“Great time; staffing issues were our only bummer”
Review of Sesame Place

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Langhorne
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: NEW in 2017! Every weekend is full of Springtacular fun at Sesame Place® as Elmo wonders about new and exciting things! Join Elmo and his friends as they learn about magic, trains, pirates, storybooks and superheroes! Each weekend, from May 6 through June 18, Elmo will use his imagination and transform the park into a new adventure. Sing along with Choo-Choo Soul during train weekend, catch a new show, Elmo & the Bookaneers during Pirate Weekend, enjoy special character meet & greets, dines and more!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Long Island, NY
“Great time; staffing issues were our only bummer”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We had a wonderful time at Sesame Place. The one thing I want to stress to people is that your children won't remember that they waited or that the food was overpriced. They only remember that they met the characters, saw the parade, loved the shows, etc. That makes everything worth it.

We went on the last Wed and Thurs in August. We arrived early (the turnstiles take forever, so leave time for parking and entering) and waited 35 minutes for our first ride, Sky Splash. While on the ride, a family was escorted through by a lifeguard, one of whom was disabled. I was so grateful for the rest of the time (we did the two-day pass) that I have two healthy children capable of waiting on a line. Happily, I listened to the whining and let them climb on the bars. I think it's great that the park does that and I applaud the families for taking advantage of it and enjoying the park. We saw it on a few rides and shows that day.

My daughter just turned 3 and my son is 19 months, so it was a little crazy trying to see everything and accommodating their schedules. The two days were definitely necessary. My son napped in the stroller from 1-2, so we used that time to set up camp for the parade. TIP: Definitely set up where the blue meets the black pavement - it's shady and a great view.

We brought in a small cooler with drinks and fruit, as well as dry snacks in the diaperbag. We also brought our stroller and used it as our locker. We kept minimal amounts of money on us and brought in one card. There are strollers everywhere, and they seemed safe. We brought lunch each day in a big cooler in the car, which helped reduce costs. We parked in the preferred lot because there are more trees and set up towels under a tree, which my kids were so excited about. My daughter told family that we had a picnic in the parking lot like it was a highlight of the trip.

Elmo's World Live was great. We got on line for that when the first one let out. So when the 4:15 show ended at, say, 4:45, we jumped on line for the next one and were the second ones on line. We encountered some pushy, ridiculous low-class people, but really enjoyed the show.

If you have young ones, definitely book a meal with the characters. It is really exciting to them when the characters sit at their table and kiss mom and dad, plus we didn't have to wait on line for them in the park. It was excellent. Well worth the money...though the food was terrible and nothing was replenished quickly, if at all.

The first day was hot, so we did the wet rides and the air-conditioned shows. The second day was predicted to be cooler and it turned out to be even cooler than that, with low humidity and chance of rain. So that day we did all the dry rides, and a few wet ones with no lines.

The park was really great except for one major thing that really affected everything: they are severely understaffed. Kids were throwing sand, running up the slides the wrong way, pushing and shoving in the monster maze, just completely unsupervised. A park needs to take responsibility for parents not supervising; they will be liable if a child is hurt. There were many places where staff was not present or not doing their job.

Also, we had TWO experiences where the photographer did not put the pictures on the cards. We lost some really great photos of our first time seeing Elmo and breakfast with Cookie Monster. Thankfully they were able to recover the Cookie Monster photos, but not Elmo. I advise everyone to redeem their cards immediately. We didn't and they cannot recover them the next day. The explanation we were given was that concession workers were filling in as photographers. I'm guessing that it being the end of the summer, many college kids are back to school, so the staffing issues are emphasized, but still...they should plan better for this.

Israel
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Mixed review”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

First off, I must say that our 5-year-old loved Sesame Place. Unlike in many amusement parks, almost all of the rides are very appropriate for his age. Although the park is relatively small, there is a nice variety of water rides and dry rides, the better of the latter being the climbing/action type attractions as opposed to standard mechanical amusement park rides.

