“Really interesting”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lansford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Tour was very informative about the hardships of mine work. The museum collection was interesting--lots of artifacts from workers and the labor union helped tell the story of the rough lives of the workers. It didn't have the sterile feel of the usual neatly packaged museum, and I noticed a lot of people didn't spend much time looking at the collections, but rather just waited for the mine tour to start. That was a shame, since I think they missed something of the experience. The trip into the mine really did help things come to life. I don't think I'd take a 5-year old who's afraid of the dark, but would definitely think that a pre-teen or teenager would find it meaningful and memorable.

4  Thank must-keep-moving

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I just finished a 2 day "fall colors tour" and this was a highlight. I'm so glad I found it. The Coal mine actually operated until 1972 and you get to tride a car into the mine for a 60 minute + tour. Then you can visit the exhibits which were assembled by coal mine fans and is huge. All this for $8.00! I understand price may go up next year but still a bargain. It's run by a non-profit organization and I'm glad they are doing it. Jan, the executive director, is very knowledgeble (as his her enthusiastic daughter who handles the ticket sales). Make sure to bring a reasonably heavr jacket as it is 50 degrees year round in the mine.

3  Thank SteveinPhilly
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stopped by the No. 9 Coal Mine on a Wednesday in October. Unfortunately, the mine tours only took place on weekends so we toured the museum. It is a collection of personal artifacts of many of the miners who live in the town and got together to resurrect the mine for tourism. It is a touching review of life in a mining town. We went back the following Sunday to take a tour of the coal mine itself. SO glad we did. It was a phenomenal experience. You went 250 feet beneath the earth on a small man-car. We saw an elevator shaft and other inner workings in the mine. The mine has been left as it was when it closed in the 1970s. The tour operator had an outstanding knowledge of the miners' experiences in the mines, and was able to help us imagine the deprivations they endured. We learned so very much with this 50-minute tour. Be sure to bring a jacket - the temp was 50 degrees. Unfortunately, a wheelchair or stroller can't take this tour.

3  Thank Melodycthomas
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I toured No. 9 Coal Mine with my daughter's class. I really enjoyed the tour into the mine. Chris, our tour guide was amazing. He was very knowledgeable and entertaining. I had no idea the of the conditions men and boys went through. I highly recommend this tour. The mine is staffed by volunteers who are very passionate about sharing the stories about their ancestors. The gift shop and museum are small. Bring a warm coat, wear long pants and walking shoes.

2  Thank m0mof3inpa
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was an interesting and an educational experience. One would be surprised how much they don't know about the Coal industry. The tour lasts about an hour down in the coal mines. It is a great history lesson. It is well explained and our tour guide made it very interesing and funny. He was great. Dress warm and enjoy as it is a constant 54 degrees down there. They do provide you with warm coats if you don't have one. Take it--you will need it. Most of all enjoy!

1  Thank dianne24