“Renovated?”

Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Albany,NY
“Renovated?”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I read reviews saying this hotel had been renovated since their last trip. I can't imagine what it must have been before. I thought it was dark and dreary. The first room I was given smelled like dirty feet. when I tried to call the front desk, the phone didn't work. The plug that goes into the phone was broken. I walked down and asked for a new room. The front desk was pleasant about switching. My next room, had brown water puddles on the floor and brown spots on the side of the tub. I called down and asked to have it cleaned before we returned. The desk sent up someone, who apologized and said they would take are of it. I stated this was unacceptable and I wanted a discount on my room .When I got back, the bathroom had been cleaned.
My mom felt she needed to put a towel on top of the pillow, for her to be able to sleep. I had my own pillow from home. Mom slept with her coat on because she felt uncomfortable using the blanket. We both used only the sheets. The blankets looked old and had holes in them.
We did not see any bugs, thank goodness.
The walls were dingy and paint peeling. The mini fridge had thick ice inside. No shampoo, only a tiny sliver of soap was supplied.The dark bedspreads and curtains did nothing to add to the ambiance of the room.
Another member of our group stated she had some stink bugs on the wall in her room. Another stated the light on the wall kept flickering AFTER it was turn off. She tried to call the front desk at 1 am, but no one answered. She even called her husband at home and told him she was afraid that there was a short and the room might catch fire.Thank goodness it did not. She did mention it to the front desk in the morning.
There was coffee and pastry /muffins on the breakfast table. Only coffee mate packets..no real milk. We did eat at Dunkin Donuts which was right next door.
Our group will not be staying there in the Spring, when we come back to Sight and Sound Theater.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue B
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit with us. The items that you mentioned have been corrected and steps put in place to ensure they do not happen again. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I hope you will give us another chance to show that we can do better. I hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 12, 2013

On my way back from State College, I stopped over in Lancaster to meet a business associate. The meeting got late and had to spend the night in Lancaster. This hotel was only a block away from my meeting place so checked in. The price was very good. The room was clean and look like it was recently remodeled. There was a big indoor pool compared to the many hotels that I have stayed at in recent years. Very limited breakfast but there was a dunkin donuts drive thru right next to the hotel. Also checked into the big slides sticking out of the building. This hotel was connected to the Caribbean Indoor Waterpark. Park open on the weekends according to the staff. It look like a fun thing for the kids to do during the winter months when it is cold outside. Plan to take my kids up during Thanksgiving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Marcus N
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! The Caribbean Indoor Water Park is open year round on the weekends. Kids love it and I'm sure your kids will as well! I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Scotts Valley, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were concerned to day at this hotel, because of the mix comments. However we found the hotel clean and great location. Our room had a queen bed with a nice mini refrigerator. There was an iron and board along with a hair dryer also. The hotel had an indoor swimming pool, which was nice to relax since it was a heated pool. The breakfast was limited to coffee, donuts, and muffins; but there was a Mc Donalds and Dunkin Donuts next to the hotel. Sight and Sound theater was about 10 minutes away just past all the outlet malls. I loved the show and heard that next year there is a new show called Moses. We definitely plan to go see that show, the tickets are selling pretty fast according to the ticket lady we talk to that day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe C
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am also happy to hear that you had a great time at our indoor heated pool. As you mentioned, we are centrally located to everything in Lancaster and are easily accessible to/from Route 30 via a traffic signal by our hotel. We hear that "Moses" at Sight & Sound Theater is going to be a good and popular show next year. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I arrived late, and needed a place to rest. The location was great. Conveniently located near a shopping center and historical sites. The hotel was only a few miles away from the hospital that my mother was admitted. We stay about a week and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Mr. Bannon , the manager, sympathized for our mother and even provided flowers for her after her surgery. Now on when ever we go back to Lancaster we will definitely stay at this hotel just for fact of the good people working there. The hotel did have an indoor pool and an indoor waterpark. It look like fun for familys with kids.

1 Thank Bill M
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that the staff was accomodating to you during your mothers surgery and I hope she has a speedy recovery. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm going to start with the bad part of this hotel:

Upon checking in, I went to unplug the coffee maker (which was plugged into an extension cord, with an adapter because the extension cord did not have a ground prong) so our kid wouldn't play with it, and GOT SHOCKED. Like full out, 120 volt shocked. I then found that the extension cord it was plugged into was completely missing one half of the cover, and had electrical leads exposed (which is what I accidently touched). We also then noticed that the floor did not appear to have been vacuumed - there was a raisin, a piece of a potato chip, and a plastic bead, among other things, laying on the carpet in the room.

I went to the front desk (with cord in hand) to tell them about it, and was offered a new extension cord. Not someone to come check the rest of the plugs, or anything else, but simply a new extension cord. I then told them about the carpet being dirty - to which I was pretty much told that the cleaning staff had left and he'd have to ask what to do about it. No one ever came to vacuum.

Later, we found that the blankets had large holes in them (which appeared to maybe be cigarette burns), the sheets had minor stains, the walls had unpatched holes where things had been removed or where doors had slammed into the wall, the bathroom had small patches of mold near the ceiling and on the caulk, the door latches had been relocated with mismatching screws at a slight angle, the air conditioner was extremely loud, etc, etc, etc.

Then, to top it all off - we're pretty sure the room wasn't even vacuumed for the second night of our stay. I was OK with the lack of toiletries (besides two tiny bars of soap), the crappy towels, the older/cheaper furniture, the slightly peeling wallpaper, etc - after all, this is a budget hotel, but it seems like the basic standards of maintenance and cleanliness just weren't kept

We decided on this hotel because we wanted a suite so our toddler could go to bed early in one room while we stayed up in the other, the price was hard to beat, and the hotel was conveniently located for us. These were about the only good things about it for us (along with staff, that while seemingly confused about a lot of things, were pretty nice), and the only reason I gave it two stars instead of one.

1 Thank Josh T
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered less than desirable conditions in your room. The extension cord has been replaced with a brand new cord and all other outlets and cords within the room were checked to ensure their integrity. We are currently finalizing plans for our winter projects, which includes new blankets and repair/replacement of wallpaper, among other things. I again apologize for what you encountered and I hope you will give us another chance to show you that we can do better. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay!
Knightdale, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our family of about 150 ask me to organize a reunion. Most of the members live in the north east so we looked for a nice area to meet. After looking thru the internet I found Lancaster was the most central for everyone. We booked this hotel because of the proximity of all the shopping centers near by and the fact that they had an indoor waterpark, which many of the kids loved ! We pretty much too over the entire hotel. They had a meeting room which they let us use for no charge and they had a catered breakfast each morning just for our group, also at no charge. We all had a great time and definitely will always use Lancaster as the reunion hub for our family in the future.

7 Thank Deb B
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am also happy to hear that you and your entire family had a great time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We currently have some specials running for group bookings, so give us a call to reserve your rooms for next year! I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Burley, Idaho
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were looking for a good clean hotel close to everything in Lancaster, and a co worker told us about this hotel. The place was an older property but was a good value and clean. The hotel was indeed only a few blocks from the outlet store center. There were many restaurants to eat from along the road. The hotel had an indoor pool and coffee and muffins. My wife wanted to use the spa in the indoor waterpark so I did pay about $12 for each of us. We had the entire day to use the indoor waterpark. It was pretty nice. We had a nice time and a very relaxing time for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack Z
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am also happy to hear that you had a great time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. As you mentioned, we are centrally located to everything in Lancaster and are easily accessible to/from Route 30 via a traffic signal by our hotel. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!