That being said, Sesame Place is very poorly managed compared to comparable attractions.

First off, it is expensive, and beyond the price of admission, they charge for a lot of extras (parking costs between $15-25, day lockers cost $20, food is pricey and gross-looking (can't comment on taste -- we brought our lunch in a cooler)).

If the park were well-managed, the price would not have bothered me so much. However, that is clearly not the case. Take parking, for example. We visited on a summer weekday (Wednesday, not a holiday weekend or anything like that). We waited for 1/2 hour just to park. Why? Because the park employs 2 people in little toll-booth-type huts to manually collect their exhorbitant parking fees. How inefficient! Every single parking garage or other amusement attraction in the country handles parking better than this.

The lines for the rides are very long, and there is no shade provided. Unlike in other amusement parks, which help guests pass the time more pleasantly while they wait on line by having characters walk through the park, or by having some sort of animatronic musical displays along the line, here there is nothing. Just long, hot, boring lines. The employees are best described as indifferent.

We did not eat here, but the lines we saw in the cafeterias were as long as the lines for the water slides. This place is obviously under-staffed. The food selections were very limited, and the fried chicken-type food we saw people eating looked very heavy on the deep-fried coating and very light on chicken meat. One person mentioned an almost complete lack of vegetarian options.

There are no water fountains in the entire park. Bottled water is $2.79 for a small bottle (1/2 liter).

The restrooms were not the cleanest.

Saugerties, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Place for Kids”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

It was my second trip to the attraction with my grandchildren. The park is geared toward children and they have everything from water rides to carnival rides, a parade, a show, shops, restaurants, etc. The kids love it. The drawback is it is very crowded and the restaurants are expensive.

Long Island, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Time of Our Lives!”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

My son (2-1/2) and his little friend (3-1/2) went on 8/7/09. We had a ball. Parking was convenient although we paid $15, which I think is part of any attraction park price. Once there, we rented a locker ($20....steep) but hey! In any case, the kids loved it. We tackled the dry rides first then witness the parade at 2pm. All teh characters came out dancing and shaking heads. They were so excited to see full size Elmo, Big bird, Count and all. We went from rides to rides. The lines moved fairly quickly and to see them grinning and pulling my hands for the next ride was priceless. After the parade, lunch which I thought was reasonable, $9.99 per meal. We headed towards the water ride, although a little shy about the experience, they enjoyed watching more than joining in the fun. We laughed, we talked, we hugged and the day was full of love and bonding moments.

I can't wait to go back next year and it will be definitely a 2 day package :-)
Long Island, New York

2 Thank funbuglongisland
Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“It has its pros and cons”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Ok, we went to Sesame Place this past Monday. I must say it had its ups and downs. For starters, expensive. It will cost you $15 just to park. You want a locker, its $20. To eat, that was another $25, for two of us. I brought food for my 2 year old. We got there right when it opens which I would suggest to do. We did a lot of things in the first two hours. Then, the crowds hit. I could not believe how crowded it was. In my opinion, they should have stopped letting people into the park. The water attractions were full, you couldnt find a seat to eat and the bathrooms were getting terribly nasty. Also, there is no shade. All of the lines are out in the sun. I was a little surprised at how dirty the bathrooms and things were for the price we paid per ticket. Even with the pepsi discount it was $42 a ticket. The workers are less than friendly. We did encounter many rude visitors and it was getting so crowded that my son was being stepped on and pushed out of the way by bigger kids in the toddler area. These kids had no business being there but no one was regulating. The parade was nice if you can grab a spot to see it. Sesame Place is a lot smaller than I thought. We did everything in two hours. After 1 pm, it was too crowded and we left by 2. My advice, go early in the morning and then leave for lunch. Go somewhere offsite. Come back in the evening when the crowds have gone. The one big pro is that my son did have a great time. He is still talking about it. We were bummed that we saw only 2 characters walking around. That was it. I am not sure if we will come back as I dont know that it was worth the money. If there were less crowds and it was cleaner, we would come back for sure.

2 Thank Olive1130