“Don't Believe the Bad Reviews”
Review of Continental Inn

and 1 more site!
Continental Inn
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here for just one night in July 2011 but it was a very positive experience. Room rate was reasonable, room was clean and breakfast (free) was good. They have a great pool, swings and slide for the kids, badminton and volley ball nets, shuffleboard court, basketball court and tennis also. Well lit at night with patio tables, chairs and umbrellas to lounge around and watch the kids. Is it an older facility? yes, 70's I would say. Are the bathrooms old style? Yes, but clean-floors,walls,tub and grout. If you want marble, stay at the Hilton! Bugs? Sure, leave your door open and the mosquitos will come in but our room was bug free, with great a/c and a refrigerator. Oh, also had two game rooms and an indoor pool and spa for the colder weather. Would not hesitate to stay here anytime I am in Lancaster!

5  Thank jeffdanger

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Just got back from a family outting with the grands. We read the reviews, but as I was always told stop listening to others use your own judgement. Front desk you may not feel the love (no smiles) but that is okay. Went to the room not a $100,000 room but it felt comfortable. No smells at all except freshness. If you want a place where you want to feel like you could never get board, try it. Indoor/Outdoor pools baby pools, sauna's game rooms with pool tables, whirlpool, tennis court, volleyball/badminton nets. teeda ball, shuffle boards chairs & tables with umbrella, gazebo with refreshments & real drinks. laundry room. refrigerator (no microwave) flat screen tv. free breakfast for 2 adults. Across the street from shopping outlets and so many different types of eateries in the area. It was right next door to a putt putt golf & right next to that was Dutch Wonderland, yes I mean right next door. Yes we were on ground floor & saw a couple of very small spiders in room ok but not bugs ceawling everywhere. I did not have shower curtains attacking me they had the curtain rods that goes out to a semi circle. So if you do not think you are one of those bushie people i think you would think this was a great place & what more could you ask for. Now you be the judge.

Room Tip: Best side is pool side - cost a few dollars more but well wortj it & ground level to walk right...
4  Thank jamlightrice
Reviewed July 4, 2011

What can I say about this motel? Not much. We won our state cup soccer championship and had to stay at this place. We were told if we stayed elsewhere and the tournament found out that our club would be fined $750. We had to pay $130 plus tax a night! The motel I am told by the staff was only given $70. We had NO breakfast included because the motel decided that because they were not given all the $$ they would not provide breakfast and this was part of their contract with the tournament officials.... maybe so but not very good customer service that is for sure.

THE STAFF:
I had been in contact with Rodney the manager by phone since Heidi the group sales manager NEVER returned a phone message that I left (I left several). I am disabled and require certain arrangements. While he was helpful on the phone he was a no-show at the motel. I went down to complain and was met by a "helpful" yet "hostile" staff which relayed that Rodney made some phone calls and he "solved" the problem. The problem is this... I am in a non-smoking handicapped room attached to another room as my in-laws came with me and I had to BBQ's set up to the left and right of me blowing smoke into my room via the AC which was a wall unit. I couldn't really breathe. I am told Rodney called the rooms and solved the problem and I should be all set. Well I wasn't all set, more smoke came in but I do have to say the maintenance/housekeeping staff really went out of their way to try and help. They couldn't solve the problem but they are the only ones who actually cared to try and help. Also my in-laws woke up to find 3 lug nuts on their vehicle were "loosened". This is pretty scary. I would not let the kids out (my kids are 16 and 13 by the way) by themselves because the corner that we were forced to stay in had some questionable gentleman outside partying until the very early morning hours. The non-smoking wing had cigarette butts all over the ground where we parked.

THE ROOM:
Outdated - 70's? However had TV with several channels, had hair dryer, refrigerator. 2 double beds with bedding that doesn't fit. Shower head barely lets water out and squirts all over the place. I had to buy a shower curtain liner because I didn't want to touch the very outdated very dirty/stained shower curtain. Mattresses were fairly new so not a problem there. Stains all over pillows, we bought our own. Blankets appeared clean but after the pillow thing, we bought our own. My daughter was HORRIFIED by all the bugs. There was spiders, flying bugs etc. We were told if we didn't leave the door open it isn't a problem. Well not really true. My daughter bought a tent at the local WALMART and actually slept in it. She set it up, put it on the bed and left it zipped. We all made fun of her. Well jokes on us, I have bug bites on my arms and legs... she doesn't. Rooms smell of smoke from BBQ's outside rooms and ashtrays located next to every non-smoking room.

RESTAURANT: No review, after reading what was written here and having breakfast now not included I refused to eat at this place. If there are bugs in my room, I can only imagine what the kitchen looked like.

OUTSIDE AMENITIES: This is actually the plus side. There was some volleyball nets, a playground (for little kids but the 13 year olds still had fun!), pools, tennis courts. The sidewalk is in need of replacement as is most of this place but due to the buildings age, if the motel replaces anything they have to bring up to current building code so this won't happen. However the kids run around the courtyard and have fun. It is family friendly courtyard in the fact that you can really keep an eye on the little ones.

