“No 16 Tons Here”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lansford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 19, 2012

A chance to see history. We were in the area and decided to check it out. Very interesting. Makes you appreciate what the miners went through in the dark, damp, dangerous area. Remembering that everything we saw was dug out by hand with the youngest boys being about 8 years old and guiding the mules hauling the carts of coal. The monkey tunnel. The hospital, if you could call it that. The different shafts that lead every which way. The veins of coal that are still there. There is a two car train with electric engine that takes you about 1/2 mile into the mine. The tour lasts about 1 hour which is just enough time to finish up and get the next train out when it brings in the next group for the tour. Our guide was excellant. The museum was "interesting" but not to much to see there. You do get a jacket to wear prior to going into the mine since it is damp, water drips from the ceiling and alot colder then outside.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"great grandfather"
"unique experience"
in 5 reviews
"a bit off the beaten path"
"train ride"
"small train"
"these men"
"mining artifacts"

Reviewed September 19, 2012

It was interesting to learn under what conditions these couregeous coal miners worked. One thing is to read about and another SEE IT!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped here after reading glowing reviews about this Museum on tripadvisor-so glad we did!
There is a modest fee for the coal mine (they only accept cash, I believe) and there is small museum (included in the fee) which you walk through while waiting for your tour to begin. The museum itself, was just ok, in my opinion, and it had on display interesting old coal hats, tools miner's used...but we were glad to begin the tour as 20 minutes for us in this museum was plenty. They also have a video you can watch but our tour started before they were able to put it in.
Once the tour began, they fit you with a jacket (if needed) as it's not just cold (50 degrees) but very damp in the mine.
We were taken by a cage train into the belly of the coal mine, which just takes a few minutes to get to. You then spend the remainder of the tour walking. The walk is quite easy but you will get muddy, no matter how careful you think you are being. I would recommend wearing sneakers and bringing wipes for your legs at the end. Our tour guide was very friendly (great with our kids 7 and 9 yrs old) and quite knowledgeable. His grandfather and I beleive, great grandfather had worked the mines, so as result he was quite passionate about the history of the Mine and shared some incredible stories with us about the struggles and work conditions the miners had to endure. I def. recommend this tour!

1  Thank OhioPerky1
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We should all learn about how hard our ancestors had to work, and under the conditions in this mine, it makes your 9-5 a dream job. I learned a lot, saw more than I expected and thank the current volunteers for keeping this mine available for us.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you are planning a trip to the Jim Thorpe area do not miss this gem. Coal mining shaped the carbon county area. In fact,without it, the quaint shops and mansions in Jim Thorpe would cease to exist. If you, like myself, had relatives who worked in the minds, this tour sheds light on their daily reality down in the trenches. It is really well done. I have done this tour 3 times and every time I feel like I learn something new. I would actually recommend taking this tour before you take the old jail or mansion tours in Jim thorpe. It helps put things in perspective and helps you understand the time period, why coal was so important, the conditions of the mine workers etc..

The guides here are all local folks who are passionate, personable, and knowledgeable. They enjoy what they do and it shows. The museum has a lot to see so leave time before or after your tour to walk through. Also-don't forget to bring a sweater or a jacket. The mine is always a bit chilly.