“Suffers from Lack of Competition”
Review of Moish & Itzy's

Moish & Itzy's
Ranked #20 of 100 Restaurants in Langhorne
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Suffers from Lack of Competition”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Moish & Itzy's has been the closest thing to a New York delicatessen in the Langhorne-Newtown-Yardley area for many years. Want a warm, old-time pastrami sandwich? Come here. Matzoh ball soup? It's fine. Whitefish salad on a bagel? Find it here.

So what's my beef? [Sorry about the pun.]

The food is good—but not great. And given the size of the portions, the prices are substantial, at least by local standards. Generally, the service is above average—but it is not consistently so. Sometimes the staff is very attentive, other times they seem to be going through the motions.

These are the kinds of restaurant experiences that make me believe Moish & Itzy's could use some competition to motivate it to put out a more consistent effort. Want to drive an extra 15 minutes to a half hour to Holland, Huntington Valley, or northeast Philadelphia for a better value? OK, but gas ain't cheap and time is money. But if an enterprising, hungry competitor moved into the neighborhood, maybe we could have our lean corned beef sandwich on rye and eat it, too.

• Visited March 2013

“Good Jewish deli but not NY caliber.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Extensive menu consisting of Jewish deli fare and general diner-type meals. Pricey for what you get. Quality sandwiches, not stuffed like NY delis but not priced far from them. Good matzohball soup, but $10 per quart is a bit much.

1 Thank CruiseCriticMatt
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Ripped off with an attitude!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Soups are very salty, Items are overpriced even for Newtown. I ended up sending my whole meal back. Never again! You're better off going to Famous Deli in Holland where you will get good fresh food at a reasonable price. And no attitude!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank hairydiver
Hopewell, New Jersey
“Deli Paradise”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A must try. Throwback atmosphere to the days when service meant everything. The counter staff were friendly and genuine, well mannered, helpful and accommodating. I felt like I had stepped back to a time when people treated people with a certain air of respect.

First impression, it was very busy (and it is obvious why), there's a lot going on around you (hustle and bustle) and the menu is enormous. I was promptly greeted and said I was looking for a sandwhich. The gentleman behind the counter spent a few minutes walking me through the various options from the menu encased in the countertop. I decided on the Turkey and Ham sandwich with Cole Slaw and Russian Dressing (to go).

When I picked up the container, it seemedd unusually heavy, when I opened the container, I couldn't believe the size of the sandwich. To fit it in my mouth, I had to partially disassemble the mountain of meat and condiments. The deli meats were fresh and delicious, the dressings, "finger-licking" flavorful. And the, pickle, crisp and fresh!

Wish I lived closer!

• Visited November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nothing to write home about.”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've been here several times. I keep hoping for the classic deli experience. I must say that I am always disappointed. I typically order a sandwich. Corned beef, reuben, pastrami and the like.
They have always been kind of bland. I went today. I sat for 15 minutes while I waited and watched several customers that arrived after me get waited on before me. I watched the staff and they all seemed kind of bored while I seemed invisible.
I started with the chicken noodle soup. It really tasted like Lipton's cup of soup. How can that be?
Then I had the potato pancakes. If I didn't know what I ordered I would have never known what I was eating. They didn't even taste like potatoes. Totally bland.
What's going on here? I'm a chow hound. I love food. I can say that I've never had a bad meal ever. Don't get me wrong. Some have been better than others but I just can't tolerate bland. Especially from a place that should be overwhelming my taste buds with classic tastes.

• Visited October 2012