“Avoid at all costs! Sleep in your car if you have to!”
Review of Continental Inn

and 1 more site!
Continental Inn
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
“Avoid at all costs! Sleep in your car if you have to!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever slept in. The rooms are horrible small, the beds are tiny, (I'm not from the lollipop guild). No outlets. Smells like mold. I actually checked the beds for bugs! Slept in all my clothes and never crossed my mind to get under covers. We got stuck here, because the soccer tourney gets kickbacks from the hotels. And they charged out credit card 3 weeks in advance. If not, I would've been checking out. But then the team gets disqualified. Seriously not worth 19.99 a night! Horrible! So outdated, smelly, nasty! How others gave this hotel 5 stars, I don't understand! There were dead flies in the drawers. They had fly swatters with their hotel name in em in drawers.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank MibbyP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
NY
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I guess everyone has had different experiences with this hotel, but all I have to say is that it was great. The only negative thing I have to say is that the bed was way too soft!!!! The staff was friendly, the room was clean and they also give you 2 free complete hot breakfasts every morning!!! They have outdoor and indoor pools, whirpool, sauna, game room!!! I only paid $66.00 a night but I went in December so I guess it was cheaper than what others paid because of the season. Another plus is that it is located near everything (restaurants, shopping, outlets, etc.) I would definately stay here again and would recommend you to try it!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PEANUTS777
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I want to start with a statement about my expectations. We participated in The Hempfield Classic Soccer Tournament, November 17 & 18, 2012. One of the requirements of this tournament was that our team stay 2 nights at an approved hotel, booked through the tournament. When I was looking at reviews, I also used Priceline to get a room quote. The room we stayed in would be available for $68 under normal conditions. We were charged $120 per night and had to stay a night we would not have otherwise. My review reflects my expectations of a $240 plus tax, fees, and often mentioned tips weekend hotel stay. The number 1 ranked hotel in Lancaster, the Best Western Premier is in the same price range as this motel. Last summer we stayed at the fabulous Marriot Baltimore Inner Harbor Camden Yards for a summer promotion. King sized room and parking was $130. This stay has set the standard.

My biggest complaint, and the one that made our stay unsatisfactory, was that this is a motel, not a hotel. At $120 per night in the rural countryside, I expect a hotel with security and comfort. Our room opened to a parking lot backing woods and a campground on one side and a farm on the other. Had I been traveling with younger children, I would have been much more nervous. As a woman alone with a middle schooler I was not completely at ease.

Positives:
Staff. By far the greatest asset of the Continental Inn is the staff. From check-in until check-out all the staff was friendly and helpful.
Generally Clean.
Towels were clean, white and absorbent.
Shower water pressure.
Lobby included a small sitting area with a gas fireplace, game room, small bar and breakfast restaurant.
Started breakfast early due to game schedule.
Mini Refrigerator.
WiFi was reliable at the far end of the complex.

Neutral:
Breakfast - would have liked bacon and waffles and they had trouble keeping up with demand early Saturday morning. I arrived shortly after 7 when they opened and several people were waiting for pancakes and they were out of scrambled eggs and sausage. It was busy and they wanted people who arrived minutes after me to join tables with strangers. We went later on Sunday and there were no issues.

Negatives:
Old. Not just outdated but worn out.
Mildew musty smell.
Built-In Air and Heating Unit. I have developed allergies and these units used for temperature control cause me problems anywhere. Our room has a cigarette can just beside our door. Although it was clean and remained that way, the stale cigarette smell was trapped in our filter and released whenever the fan was on. My hair sucked it in and I smelled like I had been to a bar in the 80’s. I couldn’t wait until an appropriate hour to get a shower and wash.
Manure smell. While it is not the hotels fault, and farms are certainly expected in Lancaster. Had this been a HOTEL, the air would have been clean in the building. It was just one of those bonding moments with the parents of our team. I was so happy to be clean and fresh. I went to breakfast in the lobby which is air conditioned and not backing the farm. As soon as I turned the corner to our side of the complex WHAM! Sure enough, the odor permeated our room as well!
Sheets. These are horrible. Old, rough, faded, elastic stretched so the bottom sheet doesn’t stay in place, perhaps a thread count of 75. Shameful.
Pillow. One pillow was acceptable on my bed, the other was perhaps the thickness and firmness of our comforter at home.
TV channels. This was a soccer tournament, we are sports fans. All we watch are sporting events and sports shows. No ESPN!!!! If our stay had included Thursday, Sunday or Monday we could have watched football on the NFL channel, but no other sports channel available.
No microwave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy S
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is the quality of a hotel that I would expect to pay around $50 per night. However, at $120 per night, I was sadly disappointed. We happened to get lucky with a room that did not smell of smoke. But 2 other couples in our group weren't so lucky- even though their rooms were supposed to be non smoking. We were in room 104 and the walls are paper thin and you can hear people all around. We were also surprised to find that this is a Motel; do not be fooled by the website. The room decor is severely dated and the beds must be 50 years old. The heat cycles on and off frequently. On the positive side, there is free wi-fi, the lobby was very presentable, and there was free breakfast (but not the best variety). There was also a refrigerator in our room which was nice. In conclusion, I would not stay here again even for $50 per night since there's more value for the money up and down the street.

Stayed November 2012
Mendon
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I cannot understand all these 5 star reviews of this place. The beds were like boards, the curtains where filthy and probably hadn't been cleaned since they were put up some time in the 70's.

I stayed 4 nights and could barley sleep on these beds. The blankets were old and stained, the beadspreads were disgusting and the whole place had a crappy vibe. I thought I was booking a room at an Inn - this is a MOTEL folks. They placed us on the second floor but there was no elevator to get your suitcases up there so we had to drag it up many stairs.

I will say they had some nice amenities for families. Indoor pool, swing set etc. The grounds were nice but I was there for business and could have used a comfortable bed. The pillows were horrible and I went to walmart and bought a decent pillow so that I could get any sleep at all.

The owners wife who greeted us with a scowl every morning at breakfast was like the gestapo. I overheard her telling another patron who wanted to take some breakfast back to her husband that she couldn't take the dish out of the diningroom in the nastiest manner.

If I could give this place no stars I would but I have to settle for one. Buyer BEWARE!

Room Tip: GO somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dyana_165
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Because we had to cancel reservations elsewhere in Lancaster, we came upon the Continental Inn quite by chance. We always take two rooms so we were pleasantly surprised when we were given adjoining rooms with a connecting door. Even when I book months in advance it is difficult to get adjoining rooms. Here we were, latecomers, and they were able to accommodate us.
Since they were completely booked, we could only stay three nights but---we shall return.

Included in the room rate is a bountiful, full hot buffet breakfast elegantly presented and served. No plastic here---at table coffee service poured by attentive servers. The poolside rooms afford a view of the children's play area as well as the pool and an expansive lawn. Indoors, in another on premises building, there is another pool, a children's pool and hot tub.

Even though this venue is in the heart of all Lancaster has to offer, it still offers a peaceful stay with comfortable, CLEAN rooms. Not only do I recommend Continental Inn, I gave a stay here as gift to friends. What more can I say?

Room Tip: The rooms are on two levels. Take the lower if you want easy access.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LONGISLANDER21
Harbeson, Delaware, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2012

room was extremely clean bath water was hot and towels were big and soft breakfast was very good and hot staff was very polite,extremely friendly and helpful didn't go in pool but water looked very clean and clear

Room Tip: we stayed near the front and we did get woke up by the people walking by and talking
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends