauerkraut dinners arrived I was a bit disappointed in the quality and the quantity of the portions. The pork seemed a bit overly done and the flavor was a bit bland. I hardly had any sauerkraut and in the past I always raved about it and was really looking forward to it. It was served with smashed potatoes, which I ate some, but I'm not a potato person.

Our server did come and see how everything was and did refill our beverages without having to be asked to do so, but there was no feeling of being welcomed in their demeanor. In fact there was an odd vibe in the place the entire time we were there.

My friend took about half of her dinner home and I gave her the rest of my meal to take home. My friend told me that she had the remainder of the meal the next night and had to stop at the grocery store for a can of sauerkraut in order to have a meal for she and her husband.

Between the demeanor of the wait staff and the food quality/quantity it will be sometime before I return to the restaurant. I am willing to give the place one more try, hopefully they'll get it together.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently tried Chef Dato's for the first time. The starter was potato and cheese pierogies topped with buffalo sauce. The pierogies were nicely toasted and the sauce added just the right amount of flavorful heat. My main course was the pork schnitzel. There were two nicely breaded pieces of thinly sliced pork. The breading was delicious and the pork perfectly cooked and tender. The schnitzel was accompanied by smashed red potatoes and julienned squash. Not being a beer drinker myself, I opted for a glass of cider. It turned out to be a great accompaniment for the meal. The service was good and the prices reasonable for the portions served.

1  Thank hounds75