LOCATION: This is also a plus if you want to be on a major route near everything. We were 20 minutes away from our fields, 50 minutes away from Hershey park and there is a dutch wonderland for little ones next door. Shopping is up the street as are chain restaurants so that is a definite plus. Amish attractions/farms are all over as well.

MY CONCLUSION:
So the reason for the 2 out of 5 is basically the bugs and the staff. If you have little ones I recommend elsewhere because it is too dirty to really let them play. If you don't mind smoke (BBQ's everywhere) then you might get by because the AC's blow the smoke into the room and since I mind it this really bothered me. It is in the country so I know bugs are to be expected however since everything is so out of code bugs get in even when you are extremely careful to keep the doors shut. Also the smell of manure/farms is extremely pungent in the summer. So it can stink. If you are going to stay at a motel to save $$ you really don't make out here because there regular rates are a bit pricey. Yes they include breakfast but lets face it... breakfast buffets are everywhere and they are all pretty cheap.

Although my review is long I hope it helps. I tried to be very thorough. My basic impression is this is the place I would have gone in my early 20's with a bunch of friends to party and save money (since no one really checks up on you, well you can cram a whole bunch of people partying into 1 room!)...... not with my family and I am in my 30's........

Room Tip: Inner courtyard is the place to be located.
9  Thank Sasse2222
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I had a soccer tournament here and we were forced to stay there for the week (otherwise the team would be disqualified) and just reading the reviews, I was terrified of staying at this motel. As soon as we arrived, I found the front desk very sassy and rude. When we got in the room, I ran out of the room. I was HORRIFIED. There was bugs everywhere! On the walls, bugs were smooshed, there were alive ones crawling/flying everywhere! And the people there had the answer of "were in the country, what do you expect?" I went to a Walmart down the street and bought myself a tent for the room! And I still felt dirty! People in rooms along our wing had BBQ's, which normally wouldn't bother me except that the smoke came in through the AC! We had maintenance try to fix the AC (they were very nice, but they couldn't really do anything.) So either we had to deal with smoke, or sweat to death. MY TENT WAS HOT! The floors were dirty...and that was disgusting. The bathroom was puny, and the shower curtains attacked you! They like stuck to you and they weren't very clean either... Outside was very nice but they shouldn't of spent money on that, instead they should of spent money on the rooms. I will never ever stay back at the motel and I recommend you don't stay here. MY MOM FOUND BUG BITES ON HER! Thank god for my tent :)

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank jennyjen76
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed at the Continental Inn several times in the past 5 years and eventhough I do see some disturbing reviews, out stay has always been nice, however; we are locals and stay in the off season to take advantage of the indoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, gameroom, ping pong, and free breakfast. They may have time in the off-season to clean it better and bugs are not as much of an issue with the cold. I have NEVER seen a bug in any of the rooms but I do admit they are very dated. I think this is how they keep costs down. Bedspreads, linens and the bathroom were always clean but the decor is old, dark and dated but usable and the rooms are set up nicely. On the weekends or when there is a lot of people or a holiday, there are two free breakfasts and it is a buffet (a small buffet). Less busier times the free breakfast you can order off the menu which is nicer. Despite all the comments about the dining staff and front office staff, everyone I have talked to or been waited on by has been extremely friendly and I think the staff is one of the Continental Inn's best attributes next to all the stuff they have for kids.

Now onto my favorite part, the facility amenities...there is ping pong (you have to purchase ping pong ball for 50 cents at a machine but keep the ball or bring your own and you can reduce or avoid this chg). Ping pong table is in the indoor pool area and in the game room in the lobby. They have a nice, heated indoor pool, indoor small baby wading pool, indoor hot tub, indoor sauna, and lounger seating indoors that has ultra violet tanning (not strong but enough to simulate natural light) lights above some (a bonus for me!). Also, there is a changing room at the indoor pool as well. You do have a short walk, outside (but with a top cover) to get to the indoor pool facilities. In the main lobby is a small game room with ping pong and billiards and this is where the Le Fluer restuarant is located, again, as this is a motel, you do have an outside walk to get to the lobby/game area. Summer ammenities outside also offer an outdoor pool, nice playground for kids, tether ball, and tennis courts which is a lot for a budget hotel (under 100 dollars in the winter and very reasonable rate in the summer as well. 10% off for AAA members.
Now, for the bad part, I do think they could do a deep cleaning and rooms would be nicer, also, while some rooms are labled as non-smoking, remember at one time you could smoke in ANY room so many do have a smokey smell to them but I never found this to be overpowering. If you are real picky or have kids that are young enough to still stick things in their mouth, or have severe allergies or asthma, you may want to find another place but my family including my brother in law and sister, all who have kids 6-12, love this place and the kids bug me constantly to go to the Continental Inn. Individual breakfast is tastier than the buffet but the buffet is not bad.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank laurenasm
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My family stayed there as part of a larger group. In speaking to other members of the group, we all agreed that this place is a Dump! The rooms were infested with bugs and the hotel staff were rude. The rooms actually come with fly swatters so the hotel ownership and staff know there is a problem. I don't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lwbaron
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I traveled with my husband and son last June. We had a great time. We walked to Dutch Wonderland. The breakfast was great. The grounds were perfect with indoor and outdoor pools and playground. Planning another trip for this June.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family